“A league of it's own”

Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Markinch
Muirkirk, United Kingdom
“A league of it's own”
Reviewed September 24, 2012

My Husband and I went to Balbirnie House for an overnight after recieving a bubbles and truffles voucher as a wedding present. Where to begin...... We were shown to our deluxe suite to find a bottle of champagne and truffles waiting for us. The bedroom was huge and provided us with a perfect romantic setting.

We booked our dinner for seven o'clock and went down to the lounge area for drinks around 6.30 pm. After being served we were attended by the staff who took our order for dinner straight away, we didn't even manage to finish our drinks when we were informed that our meal was ready.

We went through to the Orangery where we were greeted by the staff and promptly served one of the best meals we have ever tasted. Everything on offer was freshly cooked and the attention to detail was outstanding. After finishing our dinner we were served coffee in the lounge area where we were able to relax and enjoy the rest of our stay.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Karen M
BalbirnieAdmin, Owner at Balbirnie House, responded to this review, October 4, 2012
Hello Karen, we are absolutely delighted to hear that you enjoyed your visit to Balbirnie House so much. It was very kind of you to take the time to write, much appreciated.

To read a further selection of our monthly guestbook comments and reviews, from guests known to have stayed in our hotel, or who have visited as a guest, please do take just a few moments to visit our web site.

From the many lovely emails, cards and letters which we receive, and in tandem with our guestbook records, every month we take a selection of those additional comments and place them on our latest news sections. As always, our thanks to Donna Reid from our reception team, who takes the time every month to collate all of those very lovely comments and reviews. These can of course be fully trusted, and accepted as reality.

If there is ever any element of guest dissatisfaction whatsoever, then I would always ask please that any guest with any complaint, no matter how small, contacts me personally to discuss.

Best wishes, Nicholas Russell/ General Manager/ Balbirnie House - 1992 - Present

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (144)
Scotland, UK.
Reviewed September 16, 2012

My previous review was not good about Balbirnie. As I was staying overnight then, it still applies.

I had vouchers to use for dinner and chose to go at the beginning of September with my cousin and her husband. It was superb. We were delighted with our meal and especially happy because they upgraded us to the chef's table where we could watch the preparation of our food. The staff were exceptionally helpful and informative. The food was delicious and we could not fault it. Well done Balbirnie, you have redeemed yourselves in my eyes.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
BalbirnieAdmin, Owner at Balbirnie House, responded to this review, September 18, 2012
Dear RKPT, we are absolutely delighted to hear that we have redeemed your perspective, and that you enjoyed your visit to The Orangery. I will be sure to pass your comments on to the entire team. We are ourselves really happy with The Orangery consistency this year, having also reverted back to the winning formula of canapes, 4 courses, coffee and tablet all inclusive. When I think back to my first 500 Saturday nights on Duty at Balbirnie, taking guest orders - without doubt that has been our best format, and it certainly provides for a complete evening, an experience.

Reviewed September 15, 2012 via mobile

My husband and I came for the four course dinner with canapés.

We had a fabulous night and were really looked after. The lounge for pre drinks was so cosy and the dinner tasted delicious.

We loved every moment and we like our 'michelin' dining. The whole place just had a lovely homely feel and we will definitely be back.

• Stayed August 2012
Hello Heather, and we are absolutely delighted to hear that you enjoyed your visit to The Orangery. I will be sure to pass your comments on to the entire team.

I am particularly delighted that you considered the evening to be fabulous. Amongst my chat in 2012 is very much - 'The Orangery should always offers fabulous affordability', so it is lovely to hear that you share the view. Thank you so much for your thoughts.

Edinburgh, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 13, 2012

My husband and I had a wonderful time. The food at the Orangery was delicious and the staff were friendly and accommodating. The room was great, the bed almost too comfortable. The only downsides were that there was not a proper shower in the bathroom and we could hear the music from the dining room in our room, but besides that I could not fault a thing.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Harris B
Dear HarrisB, we are absolutely delighted to hear that you enjoyed your visit to Balbirnie House. I will be sure to pass your comments on to the entire team.

It was very kind of you to take the time to write, much appreciated.

Comment duly noted re shower, however the room in question does have a shower which can be used in the bath? ....

(In terms of music, that is a mystery, as The Orangery does not have bedrooms above? I wonder if this may have been from another bedroom, or indeed could have come from an Aftershow Party?)

Glasgow, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 4, 2012

The setting of the hotel is picturesque, the gardens are absolutely beautiful. Our room was a very decent size, tidy and welcoming, and the bed was incredibly comfortable - best sleep of my life! Downsides: the food was overpriced for what we got, overall very poor value for money. We had an incredibly long wait for a couple of sandwiches and an overpriced pot of tea the afternoon we arrived, and the sandwiches were definitely not worth the price nor the wait. Breakfast was a bit of a shambles. We had to wait over 20 minutes for the buffet to be replenished, the food came out in dribs and drabs from the kitchen, and we were not asked if we wanted any more toast or fresh tea or coffee, so I had cold toast and luke-warm tea. I had to take cutlery from a different table as there was no waiting staff to be seen. The meal at dinner wasn't too bad. The starter (carrot and orange soup) was bland and needed of seasoning. Maybe an extra stock cube? The pudding was delicious, however (meringue/ fruit coulis basket). For all the waiting staff that was present, it was next to impossible to get their attention, including the attention of the manager. I understand it was a busy night, but I still expected a higher level of professionalism.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank fin_233
Hello Fin, and we are very happy to hear that you had the best sleep of your life. We are however extremely disappointed to hear the other points you have raised, which certainly do not match the contexts of our usual provision of service.

I must say, our sandwich formats - as triple decker with salad and kettle chips- have been the same for the last 5 years or so, and never once have we received a single negative comment previously. How very strange.

With regard to breakfast, we are certainbly accustomed to replenishing breakfast buffet freshly as required, and I am sorry if there was any inadvertent delay, as outlined.

I am very glad to read that we came some way to meeting your expectations at dinner, on what was clearly, as you have referred - a busy night.

Alas, like Tiger Woods - whilst the objective is always there, we cannot hit the green on every single occasion, especially if we are ever taken by surprise with guest numbers or timings, which is a rare circumstance indeed. As a service component let you down at breakfast I will be absolutely delighted , should you wish- to offer you a repeat stay with our compliments (for 2 guests, dinner, bed and breakfast). I would however ask for a few moments to discuss sandwiches, if you have a better methodology then I will implement at Balbrnie. Please contact me direct to arrange for your repeat stay... and I will be delighted to ensure all is as it should be for your arrival.

It was very kind of you to take the time to write, much appreciated. All feedback most gratefully received.

dundee
Reviewed September 3, 2012

We had dinner here for the first time on Saturday evening using an "itison" voucher.. The staff are extremely attentive and professional and we felt welcome from the moment we stepped in the door. The organgery had a lovely calm and relaxing feel to it. The food was fantastic and then we had our coffee and tablet in the lounge. Very impressed and would certainly dine here again with our without a voucher. I would highly recommend this hotel.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank fedge2
Hello Fedge2, and we are absolutely delighted to hear that you enjoyed your visit to The Orangery, on the ITISON deal. I will be sure to pass your comments on to the entire team.

Many establishments, when offering such deals, tend to provide a compromised offer. Not at Balbirnie, and I must say as well that we have been so delighted with the guest responses, certainly fabulous affordability!!!

Edinburgh
Reviewed September 3, 2012

My Wife and I visited here for dinner on Sun 2nd September, and loved every minute. My Wife (like alot of others) purchased the itison 2 for 1 deal, which was for a 4 course meal with canapes, plus coffee, which was excellent value. The set menu had plenty choice, and everything we ate, was simply amazing. Our favourite was the profiteroles dessert! Drinks prices are standard for an independant house/hotel. Staff service was great, very attentive and accomodating. I cant comment on how good the actual hotel is as we only ate in the restaurant, but the venue is lovely, with gorgeous gardens. We hope to return for the golf course and a re-visit to the restaurant.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank G4L
Dear G4L, we are absolutely delighted to hear that you enjoyed your visit to The Orangery, on the ITISON deal. I will be sure to pass your comments on to the entire team.

I fully agree with your comments about the Profiteroles. Balbirnie's Pastry Chef Rob Jones collected the Medaille D'Argent award at Scotland's Hotel of the Year Awards, a well deserved result.

It was very kind of you to take the time to write, much appreciated. We also appreciate your further comments about the gardens, our lawns this year were treated by local company Your Lawn Services, and we are overjoyed with the level of presentation achieved, relevant especially for all wedding and Special Event commemorative photography.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Markinch
Best Western Balgeddie House Hotel
#2 of 17 in St. Andrews
Fairmont St Andrews
Fairmont St Andrews
#4 of 17 in St. Andrews

Been to Balbirnie House? Share your experiences!