“perfect place to relax”
Review of Balbirnie House

Balbirnie House
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Markinch
Reviewed November 7, 2012

booked an overnight stay including dinner, very pleasant staff at reception, well organised and friendly, room was just right, comfortable and clean and pleasantly large, arrived early afternoon ordered sandwiches and wine, very good, evening was excellent with an extesive menu and good variety of choices, wine was excellent and not expensive,,all in all very good food and accommodation and well worth the visit, would certainly return.
I have noticed more and more, that staff are very well trained, friendly and can make up for any minor dissappointments you may encounter

Room Tip: higher floors can be difficult if you are elderly so always good to equire about room suitability wh...
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple
Nicholas R, Owner at Balbirnie House, responded to this reviewResponded March 13, 2013

Hello Chryston, how lovely to have such comments from a Senior Reviewer.
We are absolutely delighted to hear that you enjoyed your visit to Balbirnie House so much. It was very kind of you to take the time to write, much appreciated.

May I just highlight as well, regarding your helpful hint about access to bedrooms: We do not have a lift going up to the upper floors, however we do have multiple (and different types of bedrooms on the ground floor, please simply request if relevant at the point of booking.)

To read a further selection of our monthly guestbook comments and reviews, from guests known to have stayed in our hotel, or who have visited as a guest, please do take just a few moments to visit our web site.

From the many lovely emails, cards and letters which we receive, and in tandem with our guestbook records, every month we take a selection of those additional comments and place them on our latest news sections. As always, our thanks to Donna Reid from our reception team, who takes the time every month to collate all of those very lovely comments and reviews. These can of course be fully trusted, and accepted as reality.

If there is ever any element of guest dissatisfaction whatsoever, then I would always ask please that any guest with any complaint, no matter how small, contacts me personally to discuss.

Best wishes, Nicholas Russell/ General Manager/ Balbirnie House - 1992 - Present

Reviewed November 5, 2012

The hotel is beautifully situated in it's own extensive grounds. The staff at reception and in the bar and restaurant were most attentive and couldn't do enough for us. The food both at dinner and breakfast was good and when we sent back our main course at dinner as the food was not hot enough the manager immediately responded by having fresh mains served quickly and deducted the cost of our bottle of wine from the bill.
Our room was extremely large and very comfortable with a four poster bed, 3 piece suite and dining table and chairs! The only complaint I had was that though the bathroom was very spacious it had a jacuzzi but no shower which disappointed me somewhat.
There is a very cosy and comfortable library where drinks are served and when I asked for a cocktail that was not on their drinks list they offered to make it for me and it was delicious!
Overall my husband and I had a most enjoyable overnight stay especially as we had taken up an Internet offer from Groupon which greatly reduced the cost and made it really good value for money.
I would recommend this hotel for a quiet romantic break for couples and will certainly return again soon.

Room Tip: If you want a room with a shower please make sure to mention this when booking as the bedroom we had...
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple

Hello Alison, we are absolutely delighted to hear that you enjoyed your visit to Balbirnie House so much. It was very kind of you to take the time to write, much appreciated.

Delighted to say that we will be continuing to feature such deals during certain months of the year. Many hotels - when offering such deals - reduce their scope of services and provisions. Not at Balbirnie, the price is certainly different, but the offering remains unchanged.

Olde Worlde? I am afraid you are entirely or partly incorrect in saying that!!! And certainly I have never heard of Balbirnie being thus described! The definition of Olde Worlde - 'a place that is olde-worlde looks very old or has been made to look old in a way that seems false'. Balbirnie House, whilst being one of Scotland's most important Grade A Listed Georgian mansions (circa 1777), is a combination externally of 1700's and 1900's Clasach sandstone, a blend. Internally there is a combination of classic and new.

In passing, the 1845 Statistical Account for Scotland refers: 'Balbirnie House is surpassed by few North of The Tweed'.

In any event, many thanks for your comments, very much appreciated.

Reviewed October 23, 2012

What can we say, firstly sorry it has taken so long to write our review. Myself and my wife had the privilege of out wedding reception at Balbirnie on 25th August. I genuinely mean privilege, it was faultless. From day 1 when we decided it was the place for us, the team at Balbirnie have been nothing but outstanding, it's easy to see why it has so many awards!!

The reception itself went as smooth as i could have hoped for, and if there was any problems myself and Louise were never aware of them which is a sign of just how good the team at Balbirnie really are. The wedding planning, what can i say, we sure got Megan to work for her money and how she pulled it off with our last minute changes, our constant not actually having a plan and our general chaos is a wonder but she did and for that we are so very thankful.

From stepping out the car, the team made sure everyone had a drink in hand and canapes to keep them going. Check in was done as swift as i had ever seen taking into account the sheer volume of guests it was excellent. The meal was top class and i have had several people comment about the standard of food, especially our cranachan sweet!!

It was also my 30th birthday that day and that did not go unoticed, the guys had set the ballroom up in a fantastic manner but had also included some balloons and banners around my chair. It is such touches that make this place stand out. The staff were top class, from reception through to bar staff who had their work cut out but still managed to have some good banter and a laugh with guests at the bar.

The rooms all looked fantastic and i've not heard a bad word about the place, in fact it's been quiet the opposite and we had around 150 guests throughout the day. If i was able to take that bed home i would have had this in my suitcase!

If you are thinking about getting married at Balbirnie, i would say go for it. For such a special day you need a special place and Balbirnie truly delivered an unforgetable day!

So much so that Louise and I have agreed that we will be trying to spend at least a night there on or around our wedding anniversary each year from now on in.

Thank you! Stuart and Louise Bell

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple

Hello Stuart and Louise, we are absolutely delighted to hear that you enjoyed your wedding at Balbirnie House so much. It was so very kind of you to take the time to write, much appreciated.

We very much appreciate you taking the time to post your kind thoughts. Please send me a wee email when you are next visiting, I shall be delighted to arrange a bottle of champagne with the compliments of the house.

You have very kindly mentioned the planning aspects of the day, and no doubt as you have seen, we are thorough in that process - that is out of necessity given the scale of what we are dealing with on a weekly basis.

Reviewed October 15, 2012

On first arriving here after more than a 4 hour drive for a family wedding,we were very impressed.Service and staff were fab,and the day continued nicely,fab food excellent venue. However it rapidly started going down hill once we were ready for retiring to bed,after initially getting in to bed and thinking the sheets were just cold,it didn't seem right.So after getting up again and pulling the sheets back,we were extremely surprised to see a large wet patch on the mattress!!!! Totally unacceptable! Although after calling reception,and the night porter kindly finding us another room to move too,it was by this time gone 1am in the morning when we had to re pack and move. As if this wasn't bad enough when checking out,there was no apology,even though when I brought the matter up they were aware of the situation. The receptionist then continued to charge us the FULL price and implied it was something we may have done!!! After such a nice wedding this ruined the time we were there,and I feel it is totally unacceptable!

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled with family
7  Thank chance6

Dear Chance 6.
Oh dear. You know, running a hotel is such a fascinating thing to do, and at Balbirnie we're certainly working with the real deal I can assure you, not some spoof on the TV. Some of the things I have seen over these last 20 years, you would just simply not believe. Especially when we have such a rich mixture of combined alcohol, emotion, and backdrop. Many of my friend's urge me to write the book - the reality of what can happen here at Party Central, well maybe one day...

Having investigated, what has happened is this - The previous occupants of your allocated bedroom have spilt something on the mattress. (Crikey, let us not dwell on what it was that was spilt.) Those previous occupants have then themselves turned the mattress, hence our Housekeepers did not see when the room was serviced. You have then gotten into bed, and the weight on the mattress has compressed making the liquid rise and seep through into the sheets. As I say - Oh dear.

My sincere apologies for what has happened, and I would hope that you would now be able to conclude, upon explanation, that there was nothing we could have done to avoid this circumstance.

I see you are from Lancashire, what a lovely part of the world. If ever re-visiting Fife please send me an email, whilst we cannot reverse the hands of time, I would however be absolutely delighted to offer you a dinner for 2 in The Orangery, on the house. I would hope that my gesture would redeem your perspective on this unfortunate circumstance.

Reviewed October 15, 2012

My husband and I recently stayed in Balbirnie House Hotel, Markinch, following a wedding reception there on Saturday. While the grounds are beautiful, the location stunning and the wedding reception organised to perfection, with great service and food, we were disappointed with the room, the breakfast and the bar staff. We paid £120 for the room, a special wedding guest rate, and were allocated an attic bedroom on the top floor with 2 small skylight windows and a view of only roof slates. Toiletries were very basic. We had spent the previous night in the Grosvenor Hilton hotel in Glasgow where for £91 we had a superior room overlooking Botanical Gardens with complimentary water, chocolates, shortbread, bath robes and a range of expensive toiletries. My husband found the bar staff at Balbirnie to be unpleasant, indeed at times rude. No bar receipts were issued. The rest of the staff, however, were first rate. Breakfast was unimpressive. Again, we had to compare this with breakfast at the Hilton where there was an extensive range of food available with different types of fresh bread. For a 4* hotel, we felt let down by what we were offered on this experience.

Room Tip: Ask for a room on lower floor, if possible.
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank Weddingplanner010809

Dear WeddingPlanner, we are absolutely delighted to hear that you enjoyed the wedding so much, and that you considered the location stunning, and the wedding reception to be organised to perfection. And so it should be, as Today is not a Dress Rehearsal for tomorrow. (I have been saying that now for 20 years!)

It was very kind of you to take the time to write, much appreciated.

Sorry to hear that you considered that our bar staff did not fully convey the warmth of Scottish hospitality for which Balbirnie is usually renowned.

Attic rooms? I beg your pardon???? We do not have any rooms in any attic. We do however have an entire floor of bedrooms on the third floor of our Grade Listed 1777 Georgian mansion!!! Some of the upper floor bedrooms are set into the eaves, (within the Grade A Listed architecture some do have 'high windows', but categorically there are no bedrooms in an attic. We do not even have an attic!!!!!!!)
Heavens above, what would the original architects have made of your comment? From the 1845 Statistical Account for Scotland, quote 'Balbirnie House is surpassed by few houses North of The Tweed'. That is obviously inclusive of the third floor!!!

Reviewed October 15, 2012

My partner and I attended the wedding of the now Mr and Mrs Magowan on the 13th of October and stayed for one night. The hotel is worthy of the reputation and is a venue.

The staff were helpful and friendly at all times throughout the hotel. The food for the wedding was fantastic with an excellent choice between all courses. The complimentary buffett breakfast (cooked traditional Scottish and continental) was well presented - served in the Orangery- and was most importantly delicious.

The room was comfortable, clean and had everything you would expect from a four star hotel. The hotel itself is a warren of rooms, bars and restaurants.

My only problem was the choices available on the bar menu. For such a lovely hotel I felt a bit aggrived at the choice of beer/lager on offer. Given there are so many wonderful breweries in Scotland it was a shame that the only offerings were mass produced 'chemical' beers. Aside from that I have no complaints.

Thanks for a great stay.

Marc and Catrina

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple

Dear Marc and Catrina, we are absolutely delighted to hear that you enjoyed your visit to Balbirnie House so much. It was very kind of you to take the time to write, much appreciated.

(Regarding beers, in The Library we are Guinness, Carlsberg Lager Extra Cold, and Belhaven Ale - that seems to suit well for the great majority of guests. We do have scope to add one further beer, and have taken your suggestion on board as something to contemplate adding.)
Please head on over to Facebook and click 'Like' on Balbirnie's page, by doing that you will be notified if we and when we add another beer ...

Reviewed October 14, 2012

Thank you so much for making our special day perfect! Amazing service from the moment we walked in until the moment we left :) thank you soooo much to Meghan and Grant for all of your hard work! Would recommend this hotel to anyone and everyone!

• Stayed: October 2012

Dear Paul and Kelly, we are absolutely delighted to hear that you enjoyed your wedding at Balbirnie House so much. It was very kind of you to take the time to write, much appreciated.

Thank you so much also for singling out those individuals for praise, it is just lovely to receive such comments where and when they are due.

Really delighted to hear your comments, as always: Today is not a Dress Rehearsal for tomorrow!

We shall look forward to welcoming you back to Balbirnie on a future occasion. In passing, as a very small gesture of appreciation for you taking the time to write, please send me a wee email to let me know when you are back, I will be delighted to organise some complimentary cocktails as a pre-dinner drink. (We are now adding James Bond's Vesper Martini - that would work well!)

Also consider these accommodations in or near Markinch
Best Western Balgeddie House Hotel
#2 of 17 in St. Andrews
Lomond Hills Hotel
Lomond Hills Hotel
#1 of 1 in Freuchie

Been to Balbirnie House? Share your experiences!