Beautiful, private resort with only 4 rooms on a mountain overlooking Playa San Miguel. The views are incredible from the rooms and from the common area. The rooms are super-clear, well-appointed, and very comfortable. Linens and towels were exceptionally high-quality. The rooms are a one-minute stroll from the large, common area, which includes a beautiful infinity pool, multiple chaise lounge chairs with great umbrellas and shade, a bar, dining area, pool table, and collection of games and other fun stuff. The whole setup is beautiful and well-maintained. While we were there, they owners replaced the pool chair cushions (which were really nice to start with) with even more comfortable cushions. Zene and her husband (whose name I am unsure of how to spell) are great hosts. They have beach chairs, coolers, umbrellas and other equipment that you can borrow for trips to the beach and excursions. The breakfast is fantastic and it's extremely pleasant to eat on the deck overlooking the ocean.
We had one dinner at the hotel and it was excellent. I appreciated that there is the option to dine there but I also appreciated that Zene encouraged us to get out and explore the area. We were never pressured to stay for dinner but we were certainly happy that we did, as the food was terrific.
A couple of things just worth noting. The drive to the property is 2 miles up a very rough road - you absolutely need a 4x4 to make the trip safely. Because the drive is a bit intense, we tried to minimize our trips off the property (also it's so enjoyable there that we were unmotivated to leave). Additionally, there is wildlife up on the mountainside. We saw monkeys, large bugs, toads, frogs, etc. We found it fun and exciting but if you are looking to avoid nature, then it might not be the ideal location.
This is an amazing little gem. We hope we can make it back again.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Cristal Azul is the perfect destination for those looking to step off the beaten path and experience what Costa Rica was like before the world arrived. A totally private property with no public access, guests enjoy 180’ panoramic ocean views and the ultimate in barefoot luxury in a rustic setting. Prepare to unplug, unwind, and get lost in paradise! Great times are had here and memories of a lifetime are created! Four cozy "cabinas" guarantee there is never a crowd; each is equipped with AC, ceiling fans, screened doors that let in the ocean breeze and sound of the surf below, hot water, outdoor garden showers, fine linens, Raw Botanicals organic bath products, and the most impressive views in the area. An oversized, open air Rancho provides a luxe “Glamping” experience with an honor bar and billiards table as well as dining and lounge area ample enough for all guests. The vanishing edge pool overlooks six miles of undeveloped beach and provides a front row seat to the most amazing stargazing under the canopy of the Milky Way! A full typical Costa Rican breakfast is served daily and a chef prepares dinner nightly for guests in the Rancho upon demand. The only Costa Rica owned and operated hotel in San Miguel, your hosts also own LocosCocos (#1 Restaurant in area, #1 Beach Bar in Costa Rica; Lonely Planet)which is a guest favorite for sunset dinners on the beach. It is also a great place to spend the day steps from the surf with cold beers and catch of the fresh fish and seafood ready at your beck and call! 4WD and love adventure required too reach this area! Reservations required-gated entrance for guests only. For best rates, book direct! ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Travelocity, Expedia, Hotels.com, Priceline, Orbitz, Agoda, Hotwire, Booking.com and Cheap Tickets so you can book your Cristal Azul reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Cristal Azul Hotel Playa San Miguel
- Cristal Azul Costa Rica/Playa San Miguel