“Best Steaks Ever”

The Royal Oak North Gorley
Dining options: Breakfast, Lunch, Late Night, Reservations
Description: The Royal Oak, Ringwood Road, North Gorley Once a Royal Hunting Lodge, the Royal Oak is a delightful 17th Century Inn, near Fordingbridge, nestled in the heart of the New Forest. The Royal Oak sits in the picturesque village of North Gorley, amongst its grazing donkeys and ponies, opposite the village duck pond. It is renowned by locals and visitors alike, for serving high quality, classic pub food, cask ales and a warm hospitality. The Royal Oak boasts many outstanding facilities, such as a beautiful beer garden and a cosy coffee lounge with leather sofas. Idyllic, picturesque location with direct access to fantastic forest walks and cycle routes!
Verwood
“Best Steaks Ever”
Reviewed June 23, 2013

Visited this venue for the second time and still the same high standard of food. Very quiet due to the awful weather but staff were very friendly and helpful. The only criticism (if it can be called that) was that apart from ice cream, all the desserts were hot but I asked if the had any sorbet and my wish was granted. Menu limited due to a complete refresh which is happening in a couple of weeks. Neil ( I think he was restaurant manager) was very informative about the new menu and we will definitely be trying it. It sounds brilliant. Staff were very friendly ( also Richard) so I would thoroughly recommend a visit.

Poole, United Kingdom
“Even Dick turpin wore a mask”
Reviewed June 9, 2013

Decided to have a run out to the new forest, and have a sunday lunch, Alas we happened along the Royal Oak, Looks lovely from outside, and it does look nice inside, Thought the roast beef was a tad pricey at £12.95, but thought we would give it a go. When it arrived on cold plates, it looked just like a school dinner, the whole meal was very over seasoned with pepper and that was all you could taste, the excuse of roast potatoes where deep fried and as hard as hells gates, the miniscule amount of veg was cooked to death. We left most of it fearing a hefty dentists bill if we attempted the spuds, we where offered a free desert by way of compensation, but did not fancy the cheesecake or rice pudding. Wish we had kept driving past.

1 Thank Poole2
Ringwood, United Kingdom
“Lovely Family Pub/Restaurant”
Reviewed June 7, 2013

Lovely reception on arrival from the staff. Ordered drinks and took menus out into the garden to catch the last of the sun. Wonderful play area for children. Drinks were brought out to us and our orders were taken - Slow cooked belly pork and 2 x Fish & Chips. What was refreshing was we were told not to rush but to take our time and enjoy the evening - so that's what we did :-) Our food arrived about 5 minutes after we took or table, beautifully presented and piping hot. The belly pork just fell apart and my fish and three times cooked chips were perfectly cooked. So relaxed - lovely food and wine - a perfect evening and will be returning.

Visited June 2013
Fordingbridge, United Kingdom
“Bad service and poor attitude.”
Reviewed June 6, 2013

I have had three meals at this pub. The first was a few weeks ago when a friend and I went for lunch and we were quite impressed. A couple of nights later my husband and I booked for dinner. Head waiter pleasant but my main course choice was 'off' despite the early hour. Second choice was the same meal I had had for lunch previously - and we waited and waited and waited. Eventually it arrived with many apologies. Today we called in for lunch, ordered two very basic meals (just main courses) and again waited and waited until finally my husband went to see what the delay was. Shortly after the young man behind the bar slapped my meal down on the table, with no word about our wait, and went. I then found cellophane in the meal, which was only luke warm and had obviously not been micro-waved for long enough......... I took it back and said I wanted another immediately, and hot! Again waited and waited. My husband's lunch was getting cold by this time but after another five minutes the barman appeared again, with my lunch which he slammed down on the table. He said 'sorry for the delay' sounding anything but sorry and when I said it would be the last time we came to their pub, just glared. If he's the manager then I think it's time they got a new one.

1 Thank Diana R
Bournemouth, United Kingdom
“Very disappointed with food and service”
Reviewed June 1, 2013

We phoned a booked a table for 3, arrived for a early meal at 6pm. The menu very basic but found something that we all liked, as you are eating in the pub rather than a restaurant area we weren't sure if we ordered at the bar or if it was waiter service. After 25 minutes our order was taken. It took nearly 45 minutes to have our meal served by the rudest person which I can only presume was the manager. Plates just thrown onto the table and nothing said!! One of our party had the Dover Sole with prawns. Well when it came I had to laugh as it was served on a large black wall tile, surely they could have afforded a slate tile. We eat out a couple of times a week and I must say that the food and service was the worst I can remember. It's a shame because its a great location. Time for a new manager and a course on customer service for the other staff.

6 Thank Colin P