“Could be so much better”

Hotel Rural Las Calas
Cheshire, England
“Could be so much better”
Reviewed February 7, 2006

The presentation and location of Las Calas are superb. There has been great attention paid to detail with local pottery and artwork displayed throughout. We spent 7 nights here from 28 Jan 2006 and did enjoy our stay with some major exceptions. Magui (manager/owner?) was obviously not born to serve!! I speak good Spanish so I feel I gained a little more than fellow guests, but not particularly graciously.
We had booked a Junior Suite and informed Magui that our daughter was 2 years old. When we arrived the third bed was up a 3m ladder with a low rail on the mezzanine. My daughter shared my twin bed for the first night and then had a camp bed (this was OK), but then we lost the benefit of having paid for extra space as we were unable to use the mezzanine. On the first night our beds were damp (temperatures in February are approx 5 deg at night and 15 deg during the day at this altitude), but we had a sleepy toddler and it was 22:00 so we accepted for the first night. We subsequently discovered that clean linen is kept in an external store and heating is 'rationed' to limited hours make the rooms quite chilly. Every morning we left the radiator thermostats on the highest settings and every evening we returned to find they had been turned down so the room never had chance to warm up. A few guests complained and the heating was turned up occasionally and I have to say that I found it hard to believe the reports it was 'broken' one day. When I pointed out I had a child I was given a supplementary heater. We had hoped to dine there most evenings, but were dissuaded by fellow guests as the dining room was unheated, food tepid and service hasty! We had also seen the waitress with bags of frozen supermarket vegetables. Breakfast was acceptable, but we did see several yogurts between 12 and 16 days beyond their best date.
Room service was provided fairly grudgingly with two thermos flasks being delivered to our room. One with coffee, the other (my request) hot milk. This provided two medium cups plus some spare milk for my daughter so I was disappointed to be charged 8 euros when I settled the bill.
The pool is small and unheated, but I had been assured that swimming would still be possible at this time of year - I suspect the pool can only really be used in high summer.
The geographical location was excellent for the beautiful interior of the island, but the facilities within walking distance of Las Calas were limited.
Magui sent me an e mail offering 7 nights for the price of 6. I have only just realised that I was not given this discount. I will write to her for redress and post any progress on this site. In her defence she did 'give' me a 28 cent stamp to post within Spain!!!
My advice if you stay here is to speak up as soon as you are not happy about something. Also note published prices will have a 5% service charge added (inc those of the mim bar) This place could be excellent with better service. I will be sending this review to [--] too.

• Stayed January 2006
1 Thank eld1969

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (10)
Reviewed January 21, 2006

Booked this accommodation after reading other reviews on this site. Arrived in the centre Gran Canaria and not knowing how to get to the hotel we phoned reception and within 5 minutes Magui (the owner) had arrived with us to carry our bags to the hotel! From then on it was like having your own private butler (not that I would know but I can always dream) as every possible need was catered for with nothing being a problem to Magui. The rooms very spacious, Bathrooms were excellent and the furnishings and decor choosen by Magui. Numerous other touches like the anytime breakfast, internet access, bathrobes and good quality toiletries are in danger of being overlooked, such is the overwhelming impression that your wellbeing is the only consideration to Magui and his staff. Location is first class in the heart of Gran Canaria and the ambiance overall is something else.
There are only 9 rooms at Las Calas. So the peace & quiet is guaranteed.

• Stayed January 2006
3 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed October 22, 2005

This is a beautiful property, but the management don't make the most of what is offered on the website. The bar and library described were not open for the 6 night duration of our stay, also the same food was offered for breakfast every morning. Soundproofing between the rooms is minimal too. could be idyllic, but doesn't get it right!

• Stayed October 2005
5 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Stockholm
Reviewed February 5, 2005

Go to this hotel for the beautifully decorated rooms and the rural location, but don't expect it to be a "get away" from noise and stress. You are almost guaranteed to have problems with reservations, like 100% of the guests who stayed there when we did (three couples). You are most likely to have problems paying the rate confirmed on booking if you don't have a piece of paper to wave at the manager. Paying the bill consequently requires endless phone calls and haggling (as experienced by two out of three couples). In addition to the administrative problems, you will no doubt have every breakfast ruined by the manager admonishing her three dogs, who spend most of their time barking, begging at the table and climbing up on breakfasting guests. Facilities are drastically over-exaggerated: the lounge/bar advertised on the web page did not open at all for the duration of our stay, the gardens were very small, and there was nowhere to get food on late arrival. Another thing to note is that while there is an English version of the web page, you will need Spanish to be able to communicate and solve problems, since staff speak very little English. Maybe we were just unlucky, but I won't be staying here again.

• Stayed January 2005
11 Thank Smulan
Reviewed June 2, 2004

This is the third time that I visit Gran Canaria, and I Think I´ll come back.
Las Calas is a beautiful Manor with big gardens, with views over the mountains and the countryside. I love the walks on horses near it. Fantastic!!!

Reviewed May 31, 2004

Las Calas is a Manor situated in a nice village ideal for relax, and walkings in the Natural Park. There is a good golf Course "Bandama" near the Hotel. I recommend it highly.

Reviewed March 20, 2004

A marvellous House with very nice rooms, in a very quiet place, the ideal place to relax and to kow Gran Canaria

Also consider these accommodations in or near Vega de San Mateo
#6 of 44 in Las Palmas de Gran Canaria
Cantur City Hotel
Cantur City Hotel
#12 of 44 in Las Palmas de Gran Canaria

Been to Hotel Rural Las Calas? Share your experiences!