If you like an elegant venue and a New Year Ball with great food and a good band then Balbirnie is for you.
However, if like us you believe £110 per person entitles you to make both positive and critical comment where due and do not want to be spied upon (sorry, observed) then avoid at all costs.
The New Year count down to midnight is the main feature at parties and events the world over but was missed by close to two minutes at this event. Some time later I commented on our disappointment to the Master of Ceremonies and advised I would e-mail accordingly but when I did I was astounded at the reply in which I was advised that our party had been 'observed' for the rest of our time there.
Our party was 'observed' to:
use mobile devices at the table between 12.15 and 1.15 - we sent text New Year greetings to friends and family as did many others, network congestion meant several re-sends.
did not partake of the dancing - dancing was indeed limited, one of our party had had open heart surgery, one a recent hip replacement and one a foot injury
depart well before the evening concluded - we had to be elsewhere
The champagne and canapes reception was poor as mentioned in another review, champagne service stopped because 'some' guests put hands over glasses and the canapes ran out.
I remain stunned by the response to the e-mail comments on our experience and believe the co-owners who involved themselves in an e-mail exchange on my them should learn to accept the critical with the positive comments and not use terms such as "an individual brimming with seasonal ill will" to a guest whose experience was lacking.
We will not be paying guests at the Balbirnie House Hotel in the future.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Balbirnie House is a quite unique multi-award winning country house hotel which combines understated luxury with superb service and outstanding value. Widely acknowledged as one of the finest of the privately owned small luxury hotels in Scotland, Balbirnie offers a wonderful experience, whatever the occasion of your visit. Fine food, lovely surroundings and above all a real sense of friendly Scottish hospitality combine to create quite a unique setting for today’s house guests to enjoy. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Hotels.com, Booking.com, Expedia, Travelocity, Hotwire, Priceline, TripOnline SA, Cheap Tickets, Evoline ltd and HotelQuickly so you can book your Balbirnie House reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Balbirnie House Hotel Markinch
- Balbirnie House Markinch, Scotland