“Outstanding wedding ... Poor bedroom. ”
Review of Balbirnie House

Balbirnie House
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Markinch
Reviewed March 30, 2014 via mobile

Attended a family wedding and managed to pick up a (very) last minute room.

The wedding, organisation and food were all second to none, absolutely perfect in fact!

Our room however was extremely disappointing in comparison. When I asked my husband if we had a nice view of the grounds I thought he was joking when he said the 'room' had.... NO WINDOWS!!! The only natural light was provided through two skylights. I think this should be mentioned when booking (We would have taken it anyway but with our expectations managed!) , to be honest I think this 'room' should be classed in the circumstances as a 5 star cupboard, with a room rate to reflect that. Never have I stayed in a hotel where I could not look out a window! The bathroom was also of poor standard... Functional, but in no was becoming of such a lovely hotel.

In summary fantastic wedding but would have been devastated if I had intended on spending any time in my luxury cupboard and as a result would be unlikely to stay over again.

Stayed: March 2014
Nicholas R, Owner at Balbirnie House, responded to this reviewResponded March 31, 2014

Hello SpecialKeh,
Delighted to hear that the wedding was Outstanding, that is just great to hear. This is something which we intend doing our very best to continue.

With regard to your room, (and I obviously know which room you refer to) this is usually used in conjunction with adjacent Classic double, to form a 2 bedroomed apartment. The room is the last room to go in the house, and fully acknowledged that it is set into the eaves of the original Grade A Listed 1777 building. We do sometimes use for wedding guests, on the basis that it is subject to reduced rate, and most likely to be used as a 3am- 9am Party Central sleepover. Allocated on that basis ...

Would I be happy to stay overnight in this bedroom myself on this basis. Yes indeed I would ... With a couple of fold-up beds for my children too? Yes indeed. I do however fully acknowledge that the room is removed in context, from the scale and presence of many others within the building.

For all daily updates and photographs, competitions and offers, please do head on over and join The Balbirnie House Hotel Facebook page, we have more than 5,000 individuals who now receive Balbirnie’s Daily Updates, and exciting chat! This is now an accumulating historical archive of information, a celebration of life in and around Balbirnie. Our gratitude as always.

Twitter is now also very much an integral part of what we do, albeit somewhat more briefly stated than my TripAdvisor responses! I am myself on @BalbirnieHouse, our MC’s and Duty Managers are @DM_BALBIRNIE - All talking daily about what goes into our complex operations, as well as the generalities of how wonderful it is to work within the hotel sector. Out front and also from behind the scenes…

To read a further selection of our monthly guestbook comments and reviews, from guests known to have stayed in our hotel, or who have visited as a guest, please do take just a few moments to visit our main web site. (We also list these on a monthly basis on Facebook.)

From the many lovely emails, presents, cards and letters which we receive, and in tandem with our guestbook records, every month we take a selection of those additional comments and place them on our latest news Guest Comment sections. As always, our thanks to Donna Reid from our reception team, who takes the time every month to collate all of those very lovely comments and reviews. These can of course be fully trusted, and accepted as reality.

If there is ever any element of guest dissatisfaction whatsoever, then I would always ask please that any guest with any legitimate complaint, no matter how small, contacts me personally to discuss. (If we have ever made an error, and it can sometimes happen, then we would always appreciate an opportunity to redeem your perspective. Mistakes are however quite rare, as any reader can see from the overview of our reviews!)

Best wishes from all at Balbirnie, Nicholas Russell/ General Manager/ Balbirnie House - 1992 – Present

Reviewed March 29, 2014 via mobile

My husband and I had a midweek overnight with dinner, bed and breakfast.
This was our first visit to Balbirnie but shall definitely return.
Lovely relaxing stay. Evening meal in The Orangery was fab.
Staff were really friendly.
Grounds are lovely.

Stayed: March 2014, traveled as a couple

Hello Eeliis family, and our gratitude for your kind comments and 5 Star review. As you have projected some lovely positivity out there into the great ether, I anticipate that it'll probably go full circle and come back to you in the future, in some format!

We're delighted to hear that you enjoyed your visit to Balbirnie, it is certainly a beautiful time of year here in The Mansion of Four Seasons - the daffodils this year are simply stunning, just absolutely beautiful. And on arrival at work today - I note that the first 2014 rhododendron is coming into bloom. That is a full 2 weeks earlier than last year... Our wave of wild flowers this year is aligned to corn flowers and poppies, it'll be just wonderful ...

Reviewed March 29, 2014

Booked here to celebrate our daughters 21st birthday (mentioned on booking). We chose here after much deliberation because our daughter loves mussels and that is advertised as a house speciality. We have dined in the Orangery before and thought it lovely so weren't worried about our choice.
When the waitress came to take our order the first thing she mentioned was that there were no mussels left (quite early too). So so annoyed that I didn't specify when I booked but as it was a house speciality I assumed there would be some available. The Cullen Skink was however tasty, as was the bruschetta I ordered.
Daughter eventually ordered fish and chips which she ate about half of, pretty mediocre. The rest of us had burgers which were disappointing, a bit overcooked and dry. Her dessert Brownie was large and delicious though, whew!.
The ambience in the Bistro is quite noisy and warm, much more informal than The Orangery but the food was sadly a bit underwhelming and not of the same standard.
My husband and I are booked for dinner at The Orangery with an overnight stay for a special anniversary next week. I am a little anxious about our choice now but it has been good before so fingers crossed.

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled with family
1  Thank NorthernHeatseeker

Hello NorthernHeatseeker,
I am sorry we ran out of Mussels. I mention in passing that we do maintain a constant endeavour to ensure that the only thing we run out of is space. Obviously we cannot however 100% guarantee 100% availability of all menu items. Sometimes for example, certain menu items are restrained in the market-place, due to reasons outwith our control.
And I cannot for the life of me understand why you would be underwhelmed by our wonderful handmade Aberdeen Angus Limousin burgers, (and their board presentation), or for that matter our hand-battered freshly deep-fried haddock - these menu items in The Balbirnie Bistro are consistent, and very much enjoyed by hundreds of regulars every week.

I mention on every comment thread, - 'please do contact me personally if you are ever dissatisfied', I have no record of your contact.

In any event we look forward to welcoming you back to Balbirnie once again this week, if you would care to dm me, I can at least ensure our best to see that all is as it should be for your arrival, as well as guaranteeing the availability of Mussels!!!

Reviewed March 19, 2014

We had another great night at the Balbirnie. It is brilliant for a quick get away from Edinburgh or Glasgow.

The hotel is very quiet and romantic, and you are not overwhelmed by any events that are going on - there was a wedding on when we stayed, but their celebrations were removed from us.

Thank you for upgrading us to one of your best rooms on arrival - the room was very spacious, with a great view over the gardens. I loved the enormous bed.

The food was spot on as usual, and we especially enjoyed the selection of Scottish cheeses. The service was attentive, friendly and discrete. (Thank you Evelyn!) The wine list is interesting and good value.

In summary, I know the Balbirnie is a popular place for a wedding, but it cannot be beaten for a quiet, romantic getaway.

We'll be back!

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled as a couple
Nicholas R, Owner at Balbirnie House, responded to this reviewResponded March 28, 2014

Hello JBoyLeith, and we're delighted to hear that you enjoyed your visit again to Balbirnie. Thank you for your kindness, and for denoting a 5 Star review. Please do feel free to dm me on your next visit, so that I can ensure all is as it should be. (etc!)

Really happy to hear your comments on our Scottish cheeses. Sir, please brace yourself for your next visit, as our brand new season menus (start next week) are incorporating a brand new range of hand made cheeses, from the Arran cheese company. We took the ferry over and visited the factory a few weeks ago, and my goodness these cheeses are just absolutely tremendous, what Umami! We will certainly look forward to receiving your comments on your next visit.

In passing, we also visited the Arran Aromatics factory, and the first pallet of beautiful lotions and potions is now here on the premises. We are just over the moon to be using these.

What other chat do I have today Dear Readers? Well - over the last wee while we have trialled 1,000 residents with our own in-house hand made white chocolate chip cookies, as a complimentary amenity in all bedrooms. A magnificent guest response, so the cookies are now here to stay!

Reviewed March 16, 2014 via mobile

Loved it loved it loved it.... Beautiful place great staff, not the best beer on draught and the good was average but everything else was brill, amazing showers... Really powerful and in the bar next to the fire there is a server drawer under the table full of messages from visitors

Stayed: March 2014

Hello JKNS,
Thank you - on behalf of all at Balbirnie - for your kindness and praise, we are absolutely delighted to hear such encouraging guest perspective, and the denoting of a 5 Star review.

So, you found the secret drawer!!! It never ceases to amaze me, that growing collection of secret notes, which are so very special, and so very romantic indeed. Many of these notes detail thoughts of a visit, who with and what happened. Memories I guess, Made of This.
To read these as a hotel manager, well let's just say it creates even more enduring faith and love for the job. Dear Readers, we're talking of the table in front of our Drawing Room fireplace.

Reviewed March 14, 2014

Everything was just perfect for my daughter's wedding on Sunday. Gaynor and her team couldn't do enough to ensure everything was planned to ensure a special day. Angela - our MC for the day, was just amazing, and allowed us all to remain relaxed and enjoy every moment. All our family and friends have commented how fabulous the wedding was, the meal was first class and the overnight stay/breakfast - just perfect. The Balbirnie really do make you feel special, and despite the number of weddings which take place there - they ensure your own day is everything you could hope for. Thanks again for everything xxx

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled with family

Hello FionaG,
Thank you so much for your kindness. I see that this is your first TripAdvisor review, so welcome to the party!
We are just over the moon to hear your comments about the wedding, and as I have been stating for more than 20 years at Balbirnie, especially in the context of weddings, 'Today is Not a Dress Rehearsal for Tomorrow', so it is just lovely to hear when we have delivered upon that. Gaynor and MC Angela will be overjoyed to read such glowing praise, and we are so fortunate indeed to have them both at Balbirnie. A wealth of in-house Scottish Hospitality for sure!

Reviewed March 9, 2014

We had 2 nights here with friends & really enjoyed our stay. The rooms are a fantastic size & we had a lovely view too. We ate in the Orangery & the Bistro & we enjoyed both meals very much. We will be back x

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled with friends
1  Thank Sheilabilly6066

Hello SheilaBilly6066,
Many thanks for your kind review, and the denoting of 5 Stars. We are delighted to hear that you enjoyed your visit to Balbirnie, and it always so lovely to hear from a satisfied guest. Please feel free to dm me when you next intend visiting, so that I can ensure all arrangements are in order.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Markinch
Best Western Balgeddie House Hotel
#2 of 17 in St. Andrews
Lomond Hills Hotel
Lomond Hills Hotel
#1 of 1 in Freuchie

Been to Balbirnie House? Share your experiences!