“Nice place to chill and relax.....”
Review of Balbirnie House

Balbirnie House
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Markinch
Reviewed September 21, 2013

We arrived early on a Friday afternoon when it was apparent Wedding preparations were in full swing and staff were very busy. Despite this we were promptly attended to at Reception and were delighted that our room was ready ahead of the normal check in.

Room

Lovely big double deluxe room which oozed character and had views of the garden. Tea/coffee facilities but no mini-bar which was a surprise but not a problem. Nice big bathroom with a deep bath but no shower which was unusual but again not a problem. Shampoo/shower gel supplied was of a good quality. The TV offers movies/music etc at an additional price (unlimited music/movies) of £11 for unlimited use which was excellent value if like us you just wished to relax in the room.

Dinner

We opted to eat in the basement Bistro which had a nice atmosphere about it. It was very busy and again the service was excellent. The menu was extensive and the food was delicious so we would definitely recommend.

Breakfast

Served between 7-10.....in the Orangery Dining Room. Service was good again and quality of food was good. My wife follows a wheat/gluten free and as such suitable toast was provided when we asked. My only point would be.....more variety/choice of fresh fruit/individual yogurt pots.

In summary - lovely location, elegant Country Hotel, good service, stately rooms and good food. Would we return.....absolutely!

Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
Nicholas R, Owner at Balbirnie House, responded to this reviewResponded October 7, 2013

Hello OneManJazzBand,
Many thanks for your kind comments, delighted to see that you consider the premises as 'elegant' - that is always lovely to hear.

We are absolutely delighted to hear that you enjoyed your visit to Balbirnie House so much. It was very kind of you to take the time to write, much appreciated.
For all daily updates and photographs, please do head on over and join our Facebook page. (Also now on Twitter personally, talking daily about what goes into our operations, just click Follow.)

To read a further selection of our monthly guestbook comments and reviews, from guests known to have stayed in our hotel, or who have visited as a guest, please do take just a few moments to visit our main web site.

From the many lovely emails, cards and letters which we receive, and in tandem with our guestbook records, every month we take a selection of those additional comments and place them on our latest news Guest Comment sections. As always, our thanks to Donna Reid from our reception team, who takes the time every month to collate all of those very lovely comments and reviews. These can of course be fully trusted, and accepted as reality.

If there is ever any element of guest dissatisfaction whatsoever, then I would always ask please that any guest with any complaint, no matter how small, contacts me personally to discuss.

Best wishes, Nicholas Russell/ General Manager/ Balbirnie House - 1992 – Present

There are newer reviews for Balbirnie House

Reviewed September 13, 2013

On previous occasions I have posted on Trip Advisor with entirely positive compliments after very enjoyable stays.
Although this is a beautiful hotel with lovely rooms we had an unpleasant experience on the last morning which was made worse by the unsympathetic response of a staff member. In fact picking up on earlier complaint, some of the staff don’t seem to care about the welfare of their hotel guests. Although the staff member had tried unsuccessfully to push down the mechanism on the cafetiere she still gave it to us at breakfast. Unfortunately my husband was showered in hot coffee and grains. There was no apology, just an order that my husband return to the room so that the shirt could be washed. Our breakfast experience was spoiled. Of course we were pleased that the stains were removed on his shirt and my cardigan. We accept that accidents do happen. It was the callous way we were treated that was so upsetting. What made this even more galling was that the owner accused my husband of misrepresenting the truth.
We made no complaints about the disturbances on the first night as a noisy wedding party returned to their rooms. Clearly this is a hotel which focuses on its weddings for revenue. Other guests are an inconvenience or perhaps one member of staff has no more energy left for them!

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank 481Garbutt
Nicholas R, Owner at Balbirnie House, responded to this reviewResponded September 14, 2013

Oh Dear, very sorry to hear your further comments. As you and I are however both aware, your husband's endeavour was to seek a retrospective refund following the event, based upon what categorically appears to be a strange circumstance.

If we ever get it wrong at Balbirnie, - and sometimes we can see a human error in the context of simply being as busy as we are, then hands up and we will automatically either refund or repeat, from experience I can usually count that on an annual basis on the fingers of one hand. What we won't do however, is refund or repeat if we have done nothing wrong. My written response below:

Hello Stephen,
Many thanks for taking the time to write, and very sorry indeed to hear the overview of your comments.

Angela Ferguson - Balbirnie's Manager in charge of Guest Services, has a differing perspective on a few points, especially in detailing that an apology was categorically (and repeatedly) made, and as a gesture of goodwill we offered to fully discount breakfast from your bill - which you refused.
Additionally, there is no recollection whatsoever with regard to what you have said that Angela said re 'coffee in eye'.

We also noted that you refused to discuss further with Angela on the day.

We retain accident records, which show that your wife informed that you pushed the coffee plunger 'with brute force', you were asked to keep hand under cold running water for 10 mins but only did so for 5, and subsequently however we have photographic records which show no physical harm whatsoever.

I thank you for bringing the matter to my attention, but I am fully satisfied that in context and proportion we have done everything relevant and appropriate and fully befitting the nature of what happened.

More bluntly put, I honestly feel that you are using a minor incident which was of your own causing, to seek a refund - frankly that is simply not fair.

As a final point I mention - We have been using cafetieres at Balbirnie for more than 2 decades, without incident.

Should you have the opportunity to re-visit Balbirnie House, then please do not hesitate to contact me personally. We would be delighted to arrange room upgrade and a bottle of champagne as a further measure of goodwill.

Kind regards,

Nicholas

MD / Balbirnie House

Reviewed September 11, 2013

Stayed at the Balbirnie in September for 1 night and my 3rd stay here. As usual a good stay for a good price and great evening meal and breakfast. Check in was quick and tHe same when checking out. Looking forward to my next stay!

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled on business

Hello Paul,

Reviewed September 11, 2013 via mobile

My husband and myself attended my cousins wedding on 6th September 13' and we thoroughly enjoyed our stay! The rooms were clean and very comfortable with that cosy, homely feeling! The staff were very helpful and polite! We ate out of the bistro and the food was fabulous! Breakfast was always freshly prepared and all you can eat! There was choices of cereals and fruits along with items for a fry! If you are looking to book a wedding here all u can say was you won't be let down! It's perfect for that fairy tale wedding and the selection of meals were fantastic! We had potatoe and leek soup followed by supreme of chicken which was cooked to perfection! Followed by a delightful dessert! The only bit of advice I would give would be to hire a car so you can get out and about to see what beautifull sights Edinburgh and fife have to offer! We will definitely be back!

• Stayed: September 2013

Hello Claire,

It has certainly been a wonderful summer wedding season, and our busiest on record. And writing this morning, having taken 10 wedding bookings in the last 11 days, it would seem that we shall be continuing along this theme. Value for money always paramount, the recession may be over, but we will certainly be continuing to offer the phenomenal value packages which we have specialised with over the last couple of years especially, all info is over on our main web site.

Reviewed September 4, 2013

We attended my daughters wedding (Osullivan/Hamill fri 30th Aug) and stayed for 2 nights. The bedrooms are spacious and have a homely feeling. The hotel is quirky with little rooms to sit and chill in peace and quiet. The downstairs function room was brilliant. Breakfast great. I have to make a special mention to the staff who were so polite and helpful especially on the morning of my daughters wedding when myself and the bride and her bridesmaids were all getting ready and kept ringing reception for different requests and they never failed to deliver. The wedding party of 125 people all had a fantastic time. I would like to give a special mention to Lorna who is available for facials and massages at a small cost. Lorna comes to your room which I found very relaxing. I have a problem with my shoulder and lorna gave me a deep tissue massage and I have to say I am still pain free five days later. I would recommend Balbirnie highly for a wedding .

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
Nicholas R, Owner at Balbirnie House, responded to this reviewResponded September 11, 2013

Hello Janet, many thanks for taking the time to post your very kind 5 Star review, and all best wishes to all who attended the special occasion at Balbirnie. It has been a wonderful summer, our busiest on record, and August has been our busiest month in history - and that is saying something!

We simply Love weddings at Balbirnie, certainly a very significant part of what we do, and it is just great to hear perspective when we have delivered at or above expectation. As Balbirnie has been the recipient of Scotland's top wedding award at the annual hotel Oscars, on 7 occasions out of the last 8 years, we certainly consider that Today is not a Dress Rehearsal for Tomorrow.

Reviewed August 19, 2013

We had dinner in the Orangery.Whilst the service was good, not much of an atmosphere.Staff very attentive until you return to the guests bar for tea and coffee, then I had to actively pursue the bar staff to try to secure another drink. I would certainly say it is nice for one off special occasions but would not go for regular meal out.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank derek190563
Nicholas R, Owner at Balbirnie House, responded to this reviewResponded August 22, 2013

Hello Derek, and many thanks for your 4 Star review. Delighted to read that you consider The Orangery to be nice for one-off special occasions, as it is certainly the case that we are accustomed to seeing that as a matter of great regularity.

In fact, we are seeing more and more commemorative and celebratory dinners also taking place these days in our Chef's Table, Garden Room and West Room, as we can offer the same format as we provide in The Orangery, at the same price as well. This works so well for Birthdays, Anniversaries, whatever the occasion.

Dinner is an inclusive price of £36.50 for canapes, bread and butter, starter, intermediate, main course, dessert, coffee and tablet. Designed as a complete evening at Balbirnie, with arrival drinks and post dinner coffee usually served relaxing in one of our many stunning public areas.
We seem to certainly have consensus on guest questionnaires etc etc, that is wonderful value, especially when compared to pricing in establishments elsewhere.

I am delighted to convey the news, that in the brand new edition of The 2013 Scottish Hotel Awards Gold Guide, that The Orangery is denoted as being the regional winner for central Scotland and Fife, in the category of 'Restaurant of the Year'. I guess in that context that we must be doing something right!

If you are looking for more of a 'regular meal out', then perhaps also give The Balbirnie Bistro a visit, a great selection of individually priced dishes, great value.

In passing, as we are certainly accustomed to serving the tastiest steaks in Fife, we are now adding beautiful Tramontina steak knives, we're looking forward to hearing what our guests think of these.

Reviewed July 26, 2013

Six of us girls visited here last night for a birthday celebration dinner which was excellent. Waiting staff and bar staff were really cheerful and friendly. They do add that special treat for a special occasion. Pity I can't say the same for the receptionist when paying the bill. Fair enough, we were doing a lot of working out for each individual who had a few glasses of wine etc and it was 10.30pm but she didn't even raise a smile or spoke more than a few words. If she doesn't like dealing with the public she shouldn't be there. It wont stop me from returning though as all other staff were great.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank sweetFife

Hello Sweet Fife, and many thanks for taking the time to write and denote a 5 Star review, that is so very kind.

Next time the 6 girls are re-convening at Party Central - please pop me an email so I can personally ensure everything is as it should be. Additionally, I will organise a round of classic cocktails with my compliments. (In passing, *Breaking News* - I have just invented a brand new Martini cocktail - christened 'Party Central Martini' - and using The Botanist Gin, from The Bruichladdich Distillery on the Isle of Islay.)

Sorry to hear that the demeanour, charm, poise and personality of our Duty receptionist did not meet expectation, please do rest assured that having a heart and mind set on exceeding guest expectation is something which we set out to achieve collectively every single day.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Markinch
Best Western Balgeddie House Hotel
#2 of 9 in Glenrothes
The Gilvenbank Hotel
The Gilvenbank Hotel
#8 of 9 in Glenrothes

Been to Balbirnie House? Share your experiences!