“Fantastic B&B”

Ranked #3 of 8 Hotels in Albarracin
Valencia, Spain
“Fantastic B&B”
Reviewed March 24, 2013

This hotel could not have been better. Albarracin is amazing, and the views from the hotel are so peaceful and beautiful . This place is the perfect getaway ! Wifi available and free .
Clean spotless, good price confortable rooms ... We will repeat. The breakfast very good and the ppl at the hotel are extremely helpful ! Loooooved it

Room Tip: choose a good room 4 or 6
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank lachiki

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (20)
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed November 27, 2012

This is a late but sincere hotel review for our visit of July 2012. We traveled for almost a month in Spain and visited more than 14 cities. Our choice of lodgings varied greatly, from this little B&B to a 5 star hotel in Barcelona. La Casa del Tio Americano is my home away from home in this magical mountain village. Thanks to DariusKakalia for pushing me to consider an overnight visit!

We booked directly through the hotel's website, where we could look at the various rooms online and specify which one we wanted. We had the lovely #3, with a little balcony overlooking the rose garden and a window facing the valley.

Before arriving, I was a bit nervous about the reservation. Communication by email was excellent but the innkeeper would not take my credit card information! She also did not require any prepayment. What if we arrived and there was no room available? I had the typical North American traveler's doubts. I asked my good friend and Spain expert, BennyMalaga. He explained that La Casa was following traditional Spanish customs and trusting their guests (he was right, as always!).

The hotel asked me for approximate time of arrival in Albarracin. They wanted to make sure someone would be waiting to receive us. We were late and when we arrived, the door was locked and no one seemed to be around. I knocked for a while and then made a telephone call. It turns out the innkeeper was in the garden and didn't hear us knock. She welcomed us warmly and brought us a nice refreshment.

Albarracin is a magical place. Each winding street, every building, every door and even the knocker - they all have a story to tell of Albarracin's Mudejar past. We wandered around that evening, had a delicious dinner in a little restaurant nearby and slept with the windows open that night. Refreshing mountain breeze, even in July! The perfume of roses.

The next morning, we went down for breakfast and were invited to choose between a garden table or one in the cozy living room. My son, ever the gourmand, opted to sit near the buffet table. This was one of the most enjoyable breakfasts we had in our month in Spain! I took notes on my phone to share with TA members. The most special items included:
- local cheese and honey from Albarracin
- quince jelly cubes made from their own quince tree
- ham from nearby Teruel (famous for ham)
- plenty of fresh fruit and bread
- unlimited coffee and juice

I was in heaven! The friendly owners told me about their uncle, the 'tio americano'. He had left Albarracin to make his fortune in South America. When he returned to his homeland, he built La Casa and lived there happily with his family. The building has been modernized very carefully to preserve its original historic integrity.

Parking: there's a new parking area on the far left of the mountain. La Casa is very close to it. Go all the way across town and hairpin right on c/ Los Palacios. Parking is 150 m from hotel.

Must See's: the Museum of Albarracin, the Mudejar castle ruins, the walk along the stone walls of the village.

Room Tip: Book directly on the hotel's website and specify which room you want.
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
4 Thank Gigis_mum
Crewe, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 29, 2012

We took a chance and booked this hotel very much last minute. It was a little difficult to find as the hotel is hidden inside a mountainside town where you have to park the car at the entrance. But once we got our bearings it was only a 2 minute walk from the car park. Angela welcomed us warmly and we were able to choose our room. Room 2 was fabulous and has the most amazing views of the mountains and the other side of the small town.
Although there is no mini bar in the room (this doesn't bother us) there were bowls of sweets and we were given complimentary Cava. There was also fresh fruit available at any time during our stay in the dining room.
As a previous reviewer states this is a B+B place, but as there are many restaurants in easy staggering distance we didn't find this a problem and ate at the place recommended by Angela. Lovely meal.
Our room was traditionally spanish, but with all modern conveniences, extremely clean with lovely toiletries and even slippers for us both.
Very pleased with our stay here and if we are in that part of Spain again we will definitely stay there.

Room Tip: Room 2 has fantastic views and a small balcony.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Annievilla3
Reviewed October 10, 2012

This is a difficult hotel to rate because this is more a B&B than a hotel (especially after my wife and I have been staying in a number of large hotels over the preceding 2 weeks). First, Albarracin is a 'must see' place...terrific! Second, the few staff at Tio Americano were very, very pleasant and hospitable. The hotel is quite small and tucked away, and I think might be best described as 'cosy, quaint and charming'. We didn't have the best room in the house (room 1) but the view was fantastic...main issues were that our room door was immediately behind the reception desk (so a bit noisy at times), and the small bathroom window (needed to provide reasonable room ventilation) actually opened to the hotel front door (....no further explanation needed without being indelicate). However, taking continental breakfast on the garden terrace was a real highlight and we will remember that for many years. Evening meals were taken in restaurants recommended by the hotel...and these proved to be good choices. As other reviewers have highlighted, there are a couple of shortcomings that are relatively minor but did detract from our overall satisfaction...and which could be easily remedied - provision of tea/coffee facilities and a bar fridge. Sometimes you just want a coffee or a beer when you want it and without have to go out to get it. (To be fair, tea & coffee was made for us a couple of times but it didn't seem to be the 'usual' practice, except for breakfast.) Perhaps minor things...but for our 2-night stay, the difference between a good experience and a great one.

Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Jamie T
Reviewed August 1, 2012

Well where to start, we arrived to a locked reception door at 2 Pm, which to me is prime check in time. Greeting was warm from owner/ receptionist ,grumpy/ tired child in toe was interesting for a 100 euro a nIght hotel highly rated in trip advisor. good advice for parking but that was where the service stopped. No mini bar or fridge in room, no ice or any form of beverage was available at the so called hotel not even bottled water. During breakfast my wife and I were watched at the buffet and instructed to tray our own food to nearby outdoor tables, we are both hospitality professionals and were shocked by the nervousness of the owner and staff at the hotel considering the great trip advisor reviews. Lounge area down the stairs was showed to us upon arrival to hotel but was continually occupied by the owners family. Overall to me looks like they have bitten off more than they can chew ,and are trying to balance a highly rated hotel whilst bringing up a family in the public areas of the hotel. I have Children and I understand but also respect a guests expectations.

• Stayed August 2012
4 Thank Mesa1984
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed August 1, 2012

The choice of hotels is limited in Albarracin but there are more than listed here on trip advisor so I'd suggest doing some research before booking.

Casa del Tio Americano is in a great location, has a lovely view & a terrace to admire it from, particularly at breakfast.
Our room was nice, with a large enclosed balcony overlooking the river below & town. The facilities in the room were basic but all fine, wifi, a small tv, a nice bathroom with some good quality toiletires.However there are 2 areas in which this hotel suffers.
The first is that there is no air conditioning in the rooms & our room was particularly steamy with little air flow. I asked about a fan the day we arrived but was told that it gets cold at night & we really wouldn't need it. We did need it & found it very hard to sleep. I had to leave the doors open & was attacked by bugs which I then had an allergic reaction to. As I am pregnant I couldn't take the antihistamines to calm the reaction so was quite uncomfortable for the next few days.
I don't blame the hotel for bugs by any means- it is a rural area. However it did negatively affect our stay & I would suggest that a simple electric fan placed in the wardrobe should guests wish to use it would be a good idea.
Both nights we were so warm & uncomfortable we ended up sleeping with wet towells on our head. Even though the doors were open the room just wouldn't cool down particularly as the enclosed balcony radiates heat from the sun glaring in all day.

The second area that let the hotel down is that there is no service other than breakfast.
There is no mini bar in the room & no bar facility whatsoever in the hotel. Therefore anytime we wanted a drink or a cool bottle of water we had to go out for it. We also never used our balcony or the public terrace as it's not as though we could sit out & have a cool glass of wine.
We mentioned this to the owner & she did say she could put our wine (we are in the wine industry so carry wine we've bought at various vineyards with us) in her fridge but this was in a locked kitchen & often the desk at the hotel is unmanned so we thought it pointless as the owners are very often not present- nor any other staff.

One last suggestion would be that they use a gentler cleaning product in the rooms. When we returned to our room hours after it had been serviced the lemon bleach was overwhelming & I felt as though I had walked into a public toilet.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Lafayette, California
Reviewed June 18, 2012

Tio americano is a fabulous B&B, lovely quiet rooms, delicious breakfast, great and very personal service at an excellent rate! Highly recommended!

Room Tip: Choose a garden view room.
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank saskiarebekka
Also consider these accommodations in or near Albarracin
Albarracin Hotel
#1 of 13 in Teruel
Hotel Olimpia
Hotel Olimpia
#4 of 8 in Albarracin

Been to Hotel La Casa del Tio Americano? Share your experiences!