“Good food and lovely location”
Review of The George

The George
Cuisines: Bar, British, Pub
Good for: Scenic view, Bar scene, Romantic, Special occasions, Large groups, Local cuisine, Kids, Families with children
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Brunch, Free Off-Street Parking, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
London, United Kingdom
“Good food and lovely location”
Reviewed August 14, 2013

I ate here on a friday night with my girlfriend.
The food and service were very good and I particularly enjoyed the apple pie with toffee ice cream for dessert.
I enjoyed the location with the views over the river and it was easy enough to find despited the tight turn into the parking from the road.

My only complaint would be the location of our table. We were put on a table by the entrance/exit to the terrace and we had to put up with people constantly walking past our table and staring at our meals. It was difficult to relax and I was bumped into on a few occasions. We did ask if they would shut the doors as it was also cold but the waitress said the best she could do would be to shut one of the double doors.
It didn't ruin the meal but it stopped it from being something nicer and perhaps the management can review their table locations.

• Visited August 2013

common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Cosy venue by the river.”
Reviewed August 6, 2013 via mobile

Visited here last week when we wanted to eat out. Took it on recommendation from staff at a place we stayed at nearby. We did not make a reservation but the staff were very accommodating and service was great. The menu was nicely varied - included numerous styles - food arrived hot, beautifully cooked and presented. I felt it was very good value for money altogether, and the decor and views of the river made it all the more so. Will certainly visit again next time we pass that way.

Bournemouth, United Kingdom
“Dreadful”
Reviewed July 26, 2013

Dreadful

We visited the George at Fordingbridge pub yesterday, and it was an extremely poor experience. If you want to go somewhere that is grubby, have to wait aged to get served a drink and then are served up unbelievable poor quality food then this is the place to go.

Complain politely to the management, don’t bother they do not care and actually the most entertaining part of the visit was to watch the female manager to whom we had just complained about the dreadful quality of the food, which apparently the chef felt was exactly how it should be served have a huge row with him in the kitchen!! If the owners of this pub are reading this review, it is seriously time to review your team and quality delivered in what could be a great eating place overlooking a pretty river front position. I have firstly not had such dire food in a long while in England, secondly experienced a manager who totally lacked any customer service skill and could not give a hoot and thirdly felt so ripped off.

One conciliatory point, your lady young waitress who I originally complained too had far more customer service skills that the manageress and chef

3 Thank James D
Lyndhurst, United Kingdom
“Lunch”
Reviewed July 22, 2013

Good food and service.
Wanted to sit outside but it was too hot without parasols at the tables.
This was my oonly complaint

Derry Hill
“Good food, friendly staff, excellent location”
Reviewed July 22, 2013

This was our second visit to this great establishment, having sampled it first a year ago for lunch; on this occasion, it was a full test drive over dinner.

We were seated quickly by our friendly waitress, who was only too pleased to accomodate our seating preference and orientation: we wanted to be able to admire the view across the river. On that point, this pub enjoys a prime location alongside a bridge (after which the town is named) on a most beautiful part of the river Avon.

The menu offers a broad range that should suit most tastes. Well cooked, nicely presented and, without feeling hurried, order to table time was most prompt. We both ordered sirloin steak and, whilst my partner's was soft and succulent, mine was slightly tough and fatty. When asked about our meal, I commented to the waitress that, whilst not bad enough to send back, the steak was definitely not up to par. Without a quibble, the cost of my meal did not appear on the bill.

I cannot fault the food and feel that my steak was just a minor abberation in an otherwise excellent meal. We look forward to our next visit to this great place.

• Visited June 2013