“Great night had by all”
Review of Balbirnie House

Balbirnie House
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Markinch
Reviewed December 12, 2013

We held a Long Service Awards dinner at Balbirnie House Hotel and were very well looked after from the point of booking, through various changes to our arrangements and throughout the night itself. The staff couldn't have been more helpful and understood that such a large group tend to move at their own pace! The food was lovely, the room was beautifully set and the atmosphere relaxed.
Thank you.

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled on business
Nicholas R, Owner at Balbirnie House, responded to this reviewResponded December 16, 2013

Hello VJS7, and many thanks for your 5 Star review. Absolutely delighted to hear that the Long Service dinner went so well. The formats we are working with for private room dining are working extremely well this year, and I anticipate more of the same for 2014. It was very kind of you to post such a kind review.

For all daily updates and photographs, competitions and offers, please do head on over and join The Balbirnie House Hotel Facebook page, we have almost 5,000 individuals who now receive Balbirnie’s Daily Updates, and exciting chat! This is now an accumulating historical archive of information, a celebration of life in and around Balbirnie. Our gratitude as always.

Twitter is now also very much an integral part of what we do, albeit somewhat more briefly stated than my TripAdvisor responses! I am myself on @BalbirnieHouse, our MC’s and Duty Managers are @DM_BALBIRNIE, and our Special Events and wedding planning dept. are @WeddingsBH – All talking daily about what goes into our complex operations, as well as the generalities of how wonderful it is to work within the hotel sector. Out front and also from behind the scenes…

To read a further selection of our monthly guestbook comments and reviews, from guests known to have stayed in our hotel, or who have visited as a guest, please do take just a few moments to visit our main web site. (We also list these on a monthly basis on Facebook.)

From the many lovely emails, presents, cards and letters which we receive, and in tandem with our guestbook records, every month we take a selection of those additional comments and place them on our latest news Guest Comment sections. As always, our thanks to Donna Reid from our reception team, who takes the time every month to collate all of those very lovely comments and reviews. These can of course be fully trusted, and accepted as reality.

If there is ever any element of guest dissatisfaction whatsoever, then I would always ask please that any guest with any legitimate complaint, no matter how small, contacts me personally to discuss. (If we have ever made an error, and it can sometimes happen, then we would always appreciate an opportunity to redeem your perspective. Mistakes are however quite rare, as any reader can see from the overview of our reviews!)

Best wishes from all at Balbirnie, Nicholas Russell/ General Manager/ Balbirnie House - 1992 – Present

Reviewed December 11, 2013

Balbirnie is a beautiful Georgian building with public rooms which have been tastefully decorated to match the period. I thought my room was spacious, comfortable and decorated to a high standard. I thought the absence of a gym was disappointing in a hotel of this size, but the grounds are huge and offer options to walk or run. Staff were very friendly and helpful throughout our stay. Dinner did not have the wow factor I was expecting. The menu choice was good and the food was reasonable, but i would return for the hotel and staff rather than the dining experience. Breakfast was excellent.

Stayed: December 2013, traveled with friends

Hello Boondoggler, and many thanks for your kind comments, very much appreciated by all at Balbirnie House, and we shall look forward to welcoming you back in the future. Please do let me know when you intend to return. All best wishes.

Reviewed December 10, 2013

Part of a works Xmas party on 7th December at Balbirnie and it exceeded all our expectations.
Reception was excellent as was the meal, service, the Dj providing the entertainment also kept the night lively. 9 out of 10, dropped a point as my wife marked her shoes on the gravel entrance leading up to the hotel. It was explained to me as it is a listed building they cannot upgrade it to a hard standing entrance. Apart from that, first class venue.

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled with friends
Nicholas R, Owner at Balbirnie House, responded to this reviewResponded December 12, 2013

Hello David, many thanks for your kind comments, and we are delighted to hear that you enjoyed the Party. The Party nights this year were fully booked by July, so book early to avoid disappointment... Wonderful celebrations.

Writing as at 12 December the festive season is well underway. The house is looking at it's best in history and we've had many lovely comments about this year's festive decorations, lots of small touches here and there. It is certainly beginning to feel a lot like Christmas .... :-)

Reviewed December 4, 2013

After an 8 hour drive the hotel had lost the information that my wife was disabled and so we had to accept room 301 which was virtually in the attic. There were 17 points wrong with the room which were all covered in our next hotel. But most importantly there were no fire escape instructions in the room. I found that the main fire exit was down the corridor and was the main staircase up onto the floor. It looked as though it was made of wood. So back to the room the windows were high and too small to escape through or for any rescue services to help us out. When we left I spoke to the duty manager who gave me a copy of the fire certificate saying how good they were - signed by the hotel Managing Director. I wrote to the hotel outlining my concerns and had a standard whitewash reply quoting how good they were in the brochure. At which I wrote to the Managing Director to which I had an aggressive reply ending up with the words I quote 'cease...pointless tirade'. I have spoken to the fire services in Fife and Bedford and they all say this situation is unacceptable and yet the Balbirnie say they have passed all their checks. Maybe, but I shall not be risking my life and that of my wife in what I consider an unsafe environment. To all hoteliers, having stayed in over 140 different countries in my life, on arrival at a new hotel check your fire exits and use them if possible because if there is a fire there will be smoke and seeing fire exits signs will be difficult.

Room Tip: Rooms at the top of the hotel are very poor value
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled with family
6  Thank BillJago073
Nicholas R, Owner at Balbirnie House, responded to this reviewResponded December 8, 2013

Well, as can be seen, TripAdvisor can certainly sometimes provide a polar opposite. In this case, a sad set of totally unfair, unhinged and misleading comments which rather unfortunately depart from reality.

Fortunately, albeit beset by vagaries, TripAdvisor does provide the opportunity for us to at least factually correct matters.

In response firstly to yourself Mr Jago, resident 18 – 20 October 2010. Your reservation was part of a Group Booking, collectively made by one individual point of contact. Having reviewed correspondence, we have no record whatsoever of any request for disabled facility having been made by our reservation contact. For the avoidance of any doubt, had we been in receipt of that request, we would have sought to have provided a specially adapted bedroom on the ground floor.

Furthermore, your comment regarding being in receipt of a Fire Certificate is incorrect. Our Duty Manager – having listened to your comments, thought it would be most helpful to provide you with a copy of most recent internal correspondence portraying the overview of our most recent annual inspections, and how wonderfully up-to-date such matters are in an across the board spectrum, across the entire Grade A Listed premises. We had hoped this would logically have helped you feel entirely at ease.

You say your room was almost in the attic? This house does not have an attic. We do however have an entire floor of bedrooms on the 3rd floor.

For the benefit of readers I highlight that this ‘review’ in itself hits the nail on the head. To repeat what the writer has himself stated - I also confirm that each and every part of the operational layout of the entire premises is indeed fully compliant with the requirements of Fife Fire and Rescue. There are different fire escape routes from all floors, fully compliant.

That is why, after numerous members of our management team were harangued by this individual in an accumulating, ongoing and rather concerning way, in turn I really was left with no alternative other than to simply request that the individual concerned cease from a pointless tirade.

In summary - The layout of the premises is fully compliant, so there is no underpinning cause for debate in that regard.

Sometimes the customer is not always right. This is one of those cases.

In these contexts I therefore have nothing further to add.

Nicholas Russell / MD Balbirnie

Reviewed November 8, 2013

This was my second time staying here and I can't say enough great things. Old castle that has been renovated but has kept its character while bringing in luxury comfort. Maybe the most comfortable bed I have ever slept in, great linens and great pillows. The breakfast in the morning is excellent (Tea, Black Pudding, and Fried Eggs) and a perfectly drawn Guinness in the evening makes for a great day. Highly recommend the Steamed Mussels at the Bistro. Don't miss a great place to stay.

Stayed: November 2013, traveled on business
Nicholas R, Owner at Balbirnie House, responded to this reviewResponded November 11, 2013

Hello Bill, on behalf of all at Balbirnie, our sincere gratitude for your very kind comments and 5 Star review, noted from a Senior Reviewer from Arizona.

Just one detail to highlight, Balbirnie is not a castle!!! The house is a Georgian mansion, circa 1777, Grade A Listed as national and international importance.

Great to hear that you enjoyed your Mussels and Guinness, and that your stay was comfortable. Just lovely.

Reviewed November 4, 2013

Massive, sprawling, interesting country house/ hotel in darkest Fife.
We took clients there for a dinner and I stayed over with the missus.
Everything was really good - lots of attentive staff, excellent food, the chef is doing a great job.
The hotel itself is a very interesting place, massive rooms, nice bars, loads of comfy chairs and open fires. Very, very relaxing.
Couldn't fault it and we also were lucky and were put up in an excellent suite.
Well done the hotel and particularly the staff.

Room Tip: The Balfour suite is worth requesting!
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank killieman47
Nicholas R, Owner at Balbirnie House, responded to this reviewResponded November 8, 2013

Hello Kilieman, delighted to hear that you had such an enjoyable stay, praise indeed from such a prolific TripAdvisor reviewer. I note that you have especially recommended The Balfour Suite. Well Sir, it is pleasing to note that you have denoted such praise for a suite which is furthermore today - a few days after your departure - completely stripped to bare walls for a top down refurbishment!!!!!!!! I must say, I am excited to see the end results with this one, as we have aligned to classic contemporary, in a style befitting such an area.

Reviewed November 2, 2013

My wife and I travel widely and after much deliberation chose to make a first visit to the Balbirnie House Hotel to celebrate our 25th wedding anniversary and stayed for three nights, eating each evening in the Orangerie restaurant.

We have to say that we are so pleased that we chose the Balbirnie to mark our special occasion. Our late booking was handled very efficiently and we received a warm welcome on our arrival. The congratulations card from the staff was a lovely touch.

Every single member of staff we encountered, from Reception, to the young man at the bar for a pre-dinner drink, to the waiters and waitresses in the restaurant, to the room cleaning staff always had a smile on their faces and provided a warm, friendly yet very professional service.

When staying in a hotel there is usually something that you find not quite right and which could be improved a little, but this really did not apply to the Balbirnie in any way. It is that good.

Thankyou to the owner and every single member of staff for helping to make our special few days so memorable.

We hope to return at some stage and also hope that this honest and objective review helps other potential guests in the future.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple

Hello Graham and Sue, congratulations once again on your 25th wedding anniversary, and on behalf of all at Balbirnie, many thanks for denoting a 5 Star review. We are just delighted to read your comments, thank you so much.

Please do let me know when you next intend to visit, so that we can ensure all arrangements are in order. As a small gesture of our best wishes, I will of course additionally be delighted to arrange a bottle of House Champagne for your return.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Markinch
Best Western Balgeddie House Hotel
#4 of 12 in Dunfermline
Craigsanquhar House Hotel
Craigsanquhar House Hotel
#1 of 1 in Craigsanquhar

Been to Balbirnie House? Share your experiences!