“The local pub.”

Cuisines: British, Pub
Good for: Local cuisine
Dining options: Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Description: 16th century inn serving well cooked local produce with flair,dedicated to the use of locally sourced & sustainable ingredients . The pub is open from 12 noon daily until 10pm later at weekends
London, United Kingdom
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“The local pub.”
Reviewed September 24, 2012

We enjoyed an excellent meal. The menu offered a good choice and the food was well cooked and tasty. There were a lot of customers, mostly local, who obviously use this as their local. Service was good and staff very friendly and eager to please.

Visited August 2012

Huddersfield, England, United Kingdom
“The best restaurant we found in the area”
Reviewed September 11, 2012

We have now eaten at Brooklands 4 or 5 times, in the evening and at lunchtime. We have found it to be very consistent. The staff are always pleasant and helpful and service is good. The menu is a good mix of old favourites and something a bit different. Food quality has always been good. Brooklands is one we go back to.

• Visited April 2012
England
“Not as good as last year.”
Reviewed September 10, 2012

This is the second time we have eaten here we went for our wedding anniversary last year and enjoyed it so decided to repeat the experience,

However this time it didn't live up to our expectations. There wasn't anything wrong with the food is was just disappointing.

The potted shrimps a favourite of mine had barely any butter in which made for very dry toast and my main the seafood chowder was tasteless. I could see leeks and different fish in it but it was completely bland.The menu had specified crusty bread so I was expecting big chunks but instead got small slices of a soft bread. My husband had the pigeon breast to start which rather than being on a plate like last year was bizarrely served in a small dish making it very difficult to cut it. He followed on with the chump of lamb which was very tasty but too overdone for his liking. Having got used over the last few years to lamb being served pink he didnt think to specify he wanted it that way.

I didnt fare any better with dessert my first choice of raspberry cheesecake being unavailable. The waitress came out to offer me cherry instead which I accepted. To be honest I couldn't tell what fruit it was it was like a layer of dried jam of some fruit variety! My husband did much better with his choice of Eton Mess which he pronounced delicious.

We decided to skip coffee as had already been there a long time for a 2 course meal in a restaurant that wasn't busy.

1 Thank Zemmie
Rye, United Kingdom
“What a let down- how much for a smile ?”
Reviewed August 24, 2012

Arrive at 8.50pm which is 10 minutes before they stop taking orders
I sort of new by the lack of welcome thAt we should have cut and run then but in this area there's not too many other places to go anyway.
We were told the good news wAs they could feed us but 3 of the items on the small menu were off but we still persisted And wandered into a nice looking restaurant. My wine choice was the nz cab Sav which was particularly good my locL sausage fries and bap badly disappointed but my wife chose well with her belly pork selection
We shared a baked Camembert to start which wAs pleasant enough but as a starter to share at £13 was only ok
If the server had been up for it the whole experience would have been lifted and the focus taken off the dishes frankly it failed to be a £60 + tip meal experience
They can only live off a good reputation for so long and the clocks ticking.

1 Thank teddybaxter
Maidstone
“Service Standard Slipping?”
Reviewed July 26, 2012

We recently made a return visit to this pub/restaurant on a mid-week evening. Arriving around 6.30pm when they start to take food orders we were one of the first to place one. The establishment gradually gained customers until it was moderately busy, but it was never crowded, however it took 50 minutes for our basic cold starter to arrive. Two customers on an adjacent table who had also ordered a similar starter rightly grew very agitated during this period and having been served left without continuing their meal. We hung on for the main courses, that were very nice but again took time to arrive. In all some 2hrs 30 minutes had elapsed before we had completed our two course meal. OK, we were not in a hurry, but it was not that busy so the reason for the extended service was not apparent. The food was good, and the staff were very pleasant but at the level this establishment operates slicker service should be a priority. We will go again but any more extended meals will make us slightly wary that they are sadly appearing to be taking their eye of the ball.

• Visited July 2012