“Amazing. Loved it”

Lifehouse Hotel & Spa
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Thorpe le Soken
Reviewed June 15, 2011

My friends & I stayed here to celebrate a big birthday in our group, & from start to finish, our stay here was lovely. The staff were fantastic, & nothing was too much bother. It seemed as though everything had been thought of in terms of the facilities in the hotel, up to & including scented water in the spa showers!

My treatment was wonderful, though I did get a slight sense that the therapist was in a rush. My friends & I were booked for the same treatments at the same time, & I came out before some of the people that went in before me. However I did feel thoroughly relaxed after my massage.

The meal that we had at the spa was fantastic, & the food imaginative & well considered. My friends & I had organised a balloon & cake to be in the restaurant as a little surprise for our birthday girl, & this seems to be no trouble for the staff.
HOWEVER ... our meal in the restaurant seemed to take an AGE in arriving, & in total we were in the restaurant for almost 3 1/2 hours waiting for our meals. We did mention this to the guest liaison member afterwards who was very polite, but didn't seem to really do anything, & didn't offer a free drink or some money off our bill which we may would have expected elsewhere. The fact that everything else at Lifehouse was so perfect made this a rather glaring issue. However this would not stop me from going back...I'll just wait until they have some special offers on before I book as it's really rather pricey

Stayed: May 2011, traveled with friends
Write a ReviewReviews (1,767)

Reviewed June 11, 2011

We Went on a 2 for 1 offer of 3 nights to this recently opened spa hotel. Reception seemed a little stark and chilly but we were soon looked after and shown to our room. Very comfortable twin room and en suite shower room on ground floor with lovely garden/lake view and patio furniture. We had great weather and loved sitting in the deckchairs by the lake watching the ducks and swan. The Oriental Bathing Experience treatment of 2 hours was fantastic and we highly recommend it. The restaurant is light and modern and the food was excellent. Slight negative was that the menu was the same over 3 nights but we still found lots of interesting and delicious meals, all beautifully presented. I especially loved the little chip fryer basket containing chips, although I did not have them of course!! The friday evening barbecue was excellent also, along with the saxophone entertainment. Alyan our waiter was superb. Any concerns were dealt with quickly and efficiently by the spa staff. Can't wait to go back and join in the beginners boot camp agiain. Leisure staff were brilliant.

• Stayed: June 2011, traveled with friends
Reviewed June 9, 2011

I recently stayed at the Lifehouse with my husband as we both needed to de-stress and thought a spa break would do the trick. On arrival we were very impressed with the building, decor and surroundings and our check in was very smooth with the young man who took our luggage to our rooms, giving us plenty of useful information. Decided to break comments down as follows:
Spa treatments: we had booked the Celebration package so had a full body massage, pedicure, facial and head massage - literally top to toe. The Marula massage would normally be £65 each - sadly my therapist gave me more of a rub than a massage and the very strange and unnecessary use of the maracas being shaken over my body was rather odd. My husband experienced the same thing with the addition of crystals - none of these are mentioned in the literature! If I was paying the full £65 I would not have been overly happy, but it was our first treatment so decided not to make a fuss. The head massage was rather rough and not particularly relaxing, again my husband fared much better as he enjoyed his treatment. The pedicure and facial were very nice and I even bought some of the wonderful Babor products on the back of the facial therapist's very pleasant soft sell approach. All in all, if the Spa wishes to become known for it's treatments - and I guess that is where the money is - they need to both improve the standard of the treatments and explain them fully in the literature.
Food: breakfast - amazing! Very good quality food and nice to see pancakes on the hot menu as well as the traditonal full english option. Lunch - not bad, again good quality food, but menu starts to get a little complicated and with unusual offerings, but very tasty and recommend the apple cinnamon scones with clotted cream and jam! Now dinner - menu becomes incredibly fancy and obviously food is prepared by an accomplished chef. Quality of the food remains high, but even I found it difficult to choose from the menu and would definitely restrict who I would recommend the spa to sadly. I would suggest they have an alternative menu with a more regular offering including some healthy options. I am sure this fancy menu is a signature of the spa, but may deter people from returning. The dining area is decorated very nicely, but the seats are not at all comfortable and are not condusive to staying and enjoying a leisurely dinner!
Rooms: we paid an upgrade to the middle level room - all very nicely decorated, but no air conditioning and we were rather hot during the night. Shower very nice, but temperature limited to 38 degrees and would have liked it a little hotter. Liked the remote control option to turn the shower on a great feature though!
Staff: we found everyone friendly and helpful. When my husband realised he had forgotten to bring his razor, they immediately found one for him at no cost. My only comment would be that despite staying 2 nights when the hotel was not at full capacity, the staff did show even a flicker of recognition even after our 6th visit to the dining area. Would have appreciated a bit more of a personality from the staff - the formality is good, but felt a bit impersonal.
Pool area: spa and pool area all looks very nice and is kept clean. The showers in the pool area had 3 options and I note some people commented on this site that they were scented, but did not experience this plus the heads were already looking quite furred up and the water pressure was very poor. For a relatively new spa, it is important to keep the facilities up to standard. We also found the walk along the corridor from the changing rooms to the pool area a bit odd!
Overall: a lovely place to come and relax, but if the treatment is not up to scatch - complain! They are charging full whack for their treatments so unless you are on a package this could end up being more stressful as you see your money being wasted! Food wise - be aware it does get fancy as the day progresses and the menu was not changed while we were there. Would like them to put some photos of the rooms on their website - it may make you choose to upgrade which can only be good for the Lifehouse. Hopefully these are all just teething problems and ultimatley they can tweak certain areas to enhance their guest's experience.

4  Thank Jackstar1
Reviewed June 7, 2011

My husband and I booked this as part of a Groupon deal for our wedding anniversary. We were extremely lucky as we paid £175 for both of us to stay in a good room for one night. This price included a three course meal in their restaurant. Full use of the spa and all of their classes, breakfast and a two course lunch in their restaurant. I'm going to have to break this down so it makes sense:

Room:
The rooms are clean, bright, fresh, mainly have good views, have extremely posh tea and coffee in each one, have a funky modern shower (no bath in ours) and were most definitely lovely. However, there is no air-con system or obvious way to control the temperature. Unfortunately I didn't get very much sleep at all because it was so hot and the window only opened a little way. Other than this, the room was perfectly comfortable.

Food:
Oh. My. God. The food is to die for. Be warned however, if you are all about quantity rather than quality, you may be disappointed. The dishes are exquisitely prepared and presented and taste incredible but there is not a lot of it. You will find though, that you won't need a lot as the food is quite rich and flavoursome. As a little bonus, we were pleasantly surprised that when it came to our buffet breakfast, we had the option of the continental PLUS the cooked breakfast from the menu!

Spa:
Wow. If you want to properly relax, visit the spa. The hydrotub is amazing, the steam rooms are a nice size and there are several different types to choose from. There are two rainshowers with different settings and they are scented differently too. There is a plunge pool that I was far too chicken to use. The swimming pool was a strange shape though so you could only do lengths on one side and probably only a couple people could fit. Shame it closes at 10pm. Would have liked to use it at night as there are large windows which would have allowed the stars to shine through.

Therapies:
As part of our package we received an hour long back massage each. We managed to get a double room and both our therapists were really lovely and friendly. My massage was lovely but was a little on the wimpy side. Was my fault though as she asked me if the pressure was okay and I agreed (she was so nice I didn't want to make her feel awkward)! My husband said that his massage was amazing and neither of us could physically get up afterwards because we were so relaxed.

Other facilities:
Reception was absolute chaos as it was booking in time and all of the girls were absolutely up to their eyeballs. The woman who booked us in was a bit ditsy and we had to prompt her to remember to give us our room key/ tell us our room number/ tell us what to do with our car etc... She was lovely though! Oh yeah, and there is valet parking and random baskets of free apples everywhere!

The Grounds:
Are amazing. They've really come along since some of the photos were posted on here. They were obviously of the grounds when it opened. I'll try and post some of the grounds as they are now. Beautiful.

Room Tip: I think they're all good.
3  Thank leeni-b
Reviewed June 3, 2011

Stunning grounds, delicious food, friendly staff, incredibly clean, brilliant facilities! Some paintwork going on but done as late as possible and even the handy men were friendly and said hello, definately worth staying here!

• Stayed: June 2011
2  Thank Swsc
Reviewed May 31, 2011

We have visited this resort during May holidays and it was really a good experience. The treatments were good and very well maintain resort. The rooms were really big enough and neat and clean. Being a vegetarian we had very limited menu and even though we have specifically told them that we were vegetarian they had not made any prior arrangements.

2  Thank dzi9soft
Reviewed May 25, 2011

Oddly enough, I had a similar experience from (who I believe to be "sally") the same person. The spa looks lovely, but the need for a guest "liason" would indicate that the rest of the staff are not qualified to talk to the paying guests - this strikes me as strange since my experience with this "liason" defied the term hospitality and left me wondering if the resort janitor would have been a better option -would have spoken to me better. I have no idea about the actual resort, since the glacial attitude of the one single person charge with its representation was enough to make me book elsewhere.

Stayed: May 2011
#1 of 17 in Clacton-on-Sea
The Mistley Thorn
The Mistley Thorn
#1 of 1 in Mistley

Been to Lifehouse Hotel & Spa? Share your experiences!