“Very nice!”

Cuisines: European, Contemporary, British
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Reviewed July 22, 2013

Not the most comfortable restaurant for such a quality hotel but food was excellent and beautifully presented. Staff were polite and helpful at all times. It would have been nice to be able to dine out on the terrace both at breakfast and at night as the weather was so good so maybe the management could look into this as an option for the future?

Reviewed June 16, 2013

Arrived for a weekend break only to be told on day of arrival that all treatments were fully booked. The treatment I wanted was after check-out time the following day. Shame you're not pre warned so you can book treatments I early - having a relaxing treatment before jumping back in the car for 3 hours will unwind all that relaxation! The food was very good. The service not so. Like other reviews, the staff seemed stressed and far too many staff we're wasting journeys - the amount of staff walking back into the kitchen empty handed was terrible, you would think they would grab a few empty plates along the way. After being seated we waited 15 minutes to be seen for a drink. We thought we better order while we have the staff attention. The food came up in literally 5 minutes but no bread, olives or water that was ordered. I felt sorry for the waitress, I just think maybe they're overworked & need organising better by the manager. In the spa area the new towels are mixed on a shelf with customer towels in use. A better system needs to be in place for this. Overall I would come back, but pre book treatments before arrival

1  Thank Post2Gary
Reviewed May 24, 2013

Dinners on the whole were ok. Service is very hassled, staff look massively stressed out and actively avoid eye contact. Some food dishes are weird - scotch egg terrine not good. Fish was good. Pudding was good.
Breakfast is a total cattle market with people shoving and jostling each other near the hot food counter which was cramped and had too many hands on too many lids - yuck. Overall alright. Bring your ear plugs very raucous with lots of females chatting.

Reviewed May 19, 2013

My friends and i went there for a birthday meal, it was a Sat night and we had booked a table for five 3 weeks peviously. When we got there they couldnt find our reservation and explained they didnt usually reserve bookings on a Sat night as the residents staying at the spa would have preference and it would be busy. Having said that they found us a table and we had a 2 hour time slot ( no pressure then..lol)
The waiting staff were not very experienced and quite young, there were lots of glasses that we were'nt using that kind of cluttered up the table, they got the drinks order muddled a couple of times. my starter was lovely but i do feel that some of the courses were a bit over priced.
when i got my main course it wasnt hot just warm and it wasnt as 'Supreme' as i expected the chicken to be,
All in all i would'nt eat there again even if they had'nt muddled the table booking up. I think i would drive that little bit further to 'Milsoms' instead
P.s Bar staff were very good and helpful :)

Reviewed May 6, 2013

The life house is set in beautiful grounds and the spa and hotel are well designed and spotless. Sadly, this fantastic facility it completely let down by a combination of terrible service which is excaserbated by a lack of management in all cafe and restaurant areas. On our first afternoon we had pre-booked a champagne afternoon tea, which came as a surprise to the teenage waiting staff even though it had been booked or over a month. When the food had been brought over to our table we were assured that the champagne and tea would follow shortly. After waiting 10 mins I had to go to the bar to ask for it. I was again reassured it would be brought out immediately. After another 10 min I had to ask yet again, needless to say on the THIRD time I had to go in and ask, my blood pressure was through the roof ( not ideal on a spa break!). The champagne was then brought to our table by a monosyllabic teenager. We then had to go through the same process to get a cup of tea. The treatments in the spa were fine and spa staff polite and efficient, but even the spa reception was understaffed with one person in the afternoon manning both reception and shop leaving a collection of disgruntled guests waiting to check in for appointments. Service in the restaurant in the evening was fine but we were told on sitting at our table that we were lucky to have two hours for us to have our meal as they were so busy, not something we needed to know! We decided to move to the bar after desert for cheese and port and our waiter assured us that would be fine. After half an hour no cheese or port, we alerted the restaurant manager who said the staff were confused as we had moved to the bar and that the bar did not have a bottle of port up from stores. Again we waited another half hour for the port, this time the manager did apologise and remove from the bill. The next day again there were. No staff at the bar, and when another guest went to get someone we still waited another 10 mins. I even sat with my coffee in the bar area and heard one teenage staff member tell the other they were working bar and the other to reply they didn't want to, so no-one covered it for 30mins. WHERE were the managers!!.
Such a fantastic facility, so totally let down by poor management. We are both regular spa visitors but have no desire to return to the life house. We will not be recommending it either.

2  Thank Samantha D