“Lovely Hotel!”

Hotel Laguna Mar
Baltimore, Maryland
“Lovely Hotel!”
Reviewed October 22, 2012

I had such a wonderful and relaxing stay at Hotel Laguna Mar. The hotel is chic and new while surround by Costa Rica's natural beauty.The rooms were incredibly clean and the staff was exceptionally nice. The owner even gave us rides to all of the sights we wanted to see. The bar was fun to hang out at, the pool was the right temperature, and the food was delicious! Not far from the hotel is a beautiful secluded beach that had the most breathtaking sunsets. I also got to see monkeys and iguanas near the hotel. I felt that the staff went above and beyond for me and my friend and I would totally recommend this hotel to anyone!

• Stayed March 2012, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (36)
  • Czech first
Orange County, California
Reviewed October 17, 2012

On a tip from a friend who lives in Playa San Miguel, I booked a stay at this property on my most recent trip to Costa Rica. This is a boutique hotel with bed and breakfast hospitality and smart sophistication. The property is new and all rooms are done in a clean, minimalist stye. They are nicely appointed including wi-fi, flat screen tv's, individual air conditioning, amazing papaya toiletries and free snacks.

You will be greeted by the staff, who will prepare a refreshing welcome drink and provide a tour of the property. The hotel is a great source of information on local activities; whether it's an afternoon kayaking, horseback riding, zip lining or at the butterfly farm. If you prefer to relax, sit by the pool and enjoy the excellent food and service from their poolside restaurant and bar.

Playa San Miguel is a hidden gem on the Costa Rican coast just south of Samara. Please don't forget to stop here for a few nights to experience Costa Rican hospitality at it's best!

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends
Dallas, Texas
Reviewed October 11, 2012

We drove down from Samara for a weekend trip and stayed at Laguna Mar. What a fabulous place it was. The owner and staff went out of their way for us and made us feel super special. Very nice rooms and lovely pool and dining area. The food was superb! This was worth the rocky road trip and I totally recommend to go visit. I love to find these hidden treasures in Costa Rica!

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Brooklyn, New York
Reviewed October 2, 2012

This year I just wanted to relax and unwind on my vacation and I got just that! My five night stay (Aug. 31- Sept. 5th) at Hotel Laguna Mar fit the bill exceptionally!
While the ride from the airport in San Jose is about a three hour ride, PLEASE do not let that deter you! I can't begin to describe how attentive the staff is--from the owner, Drew, the manager, Michael, right on down to those who clean your room...simply FABULOUS! My group (mix of family and friends; all women) was greeted with cocktails upon our arrival! Now THAT is how you end a 3 hour commute!
Every step of the way Drew, Michael and the staff were so thoughtful and attentive, it was truly beyond words. For example, I was in Room 4 on the lower level near the jacuzzi. There was a really bright light outside my room. I never had to utter a word about it before going to bed because Michael was there each night making sure it was out and checking to be sure that each of us was ok. I don't think he sleeps much! He is truly sweetheart and reliable young man!
The rooms are SUPER clean (for pics see my sister's review Lakesha A) and the decor is modern. I absolutely ADORED the bathroom; specifically that shower! OMG, what an incredible amount of space! If you're travelling with your significant other, you'll enjoy it ;-) Especially that box of "treats" in the room for couples ;-) I'm telling you Drew thinks of EVERYTHING to make your stay enjoyable!! LOL

The food is fantastic. The chef, Paulo is gifted and it's obvious that he is passionate about his craft. One night he even prepared a special item that was not the menu! Dinner each night was beyond words and his SANGRIA!!! WOW!!! Be sure to have Paulo make you a pitcher OR TWO OR THREE LOL

If you're interested in activities away from the hotel, Drew gives great guidance and insight on what is available. He knows all about the best spots to go for food and drink, a change of atmosphere or where to go if you're the outdoorsy type, too. By the way, don't fret about there not being a spa on site (give that some time, too; Drew's got some BIG plans in mind) but he will gladly make arrangements for someone to come to the hotel. JUST ASK!

The hotel is also patronized by locals from the town and nearby areas so it gives it a homey feel which is wonderful. In truth, you get the best of both worlds. A comfy homey feel while lounging in this sexy chic boutique hotel.

You gotta check this place out--you WILL NOT be disappointed! Thanks again Drew for giving me an INCREDIBLE vacation!

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends
Alexandria, Virginia
Reviewed September 29, 2012

Have you ever wanted to escape – unplug from the world? Have you ever wondered how Gilligan and his friends lived so remotely, yet so content? Well, I’ve found the place. It’s not your typical back-packing trek through Costa Rica – don’t think hot mineral springs/Arenal Volcano in La Fortuna de San Carlos, cloud forest in Monte Verde or the beaches in Manuel Antonio. Think remote – where you can connect with yourself and nature; take in the beauty of unspoiled land and where the beaches awaken a peace within you as you discover a bit of paradise. And as remote as it is to get to Javilla – a 4 to 5 hour drive (check out the ferry if you’re coming from San Jose), the last few hours bumpy and you begin to question where the road is taking you as day turns to dusk, you happen upon a 21st century South Beach like boutique hotel plopped down in the middle of what feels like nowhere. You say to yourself, “yes, I am not on Survivor or Gilligan’s island.” This is what Ginger and the other castaways needed on that island…a rock star lux boutique hotel with every amenity you could want in the middle of nowhere! Drew, the owner, hotel staff and locals greeted my friends and me after our long trek with drinks when we arrived. And, what awaited us as we came through the gates of the hotel more than exceeded my expectations after traveling the bumpy roads at nightfall. Laguna Mar doesn’t disappoint. The 10-room hotel has a modern design, and each room is impeccably done. You enjoy a flat screen TV, Wi-Fi and an iPod docking station/alarm clock, along with telephone services to the states. The pool and Jacuzzi are small, but it’s all that is needed for the size of the hotel. The dining area is outside but covered with a full service bar. The hotel serves breakfast, lunch, and dinner…and can I say the chef (Paolo) is on point with his delicious gourmet dinner meals. And, if you go, don’t forget to ask him to make you a pitcher of his sangria! Now, to top of the experience in its totality at Laguna Mar was the customer service. Michael, the hotel manager is waiting to meet your every need, whether it’s assisting with planning an activity (horseback riding, zip lining, kayaking, and butterfly farm), breakfast, lunch, dinner, etc. He is available. He’s awake before you are and doesn’t close the bar until the last guest has gone to their room. Drew, the owner was available when we were there, and was very hospitable and gave us background on the area and the locals. He promotes other businesses in the area as well, which was great. He’s planning on expanding the hotel and doing some upgrades to the current space as well. But, as I said, I thought everything was done just perfectly. As I lay in bed, thankful for my 21st century South Beach feel accommodations, I was reminded at the break of dawn that outside of the gates of Laguna Mar, there’s a juxtaposition of the hotel and its tropic nest, as the roosters’ cock-a-doodle dooed! It just made me start my day early to explore the beauty that Costa Rica has to offer. I definitely recommend this hotel to anyone wanting to adventure this side of Guanacaste as it was a relaxing, restful and fun trip with friends. I will be returning.

Room Tip: Rooms are all queen size beds and one room has an adjoining room with two double beds.
Westchester, NY
Reviewed September 28, 2012

What a treat...we arrived in Costa Rica at 2pm and after quite a bit of traveling landed at this gem of a hotel. The way that we were greated set the tone for what was to come. I didn't have to touch my luggage, just wrap my hand around a cool drink! My stay at Laguna Mar was an absolute delight from beginning to end. The owner Drew, manager Michael, chef Paola and all of the staff treated all of us like celebrities, catering to our every need!!
This boutique hotel is a perfect blend of modern style and convenience. The rooms are clean and the bathrooms are to die for!! The showers are definitely great for two:) The pool, lounge, dining area are all together so you feel like your in your own luxury backyard!! The pool is just a great place to chill day or night.

This hotel is located in quite a remote area but our dedicated driver transported us wherever we wanted to go... zip lining, horseback riding, the beach... it was great! The local restaurants were fantastic and I had some of the best seafood that I have ever had. Paolo created some wonderful treats just for us. I wasn't able to drink on this trip but it is my understanding that his Sangria is worth the 3 hour trip from the airport.
All I can say is that I would stay here again without hesitation and I plan on doing just that! This was my introduction to Costa Rica and it did not disappoint, pretty and peaceful.

Room Tip: All of the rooms are great, no need to stress on room selection.
Brooklyn, New York
Reviewed September 20, 2012

I spent 5 wonderful days (arrived late Aug 31st- departed morning of Sept 5th) at Hotel Laguna Mar with my family and friends!!! Couldn't have asked for a better end of the summmer vacation. Since it was my 1st time to Costa Rica, I really didn't have many expectations other than I wanted to go zip lining. Once landed in San Jose, I had no clue the distance of hotel from the airport. At this point, all I cared about was clearing customs.

As we were greeted by our driver Paulo, we began the drive to our hotel, to then discover that it would be a trek to our hotel. The hotel was about a 3-4hrs drive from the airport. After being on a plane for a few hours (had a connecting flight in florida from NYC) and now to have to drive 3 to 4 hrs (depending upon traffic), I wasn't in the best mood. The drive started out like a normal ride, highway roads but eventually we began traveling on bumpy dirt roads. This drive seemed like it would never end. I felt like a kid in the backseat of the car on a family trip asking her parents the infamous question.......ARE WE THERE YET? LOL Anyway, as 1 hr, 2hrs, 3hrs. went by, we finally were there. I have to say it was like heaven opened up and the angels began to sing, ok maybe I'm exaggerating a bit! Listen, I was tired from all the traveling. LOL

As soon as we pulled up, I had no idea that hospitality would greet us at the car. Drew, his manager, Micheal as well as some of other staff, greeted us all as the car with cocktails in hand. Now, you know a cocktail can cure many things i.e. a long day of traveling. LOL
What I really appreciated, was that Drew took into consideration that not everyone may drink. So he had a fruity drink waiting and his manager asked if you would like a shoot ok or maybe 2 shoots in your drink. Either way, everyone was happy and had a refreshing drink.

Our luggage was taken to our rooms and then we were greeted officially by the owner (Drew) and manager (Michael). At this point, we were assigned our room keys and given an overall welcome by Drew. The hotel lobby was amazing, so of course I was a bit anxious to see me room. See pics for views of hotel entrance, lobby and room.

Rooms: I stayed in Room 5 on 2nd floor. Amazing. It's the little things that mean a lot and Drew did a great job and to think he is still making improvements. See pics of my room. I loved my room. One of the many small details that Drew thought of was an umbrella in each room. Yes, an umbrella....well it is Costa Rica!!! LOL
Love the ipod docking station with alarm clock. I was even able to watch TV in english. You can actually switch the language to english but only if the show is an english speaking show.
Did I tell you that I loved my room!! The bathroom was quite spacious as well as beautiful. HUGE shower. Definitely perfect for couples ;-) There was even a romance box in the mini bar area...I will leave that to your imagination as to what was in there:-) LOL Another cool feature was the lighting. I had a red light which illuminated at the door of my room. The door itself was, I guess, you could say frosted glass.....(don't quote me on that). You couldn't see thru it but it was really cool when you switched the red light on and how it displayed outside. Really cute feature. Wifi-----FAST!!! Can you say Facebook updates? LOL

Food: OMG, Chef Paulo was amazing. I totally enjoyed my food especially dinner. The breakfast sandwich, pretty good. For dinner one night, Chef Paulo made steak, potatoes with rosemary and veggies...ABSOLUTELY AMAZING!!! This wasn't even on the menu!!!! I attached a pic of the dessert he also made that night as well. Ummm, ummm good!!!

Staff: Amazing,...Michael, the manager, I really believe he doesn't sleep. :-) He caters to your every need. His english is getting better but he was just so sweet. You really could get spoiled being there. Both the wait and cleaning staff are great as well.

Other Amenities: While, there is a pool but no spa, please don't be discouraged because Drew can provide services like this if you would like. All you have to do is just ask!!!!

Overall, I totally enjoyed myself and my stay at Hotel Laguna Mar. It had all of the amenities of a larger hotel but the quaint feel you have at a bed and breakfast. The views are amazing to wake up too along with the rooster:-) Yes, rooster!! LOL
Would definitely recommend this hotel to my family and friends and I look forward to going back.

FYI: When tiping the cleaning staff, don't tip each day, wait to the end of your stay and then tip. (The cleaning staff will probably not pick up the tips each day.)

Also, please keep in mind, that some of the staff don't speak english well. My recommendation is be patient and completely understanding. The staff are just such wonderful people that it really didn't matter. They just seemed to know what it is you needed!!!

To sum it up: Great food, great drink, great people/staff and great place!!!

Also consider these accommodations in or near Playa San Miguel
#2 of 8 in Nicoya
El Sueno Tropical
El Sueno Tropical
#5 of 8 in Playa Carrillo

Been to Hotel Laguna Mar? Share your experiences!