“lovely break”
Review of Balbirnie House

Balbirnie House
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Markinch
Reviewed April 2, 2013

My husband and I stayed in room 208 (a deluxe) at the end of March. The hotel oozes Old World Charm and the parkland were we walked off our breakfast is wonderful. However, there are a few cosmetic issues that need to be addressed in the room to make it fabulous. In the bathroom some patches of black mould seen on the tiles, two areas were wallpaper was starting to peel, sash rope on one of the windows broken preventing it being opened and some obvious marks on couches and chair. On a positive note, staff very friendly and helpful, food in the Orangery delicious and cocktails excellent.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
Nicholas R, Owner at Balbirnie House, responded to this reviewResponded April 4, 2013

Hello PlumPudding,
We are absolutely delighted to hear that you enjoyed your visit to Balbirnie House so much, and that you had a lovely break. It was very kind of you to take the time to write, much appreciated.

With regard to the decor issues which you have so very kindly highlighted, room 208's bathroom wallpaper is actually as it happens next on our list of rolling refurbishments, a constant program of upgrades and investments into the very fabric of Balbirnie.

To read a further selection of our monthly guestbook comments and reviews, from guests known to have stayed in our hotel, or who have visited as a guest, please do take just a few moments to visit our web site.

From the many lovely emails, cards and letters which we receive, and in tandem with our guestbook records, every month we take a selection of those additional comments and place them on our latest news Guest Comment sections. As always, our thanks to Donna Reid from our reception team, who takes the time every month to collate all of those very lovely comments and reviews. These can of course be fully trusted, and accepted as reality.

If there is ever any element of guest dissatisfaction whatsoever, then I would always ask please that any guest with any complaint, no matter how small, contacts me personally to discuss.

Best wishes, Nicholas Russell/ General Manager/ Balbirnie House - 1992 – Present

Reviewed April 1, 2013

My fiance and I stayed for 2 nights last week through a special offer listed on Itison. When hotels look wonderful on their website sometimes it can be disappointing to arrive and discover things aren't quite what they may have seemed. Not here though - driving up to the hotel we were surrounded by parkland and on arriving at the building itself we were very impressed. Walking into reception we were met by very friendly reception staff and were quickly checked in and shown to our room. A beautiful double room with a very spacious bathroom. The bed was HUGE and extremely comfortable and we had all the comforts you could ask for.
After settling in we headed down to the Library bar and were looked after by James our bartender for the evening. What can I say about James? What a lovely, friendly guy he was and brilliant at his job. Hold on to him Balbirnie House :-)
We then had a lovely meal in the Bistro where the food was delicious.
Breakfast? Oh my, we were stuffed after that! There were cereals, fruit, yoghurt, croissants, fruit juices and a hot buffet breakfast - the hot breakfast was plentiful, non greasy and delicious. I honestly was not hungry again until about 7pm.
As part of our deal we had a 4 course meal in the Orangery on our 2nd night. This started off in the Library bar where, after placing a drink order, the charming Manager took our food order after which we were served with canapes in the bar. Then we were escorted through to the Orangery and were treated like Royalty all the way through our meal. The meal was first class it really was.
Sadly, we had to leave the next morning (after another hearty breakfast.
This is a beautiful hotel where guests are made to feel comfortable and special - I would not hesitate in recommending to friends and family and I really do hope to return at some point in the future.
Thank you for a lovely experience.

Room Tip: As my room was perfect for us I can't really comment.

Hello Rachel,
We are absolutely delighted to hear that you enjoyed your visit to Balbirnie House so much. It was very kind of you to take the time to write, much appreciated. We are particularly overjoyed to hear that you considered you were treated like Royalty!

Thank you so much for your 5 star review.

Reviewed March 29, 2013

Thats the Hotels wording in there brochure and We can confirm that it is a wonderfull world when your sat looking out onto the stunning landscape and grounds in a wonderfull room. We have just had the honour of staying at the Balbernie House for two nights too celibrate our weddiing anniversary, I sent the Hotel an email asking if was possible too have Flowers and chocalates sent too our room whislt we where at breakfast as a gift for my Wife, not only did they arrange that there was a personal card from the Balbirnie its self. We ate in the Bistro the first night then the Orangery the second night the food and service was excellent. Nothing was too much trouble for staff and as we where leaving we had the pleasure of meeting Mr Russell who came up to us and intoduced himself too us. A very relaxing few days thankyou Mr Russell and all the Staff at the Balbernie we will return one day.

Room Tip: What we read in the Guest book there are all nice rooms
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
Nicholas R, Owner at Balbirnie House, responded to this reviewResponded April 1, 2013

Hello Tom, many thanks for your kind comments and 5 star review, so very much appreciated by all of us at Balbirnie, we are delighted to hear that you and your wife enjoyed your stay so much, and it was a pleasure to meet you.
Please do let me know when you intend re-visiting, all the best.

Reviewed March 26, 2013

had a nice short break at Balbirnie House Hotel. The grounds are lovely for walks-shame we had snow! The food was very good both in the Orangery restaurant and in the Bistro. Room was massive with seating for 6 although we were only 2.

1  Thank ScotlandJeannie
Nicholas R, Owner at Balbirnie House, responded to this reviewResponded March 27, 2013

Hello Scotland Jeannie, and many thanks for your kind comments.

I certainly have to agree with you about the woodland walks, throughout the park itself, much of which was set out originally in the style of Capability Brown. Many of the woodland walks are just fabulous, and ever-changing throughout the year.

I am accustomed to having a daily walk in the park. What a lucky hotel manager I am, on each walk I always remind myself of years spent in my early career compressed with others on London Tube trains. What a world removed from Balbirnie.

Snowdrops lead to daffodils, and onwards to bluebells. The rhododendron collection to the east of our front door extends for half a mile over the hill, and throughout April and May - mere words perhaps fail to convey just how beautiful it is.

Through the summer months - magical. And this year, against a backdrop where our town of Glenrothes most deservedly (and hats off to all involved) received the award last year for Scotland's most beautiful town, well what are we doing to do our bit this year? The banking between Balbirnie and the rhododenrdons is being seeded with wild flowers, we are so very much looking forward to seeing those results.

Whilst writing, I also convey that Fife Council restored and improved all walkways within Balbirnie Park last year, and on behalf of all those who enjoy the park so much, I convey our gratitude.

Reviewed March 26, 2013

We stayed at Balbirnnie on Thursday and Friday 14th and 15th of March for our son`s wedding and We cannot praise the accommodation and your wonderful staff enough. Nothing was too much trouble and they went above and beyond to make a bunch of very loud and excited Geordies happy and well fed. The food at the reception was superb and served with military precision (we all want the recipe for the pea,pear and mint soup) The whole occasion was magical thanks to every attention to the smallest detail,the daytime flowed into the night-time and was enjoyed by everyone.The rooms are spacious and tastefully furnished in fact we could have just stayed in ours forever. A final Big Thank you to all who worked the night bar God you had your work cut out but you did it!! Would we come back? Oh yes but just the two of us plus my husband's golf clubs!

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled with family

Hello Carol Ann, and I write to you in Washington from what is still a very snowy Scotland.
Thank you so much for your so very kind comments, we really are overjoyed to hear that you considered we have managed to achieve our constant objective, of conveying a true warmth of welcome of Scottish hospitality.

Many thanks for denoting a 5 Star review.

In particular, we very much appreciate your comment about 'military precision' for the service of the wedding meal, which is so very gratefully received by all of us at Balbirnie, most especially Executive Chef Mark Lindsey, Banquet Chef Dougie Docherty, MC Erdal Ozer, and Assistant Manager Rachel Fraser, who together with our fabulous young banquet brigade, oversaw the big day. It would seem to be the case that Memories were made of this.

Having been the very humble recipient of the award for Scotland's top wedding hotel venue in 6 out of the last 8 years, we are certainly well accustomed to always seeking to improve upon what we do. Indeed, in the last 12 months we have very significantly added to this scope, more so than ever. Our wedding literature, downloadable from our web site, in base form is now 64 pages long! (I am also accustomed now to re-tweeting many wedding albums, and so on, anyone wishing to see this progressive dialogue please do click Follow!)

Over recent months we have significantly increased Balbirnie's collection of antiques, fine art and restored furniture. Old meets new however, with our wonderful new aluminium can LED Ballroom uplighters, one further reason why so many evening photographs are simply stunning.

Reviewed March 25, 2013

My wife and I spent the weekend in the hotel .We were there for my cousins wedding. From arriving on Friday evening the welcome from reception was excellent . The room we had was very spacious and clean throughout. For our evening meal we ate in the orangey , we were shown to a reception room and given canopies then when we were ready we were taken to the dinning room. Our food was first class.
I would recommend this hotel highly we will definitely return.
A big thank you to all the staff for making my cousins big day very special .

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled with family

Hello Jack,
Many thanks for your review, and we're delighted to hear that you considered the premises worthy of being denoted as First Class. Will look forward to welcoming you back on another occasion, all the best.

Reviewed March 23, 2013 via mobile

I booked 2 nights at the hotel for my voyfriend's birthday through an online voucher and was very pleasantly surprised by the value for money. Upon arrival we were allocated room 204 which is roughly the size of a suite with a wonderful four poster bed and excellent views. On closer inspection there are perhaps a couple of things in the room that could do with replacing. The furniture is very old (but perhaps that's the point!) I tried to open one of the drawers on the ancient, marked dressing table and the handle came away in my hand. The main dining table glass was heavily marked as was the glass above the fireplace and there were serious stains on the carpet where the palm plant is. Again, perhaps the furniture are genuine antiques but I just felt that they needed some attention.

The bathroom could also do with a little upgrading. The jacuzzi bath was lovely but the shower was hand hold only which was a little disappointing as being a lady with long hair, I find it really difficult to wash my hair that way.

Service throughout was great. We ordered breakfast in the room on our first morning and it arrived promptly. Anything we asked reception for was dealt with efficiently and every one of the staff we dealt with we're polite and courteous. The cream tea on arrival was a highlight!

Dinner in the orangery was an experience. Relaxed, with no sense of being hurried, we were shown into the lounge for drinks and nibbles before placing our orders. I had mussels, sorbet, chicken and more sorbet. My boyfriend had salad, sorbet, steak and more sorbet. It was all delicious. We were impressed with the silver service training the staff clearly had undergone. Then it was back to the lounge for coffee. Two hours in total and well spent.

Breakfast was again a relaxed affair with plenty on offer. Perhaps the only thing I would say is that in a 4 star hotel you might expect breakfast cooked to order rather than buffet style but this didn't take away from our enjoyment.

A lovely touch was the birthday card in our room for my boyfriend which was very nice to receive on arrival.

All in all, excellent value for what I paid for it.

• Stayed: March 2013
Nicholas R, Owner at Balbirnie House, responded to this reviewResponded March 25, 2013

Hello Gingerbelle,

Many thanks for your 5 Star review, and we are so happy to hear that you considered your visit to be reflective of such excellent value.

You are certainly correct in saying that we have a blend which incorporates many antiques, and over the last few months we have actually added significantly to the house collection.

Some other hotels which house antiques, are very precious and protective about such matters, At Balbirnie we're so much more relaxed, 'lived-in' is the phrase, however there's a distinct difference between what can be termed 'shabby chic', and 'country vintage'.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Markinch
Best Western Balgeddie House Hotel
#4 of 17 in St. Andrews
Old Manor Hotel
Old Manor Hotel
#1 of 1 in Lundin Links

Been to Balbirnie House? Share your experiences!