“warm welcome in an old town”
Review of Etxartenea

Etxartenea
We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Monreal
Etxartenea
Ranked #1 of 1 Monreal B&B and Inns
ottawa
“warm welcome in an old town”
Reviewed March 31, 2010

The 32km from Sangüesa to Monreal is a long haul on the slopes of Tajonar and Izco ridges overlooking the Lumbier valley, albeit through a series of charming villages along a path trod by Saint Francis of Assisi seven centuries ago. The hiker and pilgrim enters this little pueblo over a mediaeval stone footbridge.

In 2005 and 2007, I had stayed in a comfortable if Spartan roadside hotel on the outskirts of the village, the Jakue, but when I arrived, I found that it had closed down. As I re-entered Monreal, I reconciled myself to sleeping in the twenty-bed dormitory of the pilgrims’ refuge. Even though I knew that it was a clean and well-kept hostel, I was not excited about trying to sleep through their snores.

On the way up to the church, I saw a casa rural to my right, an 18th century four-storey stone house and knocked on the half-door. One of the owners came down and, through my bad Spanish (I do not think that they speak English, although the website features an English page), I learned that a room with breakfast would be 30€. My very comfortable room with sofa and television, and ensuite bathroom was on the second floor. Extra blankets were available if a guest felt chilly at night in this village in the hills of Navarre .

Dinner is not available, but I was directed to the village’s only eating place, the social centre on top of the parish hall, where I had a plain but nourishing meal for 12€ in the friendly and cheerful company of a group watching a football game on television.

The next morning, the husband of the couple rose at what is to the Spanish an ungodly hour of 7.00 a.m., and prepared me a breakfast of yogurt, toast, fruit and cold meat, along with café con leche. This extra touch is not universally experienced in Spain , but the friendly hospitality which accompanied breakfast was appreciated.

The old church is under reconstruction, but would be worth a look when it is open again.

• Stayed September 2009, traveled solo
2 Thank elmstrasse

Business

Been to Etxartenea? Share your experiences!