“21st birthday celebration in The Orangery” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Balbirnie House

Balbirnie House
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Markinch
Lochgelly, United Kingdom
“21st birthday celebration in The Orangery”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 23, 2014

am not usually given to write to complain or compliment but after last night I felt compelled to. I was there for dinner with my family as it was my daughter, Rhianna's, 21st birthday. We came for another 2 of my kids 21st's so it has become somewhat of a tradition. We also come at other times too such as Christmas eve and just when we feel we deserve it lol.

The reason I have chosen this occasion to write is because the service and ambience was even more enjoyable than usual. All the waiting staff were attentive and lovely. Your bar staff were also fantastic. I had the most enjoyable Singapore Sling I have ever had, so special thanks to your bearded barman -(I wish I had paid more attention to everyones names, but I hope you and they know who I mean.)

The little touches such as the birthday card and decorated plate just added to the whole experience.

Please pass on our thanks to ALL the staff we interacted with whilst there, they made my daughters birthday

• Stayed April 2014, traveled with family
3 Thank Callum O
Nicholas R, Owner at Balbirnie House, responded to this review, April 24, 2014
Hello Callum, and thank you so much for taking the time to post such a kind review, and for denoting 5 Stars. That is very much appreciated, and we're delighted to hear that we have done so well. All the best to you and your family. (Some positivity projected out into the great ether will clearly also go full circle, so that is something for you to look forward to!!!)

For all daily updates and photographs, competitions and offers, please do head on over and join The Balbirnie House Hotel Facebook page, we have more than 5,500 individuals who now receive Balbirnie’s Daily Updates, and exciting chat! This is now an accumulating historical archive of information, a celebration of life in and around Balbirnie. Our gratitude as always.

Twitter is now also very much an integral part of what we do, albeit somewhat more briefly stated than my TripAdvisor responses! I am myself on @BalbirnieHouse, our MC’s and Duty Managers are @DM_BALBIRNIE - All talking daily about what goes into our complex operations, as well as the generalities of how wonderful it is to work within the hotel sector. Out front and also from behind the scenes…

To read a further selection of our monthly guestbook comments and reviews, from guests known to have stayed in our hotel, or who have visited as a guest, please do take just a few moments to visit our main web site. (We also list these on a monthly basis on Facebook.)

From the many lovely emails, presents, cards and letters which we receive, and in tandem with our guestbook records, every month we take a selection of those additional comments and place them on our latest news Guest Comment sections. As always, our thanks to Donna Reid from our reception team, who takes the time every month to collate all of those very lovely comments and reviews. These can of course be fully trusted, and accepted as reality.

If there is ever any element of guest dissatisfaction whatsoever, then I would always ask please that any guest with any legitimate complaint, no matter how small, contacts me personally to discuss. (If we have ever made an error, and it can sometimes happen, then we would always appreciate an opportunity to redeem your perspective. Mistakes are however quite rare, as any reader can see from the overview of our reviews!)

Most helpfully intended- we point out to all readers of TripAdvisor ‘reviews’, that these ‘reviews’ are never ever checked for factual accuracy. Furthermore, reviews are expressed subjectively and very much as personal opinions. We have had numerous comments over the course of time which are misleading and factually incorrect, and from correspondence with TripAdvisor, nothing can be done whatsoever to correct them. Additionally, as hoteliers we sometimes never know who the reviewer actually is, as ‘reviews’ are incognito. We’re accustomed these days for accepting TripAdvisor for what it is, and we hope that our comments and replies bring some joy somewhere.

With my kindest regards from all at Balbirnie House,

Best wishes from all at Balbirnie, Nicholas Russell/ General Manager/ Balbirnie House - 1992 – Present

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (132)
Northern Ireland
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 22, 2014

As we had an early flight we arrived at 11.30am, check in was not until 2pm. We were able to drop off our bags and returned at 1.45 and were told very abruptly that "check in is at 2"! We asked for a room close to reception/ restaurant etc as I have walking difficulties, we had been allocated the 2nd floor so had to ask to be moved to the ground floor.The room was large and clean but rather shabby. Some other areas of the hotel were also shabby and I was surprised at the 4* rating. The food was good however and the wedding we attended was lovely and well organised by the staff.
I thought the reception staff were rather unfriendly and not a good reflection on Scottish hospitality. I was rather surprised to find there was no swimming pool or spa & some of our friends also commented on this.

Room Tip: Some of the rooms had been updated although I'm not sure how many so it is worth asking.
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled with friends
1 Thank barbarobin
Nicholas R, Owner at Balbirnie House, responded to this review, April 24, 2014
Hello Barbarobin, Well we cannot apologise, and will not apologise - for failing to provide access to accommodation prior to 2pm, when the accommodation check-in time isn't physically until 2pm. You have obviously taken exception to that.???

I think that we have to make a differential also in between what you term as 'shabby', and what I term as 'old'. Balbirnie is a Grade A Listed Georgian mansion dating back to 1777, and we work very proudly around the original areas of the house.

Almost 50 areas brand new refurbished last year. 10 or so already this year. Please refer to Facebook for our rolling program of investment. Balbirnie is without any shadow of doubt currently looking at her best in history.

And goodness me, you are extremely unfair to complain there is no pool or spa, when our advertised provision of services is crystal clear in terms of what we do provide. Such comments akin to those of a certain Mrs Richards on Fawlty Towers? To which Mr Fawlty replied-... 'Perhaps you were expecting or going to see The Eiffel Tower outside your bedroom? Or the leaning Tower of Pisa? The Hanging gardens of Babylon? Or perhaps a stampeding heard of wildebeest?'

Delighted to hear that the wedding was lovely and well organised. That is lovely to hear. In the last 12 days Balbirnie has catered for 11 large weddings - an accumulating history of Memories are Made of This. Our congratulations and best wishes to all who have joined the wonderful Institution of Marriage.

Perth
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 14, 2014 via mobile

My partner and I stayed overnight at Balbirnie with family recently ( first time away since having our little girl).... We booked out 3 rooms. We arrived at 13.30 ish and on arrival knew check in was for 1400hrs, staff were more than happy for us to sit in lounge and we ordered tea while waiting until 2. There was clearly a wedding being set up and guest were arriving, we were told we could not enter the public bar area due to wedding ceremony due to begin and also on popping to reception at 2 for check in we were advised to sit back in the lounge and wait until the wedding had started. I went back to the lounge feeling a little trapped as wedding parties arrived we could go out main doors, or in to public bar area, we weren't booked in to our room and with a 4 month old baby unsettled indoors we felt a little claustrophobic.

However, at half past 2 we approached the reception desk again to ask if we could book in and advised that we had a 3rd floor room, we had baby in pram, another wait in the lounge before reception found us a ground floor room which was easier, room 105, the room was small but the house keeper told us that the rooms on 3rd floor were of the same standard and only rooms on 2nd floor were the delux ones...... Our room had a loose toilet seat, 2 wall lamps with no bulbs, peeling wallpaper above bathroom sink, no fridge or bottled water which I'd expect from a 4* and the shower was grubby, hair in plug hole and mouldy grouting, the pressure in the shower was awful so abandoned shower for a quick bath in the morning.

Disappointing as was excited about coming back especially with my new family..... I have previously stayed in hotel 2 years ago as a bridesmaid at a friends wedding there and had a lovely room on the 2nd floor.

On the plus, House keeping were very friendly and set up travel cot and bedding ( our baby slept great!!) . Grounds lovely, golf course and staff brilliant, hotel Staff were friendly and polite and dinner and breakfast in the orangery was delightful and accommodated 5 adults and a pram superbly :) just disappointed In room.

Would avoid a stay when weddings on as main hotel area and bar was too claustrophobic and restricted during day.

Stayed April 2014, traveled with family
2 Thank Jill S
Nicholas R, Owner at Balbirnie House, responded to this review, April 24, 2014
Hello Jill, I see this is also your first review, so welcome to TripAdvisor!

I have already fully replied to your original 'review', which you then removed, changed and re-posted, (in that process any 'reply' is auto-deleted) so I am now writing a second reply.

We wish you had let us know about the pram, or requested a ground floor room as part of the reservation process, as there is certainly scope to do that. In our haste to move you from one floor to the next, and then the next, so as to satisfy your requests on the day, what has happened is straightforward, you have inadvertently been assigned a bedroom which was still awaiting a service visit from our maintenance crew, as well as finishing touches and Housekeeping amenity. This explains why there were missing lightbulbs etc Please rest assured Dear Readers- we are not in the habit of providing bedrooms with missing lightbulbs!!!!!!!! In any event I apologise wholeheartedly for what happened.

Those matters notwithstanding, our sincere gratitude for the positives - 'Grounds lovely, golf course and staff brilliant, hotel Staff were friendly and polite and dinner and breakfast in the orangery was delightful and accommodated 5 adults and a pram superbly :)' (In passing, we do not own the golf course, Balbirnie Park is owned and run by the members themselves) ...

2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 14, 2014

Well me and family arrived early so had a drink , very welcoming and when we checked in we had to wait a other half a hour till they give us a room on third floor , we had a pram and four months baby so asked for a change so got room on first floor , I know what it's like as I also work in the hospitality industry , but when we got to the room I thought we were in a four star but the room was not up to that, there were two lights never had bulbs ,the toilet pan was not fixed against the back plate and the tile grout was yellow and also hardly any pressure in the shower ,
On the good side the food was great and also ur staff were polite and friendly

Room Tip: Try to get room on second floor
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled with family
4 Thank Barry W
Nicholas R, Owner at Balbirnie House, responded to this review, April 17, 2014
Hello Barry, I see this is your first TripAdvisor review, welcome to this unique online community.

As the review above your is clearly written by your partner, to avoid duplication I shall reply to that one.

Kindest regards from Balbirnie,

Nicholas
Glasgow, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 9, 2014

My Fiance and I stayed at Balbirnie House last weekend. It was a beautiful hotel, with absolutely stunning grounds. Our room was lovely, roomy and bright from the lovely sunshine. The food in the restaurant was delicious!

The disappointing factor was the service we received (or lack of). My Fiance woke up in the middle of the night very thirsty; we realised there was no bottled water in the room, so we phoned reception (the tap water wasn’t running clear, and was luke warm so we weren’t risking drinking that). It was very concerning that no-one picked up the phone at reception, despite the fact the hotel brochure stated that there would be someone at reception throughout the night. We tried ringing a few times, before giving up!

At breakfast (again the food was lovely!), we were shown to our table and offered tea/coffee, but were not told how the breakfast service worked – buffet or table service. It wasn’t that difficult to figure out, but this kind of thing is quite a basic part of the service, in any hotel.

When we checked out, at no point were we asked how our stay was/how we enjoyed ourselves. Just here is the bill, thanks.

Would we stay again? For the hotel grounds, décor and food yes. The service would have to have definitely improved though.

I must also point out that I was a little hesitant to put a review on here, because any reviewer who has stated the niggles they found at the hotel (based on their experience there) and knocked the star rating down to 3 or even 4 in some instances, has been slated in quite a rude manner by the owner; as opposed to taking on their feedback in a constructive manner.

Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
3 Thank NMcD2014
Nicholas R, Owner at Balbirnie House, responded to this review, April 11, 2014
Hello NMAug2014, and I see this is your very first TripAdvisor review - welcome!
I firstly convey my congratulations to your good self and your fiancé. May I enquire as to a decision having been made with regard to choice of venue? We have some 170 large weddings taking place at Balbirnie this year, and it is so incredibly wonderful as hoteliers, to see such an accumulating history of Memories being Made of This. Please do head on over to our main web site to see what we can do for weddings. And on Facebook, my goodness - our daily album updates are all there to see. Additionally please do head on over to YouTube and type in 'BALBIRNIE HOUSE - BEHIND THE LENS' - almost 10 minutes of montage of some of our favourite ever wedding snaps. If you would care to visit for a site inspection, please let us know.

In reply to your comments, and I am sorry if you feel my previous replies have not been to your satisfaction, I would firstly say that if we ever get something wrong, then I am the first to acknowledge. Furthermore however, if somebody has stated something which is factually incorrect about our facilities, services or brigade, then I have no hesitation in correcting. That is after all my prerogative to do so. TripAdvisor by it's very nature can attract the occasional polar opposite, such is life.... I note as well, all my previous replies have asked anyone with any 'issue' to contact me direct. I haven't heard from you in any context ...

In reply to your comments - we do have an overnight paging system, but on the night in question our night porter was dealing with an entirely unexpected circumstance with other guests, which can happen sometimes. I apologise for the failure to answer your call during the night.

Breakfast - it is patently obvious - unless visually impaired - that we were providing a buffet, as it is set out on display 4 feet to the left of where you enter The Orangery. The buffet itself is yards long ...

We are disheartened to hear that you did not feel that we extended a correct warmth of welcome of Scottish Hospitality upon your departure. Our House Standard is certainly to bid all guests a pleasant onwards journey.

We're very happy to hear that you thought that the house is beautiful and the grounds stunning, and that your meal was delicious. We also note your comment about returning, please do dm myself when and if relevant, and I will be delighted to arrange an Upgrade to one of our deluxe rooms, as a small measure of recompense for our failure to pick up the phone during the night.

Edinburgh, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 6, 2014

Spent 2 nights - in early spring - staff extremely helpful and attentive - kitchen took great pains to cater for a dairy / gluten free diet to the extent of producing a separate special menu - that there was a choice was such a great experience.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
Nicholas R, Owner at Balbirnie House, responded to this review, April 11, 2014
Hello 1953 Nicholas, from 1967 Nicholas!

Sir, thank you for your kindness, and we are delighted to hear that you enjoyed your stay. Thank you for denoting 5 Stars all round, it is lovely to hear when we have delivered upon expectation.

4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 5, 2014 via mobile

Love this hotel/house - it is a very picturesque and interior is like a proper old country house - open fire etc

Food was great down in the bistro and bar is well stocked with a range of nice whiskeys.

The rooms are nice, quality mattresses, would benefit from some modernisation in the near future.

Overall very nice indeed.

Stayed April 2014, traveled on business
Nicholas R, Owner at Balbirnie House, responded to this review, April 11, 2014
Hello David G, and many thanks for your kind comments.

Modernisation? Over the last 15 years we have re-invested £5M+ into the fabric of the assets. We've never closed for refurbishment, as we maintain a rolling program. Last year we refurb'd 40 areas, this year we've already completed 7... wear and tear is however another matter, with up to 1,500 guests partying hard over a usual weekend - maintaining as mint is always the endeavour...

Also consider these accommodations in or near Markinch
BEST WESTERN Balgeddie House Hotel
Premier Inn Glenrothes Hotel
Old Manor Hotel
Old Manor Hotel
#1 of 1 in Lundin Links

Been to Balbirnie House? Share your experiences!