“Excellent lunch”
Review of The Bell

The Bell
Good for: Local cuisine
Description: The Bell Hotel is located in the small town of Burgh le Marsh which was once an ancient Roman settlement. Just off the A158, set between the popular seaside resort of Skegness, about five miles east, and the beautiful tranquil hills of the Lincolnshire Wolds. Both locals and visitors are always made to feel welcome at the Bell.Batemans XB is always served along with a good range of wines Food is served daily from bar snack to three course meal, in either the bar or the restuarant. All the meat is from the local butcher.The restaurant can also be turned in to a function room, ideal for parties or small meetings. Various catering packages are available.There are also eight en-suite bedrooms and three self catering cottages which are located in the hotel grounds.
Reviewed May 10, 2019 via mobile

Came here after reading the reviews on TA. We were warmly greeted on our arrival which set the tone for our excellent lunch.
The Bell had a lunch time menu which offers two meals for 12 quid. (Bargain)! We chose meals from that menu, I had their fish n chips, my wife had piri piri chicken! We both agreed that the meals were excellent in both quality and quantity-and served in a timely fashion.
These places need customer support and they are trying their hardest to survive in today’s cut throat food business. So, if your after good home cooked food served in warm friendly surroundings you’d be well advised to pay a visit to the Bell. We are down this way again in August and we will certainly pay the Bell a visit.
Thank you for your hospitality.

Date of visit: May 2019
SteveW_JulieN, Owner at The Bell, responded to this reviewResponded May 11, 2019

Thank you for your review.
We are very pleased that you enjoyed your experience at the Bell.
We look forward to seeing you again soon.

Reviewed May 7, 2019

Great value meals here and several offers two for £12 between 5-5pm tuesday to thursdays great quite friendly pub clean and tidy great staff fully recommended to all

Date of visit: March 2019

Thank you for your review which is much appreciated.

Reviewed April 12, 2019 via mobile

We Had a family member across for a visit so decided to treat them to our favourite place to eat. When we arrived they was very busy with a table of nearly 50 people with learning difficulties so had to wait a short while to order ..when we did (after only 15 minutes) the food was great as always. We spoke to a few of the big party as they was leaving and they said they loved eating here as the foods great and we don't get judged regarding our disabilities and difficulties , which I think is a credit to all at the bell. Well done again.

Date of visit: April 2019

Thank you for your review.
The 50 guests you refer to have become relatively regular visitors to us and we love catering for them. They always enjoy their visits and we and our staff look forward to seeing them sometime soon.

Reviewed April 4, 2019

Have eaten regularly at this pub for a couple of years, when it changed hands we stuck with the new owners despite a drop in service and an absent landlord. Last month the usual meal deal had gone up in price from £25 to £30 which was not outrageous but we were not allowed to open the free bottle of wine that came with the meal and consume it on the premises, being forced to purchase extra drinks. Having visited this establishment for what has turned out to be the last time I found that the meal deal (which we were not told of in advance) had now gone up to £38, a massive leap from the original £25. I won't be frequenting this pub any more, the staff are trying their hardest but are lacking leadership.

Date of visit: April 2019
3  Thank Anne F

We are always sorry to lose customers.
Unfortunately the old meal deal had been in place for 4 years at the same price of 2 ribeye or sirloin steaks for £25 with a complimentary 75cl bottle of wine worth over £13.
Due to price increases this offer was unsustainable and, despite its popularity for obvious reasons, it had to end.
It was temporarily replaced with a rump steak offer, but this was not as popular.
As we did not wish to compromise on quality we chose to retain the original meal, but amend the offer to 2 meals at standard price with complimentary wine worth up to £14.
All our offers are clearly stated on the specials board, and our staff are more than willing to explain them in the event of confusion.

As for the landlord being absent during your visits. You tended to visit once a week on Thursday evening steak nights at around 6pm for an hour or two. I work every day from 6.45am until around 2pm (even on my days off) on varied jobs around the hotel, resting mid afternoon until mid evening and then finish my day with a late shift from 8pm until close after midnight. Some of my days being 19 hours. I don't get to see all our customers everyday but I do occasionally change my shift to try and be present during some of there visits. However, to ensure our customers get a good service we employ 9 staff in various roles who all contribute to the running of this hotel.

PS I often personally took your meal booking from your husband when he called when passing while out walking the dogs.

Reviewed March 24, 2019 via mobile

We stopped in burgh le marsh over the weekend, and decided to eat here once we had unpacked on the Friday evening. I ordered fish, my partner the fish medley, and my little girl the chicken and rice. We were advised that if was 'fish friday' so it was £16.99 for both of our mains....bargain! Even more so as this included a bottle of wine!! Complimentary olives and bread filled a hole for all of us as we waited for our mains, however we were bowled over by the size of the mains when they did arrive. They were huge!!! The food was delicious and we all enjoyed. We were 'persuaded' by each other(!) to have a pudding, so we all shared a chocolate fudge cake. Once again, amazing.
We had planned on eating somewhere else the second night, but on viewing that menu, we made our excuses and came back here. We didn't enjoy our meal as much, but we're very appreciative that they had managed to fit us in on what was a busy evening. We both had the Sizzlers. I enjoyed mine more than my partner as he wished he had got my sauce. Again huge portions and as a result we skipped the desert, (although we had shared a starter!!).

Date of visit: March 2019
SteveW_JulieN, Owner at The Bell, responded to this reviewResponded March 25, 2019

Thank you for your lovely review. We hope to see you again soon.