My boyfirend and I stayed at The Oceanique in Colva for 2 weeks. I was slightly nervous about Goa as I had never been before but my boyfirend had been to Colva four times before so my thoughts were that it couldn't have been that bad and all in all it wasn't!
We got a taxi from the airport which was much quicker than the First Choice bus. It took 20 mins in the taxi rather than about an hour on the bus and only cost about £5
When we arrived at The Oceanique the staff at reception were great, especially Debbie! Really friendly and welcoming. The room was basic but clean and spacious with a balcony overlooking the very quiet pool (always nice). Rooms are serviced every day to a good standard and everything in the room worked perfectly; A/C, fan, Sat TV, fridge, safe etc.
The pool wasn't huge but a perfect size for the hotel and all it's occupants. It was never busy in the whole 2 weeks of being there and there was always a pool attendent around to get you an umbrella and clean towels. The only thing about the pool is that it does need new sunbeds, the ones we had had seen better days, but, it was no great shame!
We stayed on a B&B basis which was best as the food wasn't great! The breakfast was fine with eggs to order, cereal, toast and basic breakfast items, i.e. sausage, beans etc.
Eating out is cheap which we did on a lunch time and evening. At lunch it would probably cost you £3 for two with drinks and in the evening probably about £6 with drinks for two! Good places to eat are The Tate Sports Bar (5 min walk), Cajis (3 min walk - great steaks!), Silver Spoon (2 min walk - great naans!), Bambooze (10 min walk - good pizza!) and The Pentagon (15 min taxi ride - great seafood!). Don't be worried about the 'Delhi Belly' i'm the worst for worrying and I was fine - just stay clear of ice creams from bicycles! When we arrived everyone raved about Mickeys on the main Colva street, we went one night and never returned it was awful but maybe they were having a bad night! Wouldn't recommend Kentukee just off the beach either; the waiters weren't in a rush to get rid of the cats and dogs from around your feet, not pleasant whilst eating! But whats two bad restaurants when theres an abundance of other great ones!
Another tip! The First Choice excursions are expensive! Go with a taxi driver from outside the hotel and there just as good and save you a fortune! Antonio is good. For £30 we saw the elephants, rode them and washed them (aswell as them washing us in the river!), went to the Cashew factory and the spice plantation with a lunch and drinks! You pay about £30 each with First Choice! The dolphins at Benaulim beach are good too! Every morning at about 8:30 with 'Peles' costs £6 each but of you don't see any you don't pay.
The only complaint I would have is that Colva itself isn't great. Wild dogs, pigs and cows just roaming. It's a bit of a shock when you first get there but after a while you do get used to it and its fine. The notorious smell of fish is about sometimes as well as they dry it in the street but only really in the mornings.
Would I go back yes, it's a place full of character. Go to South Goa its much less developed than the North apparantly. All in all a good holiday; good value, cheap place, nice weather, good activities. Say hi to Toff, Emma, Sophie and Dan at the Tate!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Set amidst of lush green paddy fields, a whiff of sea air, a crafted beach resort, where you are assured to experience hospitality at its best. The Resort is ideal for everybody to have a great time of their life, with south Goa’s most popular white sand beach, the Colva is at a walk able distance of 500mts, offering exciting water sports and oodles of entertainment. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Orbitz, Expedia, Travelocity, Booking.com, Hotels.com, Agoda, Hotwire, Cheap Tickets, Cancelon, HotelQuickly and Evoline ltd so you can book your The Golden Crown Hotel & Spa Colva reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Pearls Oceanique Hotel Colva
- The Golden Crown Hotel & Spa Colva Goa