My husband and I live in Edinburgh and when we started looking at wedding venues, never really imagined that we'd end up getting married in Fife - we started our search in the Borders and East Lothian. However, so many venues that we viewed either couldn't accommodate our numbers (110) or were just too over the top - we wanted something special with aspects of gradeur but also something with an intimate feel. Balbirnie had everything we were looking for - the ballroom was grand yet not too over the top plus its huge windows gave a wonderful lightness to the room, even though we got married in November.
We were married on the Saturday in the Orangery, had our reception in the Long Gallery and Bar and our wedding breakfast and evening party in the ballroom. We also had a private dinner for 30 friends and family on the Friday evening. Whilst I initially preferred the Long Gallery as a ceremony venue, it couldn't accommodate our numbers - at first, I was reluctant to have the ceremony in the Orangery, having only ever seen it set up as a restaurant - however, when I went to one of the hotel's wedding open days, it was transformed and so lovely - very classic look. We decorated the room with candles from Ikea - so many guests voluntarily commented on how nice the candles and the room were, many never even realising that it was a restaurant most of the time.
Whilst the venue and the food were fantastic and commented upon by so many of our guests, by far and away the best thing about the venue was the staff. Staff on reception were so helpful and pleasant throughout the wedding and the banqueting manager was superb on the day - so friendly and yet professional; I totally trusted her. The real star, however, was Meghan, our Wedding Co-ordinator - she was great; lovely to deal with, realiable, prompt at responding, happy to be flexible and work to our requirements, happy to meet our ever-changing and last minutes requests and had such attention to detail. Having organised dozens of events at work, I can be a bit of control freak and yet totally trusted Meghan with our wedding. Even when Meghan was out of the office, someone else from the hotel was sure to respond to our emails and help. They really were a pleasure to deal with.
This is my first Trip Advisor review and it probably sounds a bit gushing - however, it really is a great hotel for weddings and would highly recommend it!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Balbirnie House is a quite unique multi-award winning country house hotel which combines understated luxury with superb service and outstanding value. Widely acknowledged as one of the finest of the privately owned small luxury hotels in Scotland, Balbirnie offers a wonderful experience, whatever the occasion of your visit. Fine food, lovely surroundings and above all a real sense of friendly Scottish hospitality combine to create quite a unique setting for today’s house guests to enjoy. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, Hotels.com, Travelocity, Priceline, Orbitz, Hotwire, TripOnline SA, HotelQuickly and Evoline ltd so you can book your Balbirnie House reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Balbirnie House Hotel Markinch
- Balbirnie House Markinch, Scotland