I decided to spoil my friend with an overnight stay at Lifehouse for her 40th birthday. Of course because we were staying on a Saturday night there were no offers going for that night, so had to pay full price. OK, I accepted that.....to my suprise, Lifehouse took the full amount off my credit card at the time of booking which I thought was strange, usually organisations take a deposit, or use your card as a gaurantee.
I organised for 2 treatments each and chose them, we arrived into their lovely reception and was told our room was not ready. Staff were very apologetic, and then proceeded to tell us our schedule.....at 7.30pm you will have dinner, then tomorrow at 1.45pm you both will have your first treatment followed by your second treatment. I said, so we will actually be at your spa for nearly 24 hours before we can get our first treatment?? I asked for this to be changed, so they moved our dinner that night forward to 6.45pm and then had to go for a back massage straight after I had eaten a 3 course dinner! It was the fact, that I was never told they were to do this at time of booking, otherwise I would never have booked and at least we could have had more of a choice.
Good points; Food was absolutely superb!! Could not fault the food at all, it was yummy!
The accommodation was clean, contemporary, comfortable, but stifling hot if you are in the top rooms which we were....and no air conditioning of any description!! Had to keep the door open at night to let some air in! If you were in lower ground rooms, you could not do this. Privacy was an issue in the ground floor rooms, as there was no netting curtains just thermal drapes, accidently saw clients half dressed as we walked through the grounds!
Grounds were absolutely superb, free use of bicycles which was good, but again, the maintenance of these bikes left alot to be desired, I had tried 3 different bikes and all the seats swung around......
Treatments were very good, the best pedicure I have ever had, but massage finished earlier than it should have, and did not enjoy lying down on a full stomach! Spa rooms and pools etc, were brilliant!
All, and all, mixed feelings about this spa, I think some things they have got spot on, and it is quite serene and tranquil...staff were excellent and helpful, but I think as a new spa, they still need to tweek a few things...perhaps teething problems, maybe add air-conditioning????
Not sure if I would spend the kind of money I spent for 1 night there again, I actually could have stayed at the Ritz for the same amount of money!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Lifehouse Spa & Hotel, located in Thorpe-le-Soken, Essex, is a contemporary lifestyle spa. Only 80 minutes from London by train and set in 130 acres of grounds, Lifehouse Spa & Hotel will help you revitalise and relax in beautiful surroundings. With a selection of day and residential packages to choose from, guests can indulge in a day of pampering, or truly get away from it all with an overnight stay. With 89 bedrooms, 35 treatment rooms, a gym, exercise studio, swimming pool, sauna & steam room, thermal spa area with salt-inhalation room, relaxation area, manicure and pedicure stations,and 12 acres of listed gardens, you can do as much or as little as you like! ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Hotels.com, Priceline, Travelocity and Booking.com so you can book your Lifehouse Hotel & Spa reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Lifehouse Country Hotel Thorpe Le Soken
- Lifehouse Hotel & Spa Thorpe Le Soken, Essex