“Great service and setting”
Review of Balbirnie House

Balbirnie House
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Markinch
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
“Great service and setting”
Reviewed September 5, 2011

We went to balbirnie for a wedding and stayed over. Check in and check out was a professional process. generally the staff were fantastic - they were friendly, polite, unintrusive and professional. i couldn't really fault them. the room was pretty expensive although it was very clean, spacious and the bed comfortable. the breakfast was top notch with options to have buffet or a separate menu. I would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank ajmidlothian
BalbirnieAdmin, Owner at Balbirnie House, responded to this review, September 12, 2011
Dear AJ, our sincere gratitude for such kind comments.

Many thanks for taking the time to write, all of us at Balbirnie House very much appreciate and value your comments, and the time which you have taken to provide your feedback. I will arrange to circulate your comments to the entire team at Balbirnie.
Like any hotel, we’ll never be able to say that we get things 100% right all of the time, given the complex logistics of operating one of the most truly vibrant hotels of its size in the UK, but we certainly try, and it is most encouraging to hear about it when do deliver exactly as envisaged and planned. Our lives at Balbirnie certainly revolve around looking after guests, and it is so nice to hear about it when nice feedback arrives.
To read a further selection of our monthly guestbook comments and reviews, from guests known to have stayed in our hotel, or who have visited as a guest, please do take just a few moments to visit our web site.
From the many lovely emails, cards and letters which we receive, and in tandem with our guestbook records, every month we take a selection of those additional comments and place them on our latest news sections. As always, our thanks to Donna Reid from our reception team, who takes the time every month to collate all of those very lovely comments and reviews. These can of course be fully trusted, and accepted as reality.

If there is ever any element of guest dissatisfaction whatsoever, then I would always ask please that any guest with any complaint, no matter how small, contacts me personally to discuss. My email- nicholas@balbirnie.co.uk Should you wish to personally discuss- My mobile 07768 958041
Best wishes, Nicholas Russell/ Hotel Manager/ Balbirnie House/ 1992 - Present

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (143)
N.Wales UK
Reviewed July 16, 2011

Just returned from the Balbirnie House after a one night stay for a family wedding and have to say that we had a great time. The rooms were lovely and quite spacious with a good selection of toiletries and tea/coffee making facilities in the room. The bathroom was nice and clean with plenty of towels provided.
The hotel itself is a lot bigger than I thought it would be and there were several rooms where the wedding party could wander around.
The staff were very pleasant and the service was excellent and couldn't fault it at all.
The gardens were just perfect for all the wedding photo's too.
The Scottish (buffet style) breakfast in the morning was just what we all needed after the night before lol. Plenty to choose from and the food was hot and well cooked.
Overall, we thoroughly enjoyed our stay here and would recommend the Balbirnie House to anyone :)

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
12 Thank HEVER
BalbirnieAdmin, Owner at Balbirnie House, responded to this review, July 18, 2011

Reviewed June 30, 2011

I recently visited Balbirnie House for dinner with a small group of friends. The whole experience was fantastic and really not what I expected. From the pre dinner drinks and complementary canapes to the delicious and very well presented 3 course meal, mind you at a very reasonable price too!
Very impressed by all staff that we had the pleasure of dealing with also. Will definitely visit again!

• Stayed June 2011
2 Thank MattyMcG84
Hello Matty,
So happy to hear your comments. Our Orangery menu has been evolved further of late, and we are so happy to say the least to see that it exceeded your expectations.

North Yorkshire, UK
Reviewed June 12, 2011

The Balbirnie is consistently good. All staff are very courteous and helpful. The rooms are good but are showing some signs of wear and tear so could do with a little TLC.

Service and choice in the Library Bar is excellent, with complementary nibbles and canapes whilst you select from the Orangery menu. The Orangery food and service is consistently excellent, both for dinner and for the superb breakfast.

I would not look to stay elsewhere when in the area - but would be even better if they resumed the supply of the delicious shortbread on the hospitality trays!

• Stayed May 2011, traveled on business
2 Thank Mighty-Red
Hello Mighty Red,
Comments noted re shortbread. I’d mention in passing that we had an Inspector a few years ago who had ‘issues’ with leaving homemade shortbread out, but there we go, sometimes these days it is as if the world has gone mad. Please let me know personally re the occasion of your next visit and I will personally make a fresh batch ready for your arrival.

Bo'ness, United Kingdom
Reviewed May 4, 2011

Everything about Balbirnie was fantastic. From our first meeting with them till our departure. Can't fault a thing.

Room Tip: Get married there
  • Stayed October 2010, traveled with family
Hello Lugs,
We are simply over the moon to hear that you considered our humble hotel to be fantastic.

Glasgow, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 20, 2011

We had our daughter's wedding at the Balbirnie and had the most perfect day imaginable. This hotel has taken weddings to a new level. Their attention to detail from beginning to end ensures that everything goes to plan and their wedding coordinators are so friendly and helpful that they almost become a part of the family.

This is an old hotel that is being looked after so well by its present owners and provides pleasantly comfortable and stunning rooms. Like most old hotels there are so many nooks and crannies that that allow you to find a quiet space if you need it.

We had a meal for the extended family the night before the wedding and the food and hospitality were outstanding. The attention to detail extends to every member of staff and their friendliness obviously reflects the overall management of the hotel.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled with family
Hello Jim,
In my 20 years spent thus far personally running and administering the operations within this beautiful old house I can recall many lovely comments from guests, but your own perspective has actually made me feel rather emotional. Frankly it is comments such as these which guide us all in our trade, and which motivate us to try and do even better tomorrow. Sir, on behalf of our entire brigade I thank you sincerely.
We are simply over the moon to hear your comments.

Glenrothes, United Kingdom
Reviewed February 16, 2011

We had small and intimate wedding at Balbirnie House at the end of October last year. To say our day was special is obviously an understatment but I cant understate enough how, this was in large part, thanks to the staff at Balbirnie House Hotel. Not only did our day go smoothly and as we'd wanted, they exceeded our expectations with attentive service from the staff, help with last minute bridal dilemmas and wonderful food and drink. Our friends and family are still talking about the day and what a wonderful venue Balbirnie proved to be. I would recommend Balbirnie to any bride to be. Exceptional quality in lovely surroundings and with an amazing staff who look after you so very well.

• Stayed October 2010
1 Thank HeatherV733
Hello Heather,
We are simply overjoyed to hear that your special day was indeed so special. You say ‘Exceptional quality in lovely surroundings’, well that is just so nice to hear.

Best wishes, Nicholas Russell/ Hotel Manager/ Balbirnie House/ 1992 - Present
Also consider these accommodations in or near Markinch
Best Western Balgeddie House Hotel
Best Western Plus Keavil House Hotel
Balmule House
Balmule House
#4 of 12 in Dunfermline

Been to Balbirnie House? Share your experiences!