My partner and I stayed at the Balbirnie House Hotel for two nights in early June and we also hosted a family dinner for 20 in the hotel’s private dining room.
Our deluxe Room (No. 307) was large and on the top (3rd) floor; no lift available so the porter was obliged to carry our luggage all the way!
The room was large and clean and had everything required of a decent 4 star hotel; no minibar but 24 hour room service and complimentary bottles of water. Large thick lined drapes kept the early morning light out!
No marble wall paneling in the bathroom, but the towels were large and well warmed on a heated towel rail. And the sink had mixer taps – sometimes a novelty in Scotland!!
Huge bed, but would prefer modern duvets to the sheets and blanket routine!
The staff were very good, especially the front office and restaurant staff, who did everything possible to ensure that our dinner for 20 went off with out a hitch, as it did! The food, previously chosen from a selection of menus, was well presented, contained fresh vegetables (not boiled to death!) and every course was delicious. Service was impressive and not intrusive; wine glasses were refilled without asking.
Breakfast was great for those (like me!) who appreciate a hearty Scottish breakfast; it included lorne sausage, though it was a bit dry and tough at times! For those who wanted a lighter breakfast (like my partner) choice was limited but still adequate. Breakfast was included in the room rate.
The only disadvantage about breakfast is that the hotel attracts large parties for weddings and other events, and the noise of a table of 10 or 12 guests reliving the previous night can be very wearing; why not set aside a separate room for such guests so that those of us who want breakfast in a quiet atmosphere can nurse our hangovers in peace, and not have to listen to loud conversations amidst hoots of laughter.
The bar had a very good selection of malt whiskies, as one would expect (this is not dry martini land!) and the bar staff were both accomplished and pleasant.
We will definitely stay at the Balbirnie House Hotel again; it is by far the best hotel in the area that we have stayed in!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Balbirnie House is a quite unique multi-award winning country house hotel which combines understated luxury with superb service and outstanding value. Widely acknowledged as one of the finest of the privately owned small luxury hotels in Scotland, Balbirnie offers a wonderful experience, whatever the occasion of your visit. Fine food, lovely surroundings and above all a real sense of friendly Scottish hospitality combine to create quite a unique setting for today’s house guests to enjoy. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Booking.com, Hotwire, Orbitz, Hotels.com, Cancelon, Priceline, Evoline ltd, TripOnline SA, HotelQuickly and Hotel.de so you can book your Balbirnie House reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Balbirnie House Hotel Markinch
- Balbirnie House Markinch, Scotland