Balbirnie House
  • Restaurant
  • Bar/Lounge
Good 3.5/5
  • Restaurant
All reviewsorangery restaurantafternoon teacourse mealfrom start to finishdrawing roombridal suitewhole experiencefirst classwedding venuewedding guestslibrary barwonderful weddingparty nightbefore dinnerhotel is beautifuldining experiencegolf course
FilterAll languages
Reviewed January 30, 2012

My husband and I and two friends had an overnight at the beautiful Balbirnie House Hotel. The rooms were well equipped and homely feel about them. The grounds of the hotel are well kept and great for walking with a craft shop in the grounds too. The cream tea was delicious with scrummy homemade scone, cream and jam. We had canapes served in the bar with our pre-dinner drinks whilst looking at the menus and then dinner in The Orangery was divine. The fillet steaks were cooked to perfection and the desserts were to die for. Nice setting and very attentive staff. Would certainly recommend it.

• Stayed: January 2012, traveled with friends
Rosemary S, Owner at Balbirnie House, responded to this reviewResponded February 29, 2012

Hello Mags,

Many thanks for taking the time to write, all of us at Balbirnie House very much appreciate and value your comments, and the time which you have taken to provide your feedback about your visit. I will arrange to circulate your comments to the entire team at Balbirnie.

I am chuffed in the extreme to hear that you enjoyed your steak!!! As is Executive Chef Mark Lindsey. We are so very proud at Balbirnie of our highly valued 20 year purchasing relationship with David Smith of our local J Henderson’s Butchers, and their supply to Balbirnie over all these years, of the finest Aberdeen Angus Limousin cross steaks. It is said that these steaks are better than Japanese Kobe beef, and it won’t be this hotelier who disagrees with that.

Reviewed January 19, 2012

We booked rooms for ourselves and my parents-in-law for a couple of nights. Service was outstanding, the staff couldn't have been more helpful. The hotel itself is beautiful whether the public areas or the bedrooms. We enjoyed an enormous room with lovely en suite. Despite the room's size it was warm and cosy. Everywhere is scrupulously clean. We ate in The Bistro both nights and the food was both excellent and very good value, too. Breakfasts in the very elegant surroundings of The Orangery were wonderful. "Best porridge I've ever had" was my wife's verdict.
The downsides? Nothing of any importance. The hotel stands in extensive grounds but these are owned by the local council so jogging/cycling/dog-walking members of the public are continually passing through. There is no gym or other leisure facilities if that sort of thing is important for you. Markinch is close to Glenrothes which is not exactly a hot-ticket tourist destination but it is central Fife, so St Andrews, the East Neuk, Edinburgh, Dundee and Perth are all within striking distance as is the very pretty and historic village of Falkland.

• Stayed: December 2011, traveled with family

We are absolutely delighted to hear that you enjoyed your stay. Our Head Housekeeper Izzy Docherty is always over the moon to hear the words ‘scrupulously clean’.

Your comments about our location are correct. Whilst we are a few minutes of Glenrothes in one direction, in the other we are adjacent to The Howe of Fife, and all the rest of what Fife has to offer. Having lived here now for 20 years I have very much come to appreciate the magnificence of the area, and the sincerity and charm of our people.

Glenrothes itself is well worth a drive around in the summer months, boasting a truly incredible and most colourful array of artistic floristry. In 2011 it was jaw-dropping.

To read a further selection of our monthly guestbook comments and reviews, from guests known to have stayed in our hotel, or who have visited as a guest, please do take just a few moments to visit our web site.
From the many lovely emails, cards and letters which we receive, and in tandem with our guestbook records, every month we take a selection of those additional comments and place them on our latest news sections. As always, our thanks to Donna Reid from our reception team, who takes the time every month to collate all of those very lovely comments and reviews. These can of course be fully trusted, and accepted as reality.

If there is ever any element of guest dissatisfaction whatsoever, then I would always ask please that any guest with any complaint, no matter how small, contacts me personally to discuss. My email- nicholas@balbirnie.co.uk Should you wish to personally discuss- My personal mobile 07768 958041

Reviewed January 10, 2012

Was taken here as a surprise in Decemeber. I was immediately impressed by the surrounding and how stunning the building was. The staff were very helpful and a porter took us to our room. The rooms were very homely, clean and spacious. They had large, comfortable beds, flatscreen TVs etc.

The food was absolutely amazing- great menu to choose from.The service was top notch.

I really enjoyed my stay here and would reccommend it!

• Stayed: December 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Calum_2007

Hello Calum,

It is very encouraging indeed to have received such a Complimentary review in particular from such an enthusiastic TripAdvisor reviewer, and I am overjoyed that you considered your meal to be amazing. The proof of the pudding!!!

Reviewed January 9, 2012

My husband and I live in Edinburgh and when we started looking at wedding venues, never really imagined that we'd end up getting married in Fife - we started our search in the Borders and East Lothian. However, so many venues that we viewed either couldn't accommodate our numbers (110) or were just too over the top - we wanted something special with aspects of gradeur but also something with an intimate feel. Balbirnie had everything we were looking for - the ballroom was grand yet not too over the top plus its huge windows gave a wonderful lightness to the room, even though we got married in November.

We were married on the Saturday in the Orangery, had our reception in the Long Gallery and Bar and our wedding breakfast and evening party in the ballroom. We also had a private dinner for 30 friends and family on the Friday evening. Whilst I initially preferred the Long Gallery as a ceremony venue, it couldn't accommodate our numbers - at first, I was reluctant to have the ceremony in the Orangery, having only ever seen it set up as a restaurant - however, when I went to one of the hotel's wedding open days, it was transformed and so lovely - very classic look. We decorated the room with candles from Ikea - so many guests voluntarily commented on how nice the candles and the room were, many never even realising that it was a restaurant most of the time.

Whilst the venue and the food were fantastic and commented upon by so many of our guests, by far and away the best thing about the venue was the staff. Staff on reception were so helpful and pleasant throughout the wedding and the banqueting manager was superb on the day - so friendly and yet professional; I totally trusted her. The real star, however, was Meghan, our Wedding Co-ordinator - she was great; lovely to deal with, realiable, prompt at responding, happy to be flexible and work to our requirements, happy to meet our ever-changing and last minutes requests and had such attention to detail. Having organised dozens of events at work, I can be a bit of control freak and yet totally trusted Meghan with our wedding. Even when Meghan was out of the office, someone else from the hotel was sure to respond to our emails and help. They really were a pleasure to deal with.

This is my first Trip Advisor review and it probably sounds a bit gushing - however, it really is a great hotel for weddings and would highly recommend it!

• Stayed: November 2011, traveled as a couple

Hello Sarah,

Many thanks for taking the time to write, all of us at Balbirnie House very much appreciate and value your comments, and the time which you have taken to provide your feedback about your Special Day at Balbirnie House. I will arrange to circulate your comments to the entire team at Balbirnie.

As I always say with regard to weddings especially – ‘Today is not a dress rehearsal for tomorrow’ – it is heartening therefore to hear that we have achieved what we set out to do.

I would certainly have to also especially agree about all of your comments about the very lovely Meghan Davies, who is an absolute star at Balbirnie!!! Thank you so much for your kindness, it really is a reward to the entire team here at Balbirnie, to hear that we have delivered the goods.

Reviewed December 26, 2011

I stayed at the hotel for one night on a dinner, bed and breakfast rate.

The hotel is beautiful. The best thing is definitely the staff that work here, they really do go out their way to make the experience special and individually bespoke to each guest.

It is clearly within the culture of the hotel that all staff are encouraged to act and deal with customers in such a manner. Very impressed by this.

The rooms were lovely; they had a lot of character, were well appointed and very clean. The bed was especially comfortable.

Prices for the hotel were also reasonable and the food was of good quality. Particularly enjoyed the seting of the restaurant and lounge area.

Bathroom was very clean and had a powerful shower and bath combined.

Would definitely stay here again and was very pleased with the whole experience; the service levels are difficult to beat.

Only thing that wasn't present was WIFI which may put off business customers as there is also a very poor, intermittent mobile phone signal in most of the hotel. There is wired internet access at a small charge if you wish to connect using a laptop.

• Stayed: December 2011, traveled with friends

Many thanks for taking the time to write about your Christmas stay, all of us at Balbirnie House very much appreciate and value your comments, and the time which you have taken to provide your feedback. I will arrange to circulate your comments to the entire team at Balbirnie.

We were delighted to read that you enjoyed your stay. That is so very kind of you to mention, especially set against the backdrop of such a special time of year.

I am personally, as a hotelier, additionally so very appreciative of the comments which you have passed about members of our team, it is special to know when we have exceeded guest expectations.

As regards WiFi- I mention in passing that this is fully installed (and is Complimentary) in all Public areas.