“Great, but there were some drawbacks!” 3 of 5 bubbles
Review of Lifehouse Hotel & Spa

Lifehouse Hotel & Spa
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Thorpe le Soken
London, United Kingdom
“Great, but there were some drawbacks!”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 22, 2011

I decided to spoil my friend with an overnight stay at Lifehouse for her 40th birthday. Of course because we were staying on a Saturday night there were no offers going for that night, so had to pay full price. OK, I accepted that.....to my suprise, Lifehouse took the full amount off my credit card at the time of booking which I thought was strange, usually organisations take a deposit, or use your card as a gaurantee.

I organised for 2 treatments each and chose them, we arrived into their lovely reception and was told our room was not ready. Staff were very apologetic, and then proceeded to tell us our schedule.....at 7.30pm you will have dinner, then tomorrow at 1.45pm you both will have your first treatment followed by your second treatment. I said, so we will actually be at your spa for nearly 24 hours before we can get our first treatment?? I asked for this to be changed, so they moved our dinner that night forward to 6.45pm and then had to go for a back massage straight after I had eaten a 3 course dinner! It was the fact, that I was never told they were to do this at time of booking, otherwise I would never have booked and at least we could have had more of a choice.

Good points; Food was absolutely superb!! Could not fault the food at all, it was yummy!
The accommodation was clean, contemporary, comfortable, but stifling hot if you are in the top rooms which we were....and no air conditioning of any description!! Had to keep the door open at night to let some air in! If you were in lower ground rooms, you could not do this. Privacy was an issue in the ground floor rooms, as there was no netting curtains just thermal drapes, accidently saw clients half dressed as we walked through the grounds!
Grounds were absolutely superb, free use of bicycles which was good, but again, the maintenance of these bikes left alot to be desired, I had tried 3 different bikes and all the seats swung around......
Treatments were very good, the best pedicure I have ever had, but massage finished earlier than it should have, and did not enjoy lying down on a full stomach! Spa rooms and pools etc, were brilliant!

All, and all, mixed feelings about this spa, I think some things they have got spot on, and it is quite serene and tranquil...staff were excellent and helpful, but I think as a new spa, they still need to tweek a few things...perhaps teething problems, maybe add air-conditioning????

Not sure if I would spend the kind of money I spent for 1 night there again, I actually could have stayed at the Ritz for the same amount of money!

• Stayed June 2011, traveled with friends
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
4 Thank Lynette02
LifehouseSpaEssex, Lifehouse Marketing Team at Lifehouse Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, July 1, 2011
Many thanks for your review on Lifehouse, as a new spa we really do appreciate all your comments and feedback.

Many thanks once again.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (389)
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 21, 2011

Stayed for 2 nights with friends - absolutely loved the food -breakfast, lunch and dinner all faultless. Restaurant decor is a cross between IKEA and a motorway service station, with hard chairs and poorly designed booth style seats (too deep to sit back comfortably and the long seat cushion tries to come with you when you get up AND it shakes you when people sit down in the neighbouring booth).
Pool is small and an odd shape and the dark grey tiling on the walls and floor combined with uninspiring view and lack of light made me feel as though I was in an underground carpark (in cold war Russia). Jacuzzi, steam room and salt inhalation room were all nice though.
Bedroom was lovely, comfy bed, perfect shower, nice view.
Treatments were overpriced and nothing special, no consistency across the therapists - the 4 of us all had 'house' facials and massages but on comparing notes afterwards found great variety in the detail!
Still, nice to get away with friends and enjoy delicious food, but wouldn't choose to come here again.

• Stayed June 2011
      Location
      Rooms
1 Thank Amandalikeynolikey

Berkhamsted, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 20, 2011

We really could not have asked for more, as I am a Therapist it would have seemed like a bus mans holiday, usually I hate going to anywhere remotely connected to my work,but this was completely different, I relaxed, I was pampered and cosseted from the word go, I live literally 10 minutes form a very famous spa, but I traveled for 3 hours i the Friday traffic to get to Lifehouse, as I handed my car keys over to Simon and was shown through to dinner with my daughter who had arrived earlier by train and was collected from the station , a large Campari and FRESH orange juice was handed to me.....the 3 hours seemed like someone else had just driven it, , the Lifehouse experience started.......with dinner on board a shower and a good nights sleep Saturday morning arrived.....the stress was massaged away, the meditation with Moon was cathartic, the facial, the Oriental Bathing Experience...the Footlogix Pedicure, the food , the service, the staff were all excellent. As a therapist I did not feel as though I had come away on a training trip but a real chilled out weekend with great treatments. My only regret; was that I was not Samantha form Bewitched and couldn't twitch my nose to get me home o Sunday evening to my own bed!!! YOU MUST GO

• Stayed June 2011, traveled with family
3 Thank HairBeautyandNails

Cambridge, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 20, 2011

Very modern and clean spa hotel. The staff were all really helpful and friendly.

We were taken to our room, which we had paid to upgrade, the rooms are based on a 'good, best and great' rating. We were told our room was a 'good' which confused us a little as we assumed this was the lowest rating and we'd paid for an upgrade. We go to the room, which was lovely but only had a double bed, we were told the upgrade was for the view, as we were not bothered about the view, we were taken to another room with a huge bed!

The hotel is sat in 13 acres of beautiful grounds, which we would have explored had it not been raining.

Food was beautiful, we had the three courses for dinner and a full English for breakfast.

The whole feel of the place is relax, everyone in their dressing gowns.

We had a house massage each, which was lovely, we then sat in the relaxation area in massage chairs. The jacuzzi was one of our favourite bits, we spent a while in there. There are 3 sauna/steam rooms.

The only down side was that we couldn't get in for any other treatments (we arrived at 4pm and left at 12pm the next day) I'd suggest that the Lifehouse have more therapists on, this may cost more in day to day wages but I think they'd make more in the long run as there were lots of people at reception wanting treatments but couldn't get them.

I will definitely go back, although I would wait for an offer as, as lovely as the place is, I do think it is over priced.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled as a couple
2 Thank YorkyTravellerT

Little Bentley
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 17, 2011

Have just enjoyed one night classic stay at Lifehouse. Partner had been when they first opened and experienced many teething problems other than food whhich was amazing. Pleased to report all now seems well and the food was truly outstanding. Lovely room and grounds are beautiful. Fabulous massage and enjoyed spa. Staff all very helpful and cheerful.

• Stayed June 2011
      Location
      Rooms

home
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 17, 2011

I stayed at Lifehouse with my daughter,we did'nt know what to expect,but WOW it was fantastic ,there was a slight hiccup as our booking had been mislaid but this was quickly sorted our by Sally Guest Liason who upgrated us to one of the Best room where was had fantastic views,comfy beds,fluffy towels and so much more.The treatments were wonderful especially the OBE,the classes were fun and the food was to die for.We were made to feel special from the time we arrived until the time we unfortunetly had to leave.I am returning with my husband in August ,its very couple friendly and I can't wait.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled with family

Ascot, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 16, 2011

Just spent two blissfull days and nights at this wonderful spa. great experience from beginning to end. Beautiful tranquil surroundings,extremely knowledgeable and friendly staff. many went out of their way to be helpful.Fantastic choice of treatments,excellent gym facilities and choice of classes.Lovely room,comfortable beds,large fluffy towels, transport to and from train station provided.
Great restaurant as well.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled with friends

Swan Hotel & Spa Lavenham
The Kingscliff Hotel
The Kingscliff Hotel
#1 of 1 in Holland-on-Sea

Been to Lifehouse Hotel & Spa? Share your experiences!