“Poor service, unorganised spa”
Review of Lifehouse Spa

Lifehouse Spa
Staines, United Kingdom
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 4 helpful votes
“Poor service, unorganised spa”
Reviewed March 30, 2013

Visited here with my friends for the weekend and although we all had a lovely weekend together we felt the service we received from the staff and the general organisation of our stay was very poor. We had reserved 4 appointments for the spa and arrived there to be told there was only 2 for us....despite explaining we had called to book and also had email proof we were told they could only fit in 2 appointments - useless as there was 4 of us and no compensation even offered! Spa area and pool is nice but I've been to better. We got a deal through Secret Escapes but I wouldn't pay full price for this place. Even the staff at breakfast were rude when all of the buffet trays were empty and we notified them. 5 star prices for perhaps a 2/3 star experience in my opinion.

London, United Kingdom
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Spa 2 day trip”
Reviewed March 29, 2013

Loved the sauna and steam. Exactly what I needed.

Didn't fancy treatments so sauna and steam was just perfect for me

1 Thank Rachel S
West Sussex
5 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 23 helpful votes
“put ‘spa’ before ‘hotel’ and it all makes more sense!”
Reviewed March 26, 2013

This was a last minute booking. A shame that the ‘deal’ price went up within 4 hours of my initial enquiry. That seemed a little ‘sharp’ to me.

Reception is really really uninspiring. When we arrived we realised we were part of a very commercial spa institution. Once we put on the bath robe we would be ‘treatment machine’.To be fair, it calls itself a ‘SPA’ first before hotel and that is what it is. There are no relationships here – you are just someone in a robe who has a treatment booking. It feels as if the population is very ‘transient’.

The staff are hard working and pleasant but no one really stands out. No one tries to generate a relationship. The first name I learned was my beautician, Roxanne, and she was delightful. My mother’s treatments were ‘obscenely relaxing’. Clearly they do the treatment side very well. We both felt that the therapy providers were very professional and took their job seriously.

Room functional, utilitarian and bland. Beds comfortable, if a bit hard. One tiny waste bin, not enough hanging space for 2 but wall-hooks good! ONE hot chocolate sachet (clearly room policy!), no flannel, enough toiletries for one person for one night. Bring your own conditioner if you generally need it.

The hotel has wall-to wall slippers and bath robes – you don’t need to worry about losing yours as you can pick up another one virtually anywhere. The ‘bathrobe culture’ was a little bizarre – almost everyone wearing them all the time – too much flesh at breakfast in my opinion. It does make the place even more homogenised. We reached a new ‘bath robe low’ when i visited the gym and saw and man in a robe on the cross-trainer. Honestly!

Gardens look lovely – but is is covered in snow here! In the summer i think it would be quite nice. Not sure that it would make up for the institutionalised design of the modern areas (including the planting). It is like a hospital.

Gym a little disappointing: free weights, benches, gymballs and pulley systems but no fixed resistance equipment. 4 treadmills, 2 cross-trainers/arcs, 1 rower, 4 bikes. They CV equipment had integrated TV’s but most had very poor reception. An uninspiring area with lots of loose/specialist equipment but no staff to show you how to use it or to check that all the spa-weekenders weren’t about to kill themselves with it. I did watch a fitness class – run in this tiny area. It should be a legal requirement for all women to wear appropriate support when in a fitness room.

Pool (18.5m at its longest point) does allow for a ‘lane-swim’ so long as not too many of you wanted to do so and the recreational swimmers don’t drift. Steam rooms/jaccuzzi’s /plunge pools etc were all very good. The ‘salt inhalation room’ did wonders for my blocked sinuses.

Breakfast absolutely fine. Dining area is not very inspiring but the hot food was ‘clean’ and un-greasy and there was a selection to keep everyone happy. Really enjoyed this.
Supper: good service and really nice food. We only ate in for one night as that was part of the deal. Not sure i would want to have paid the prices allocated otherwise....eventhough it WAS good food.

Locality: Colchester ok. NOTE – museums and galleries closed on a Monday! . Didn’t do the zoo but would have if could. Otherwise, not an area I would rush back to. Frinton gorgeous in the summer (take a wind break). Go to cafe19 on the high street.
ON THE WHOLE, positives outweighed the negatives. This place is a state-of-mind. If all you want is Spa treatments and smoothies, this is the place for you. If you want personality and a memorable stay, book a HOTEL.

London, United Kingdom
23 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 24 helpful votes
“Relaxed day out of London”
Reviewed March 26, 2013

If you need to recharge your batteries jump on a train to Thorpe and spend a day or two relaxing in the spa.
good food; close to London, lovely setting and the staff is very friendly and helpful.
definitely going back.

Essex
18 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 43 helpful votes
“Lovely Spa day - IF YOU CAN EVER GET THROUGH ON PHONE! And are prepareed to pay more than is advertised on internet.”
Reviewed March 22, 2013

I have used this Spa a coupl of times now. My first experience was lovely (couldnt fault the day at all). Perfect relaxation. But second time i had the most awful massage EVER! But apart from that the day was still great.
I tried recently to book myself and two others in for a Spa day package (massage, glass of bubbly, and two course lunch) Advertised from 59 pounds..... The first day i rang to book, i couldnt get through to th spa bookings so a man took my number and said i would be called back - i didnt hear back that dayat all. The next morning i rang back and the same thing happened - got told i would be called back as a matter of urgency but never did! So i rang that same evening after not hearing and was eventually put through to a rude lady in spa bookings, who didnt even apologise for not calling back, just said they had been busy the past few days. I then enquired what the offer meant for this certain package as it said from 59 pounds and she replied "well what day do you want to go and i will tell you if its 59 or 69 pounds". So i asked what days were for 59 pounds and i would let her know from there? All she could give me was one day at the cheaper rate and that if they were not busy then they may be able to do other days at the 59 pounds price as mentioned on the internet. In the end i decided to go else where with my custome and money. I do believe that they faulse advertise their prices on the internet (which seems to be a common problem and nightmare to actually get through by phone and you cant even book online unless you are wanting to stay overnight)!