“Me encanta España.”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Alicante

Sponsored by:
Map
Satellite
Map updates are paused. Zoom in to see updated info.
Reset zoom
Updating Map...
Sponsored by:
Sheffield, United Kingdom
10 helpful votes
“Me encanta España.”
Reviewed October 12, 2010

Recently visited Alicante and the local region. Stayed with family in their 2 bed apartment at Alenda Golf near Montforte Del Cid. Been several times and we're never disappointed. The complex itself is not a holiday complex. It's residential with a lot of owner occupiers. About 70% Spanish to 30% other including quite a few British. It's about 20 minutes drive from the airport and you will need a car. Don’t think you can rely on public transport. The region is typically Spanish with few English speakers but the locals are so nice they will help you out. It's best if you get to grips with a little Españiol and oil the wheels. The complex has 2 pools and an 18 hole golf course attached. The golf is quite expensive though. The golf clubhouse just across the road is fantastic. Go for food or just a drink and be served by the nicest set of people I ever met.
Around and about are several towns and villages each with its own charm. Close by is the large town of Elche. This place comes alive every evening in the long summer and it really buzzes. Alicante itself is a beautiful city with a marina that is breathtaking. Tapas bars, restaurants and hotels everywhere. Sitting above the city is the imposing Castillo Santa Barbara. This is worth a visit if only for the views from the top and is accessed via lifts from the main street opposite the marina. Up the coast there is Benidorm, Calpe, Havia, Moraira. Drive south to Guardamar, Torrevieja, Santa Pola. The list goes on. All these places are within ten minutes to an hours’ drive from Alicante.
I love this region and can’t wait for Christmas when we go back.
Be adventurous. Get the phrase book out, book the flights and car. You'll love it!

1 Thank steviemoff
Devon
18 helpful votes
“Car Hire from Car Jet at Alicante Airport”
Reviewed October 7, 2010

Had to wait 30 mins for a car at 2300 hrs as we were not on the days rental list at Dickmans. Car Jets agent at Alicante.

Also got charged 62 Euro for fuel,for a tankful in a Fiesta which at new has a capacity of 45 lites, price of fuel 1.06 euro per litre. 47.70 euro

First excuse fron Car Jet, price of fuel set by Spanish Ministry of Tourism, Second excuse, price of fuel is an average for a tankful for that class of car. We only contracted to buy a tankful.

Be careful when booking and ask what your fuel policy will be, as you will probably get a generalised statement saying full/full, full/empty, or half full for 3 days or less, I took back over half a tank, no refund, was charged IVA twice, prob so the first lot could be claimed back and just overcharged for the fuel in the first place. So they make extra money on fuel three times over.

Car was nice, everything else fine.

8 Thank P38-Tom-A-Hawk
Canada
25 helpful votes
“Alicante is warm and easygoing”
Reviewed September 22, 2010

The goal: Coming from Icelandic glaciers, warm up at a Spanish beach. The Hotel: Hotel Maya with swimming pool 49 euros per room per night for 3 nights. The stroll: 10 minutes walk to Postiguet Beach and La Rambla shopping street. The drink: Tinto de verano red wine spritzer. Choose your own tapas at Lizarran on La Rambla. People watch at the old market at the top of the Rambla. Alicante is: Miami without attitude.

4 Thank vin0tint0
Gran Alacant
19 helpful votes
“Goldcar car Rental-Terrible!!!”
Reviewed September 21, 2010

This is my 1st review. What a pity is is to complain about very bad customer service/support from GOLDCAR Car rental company.
I had a problem in that my sliding door on my rented mercedes vito 9 seater minibus would not open on the 1st day I rented it.
I rented it so I could transport my family of 5 children along with some friends around in comfort.
On day one, I had to return some of my family to the airport from the same villa we were to stay in. When I arrived, the door would not open so I called GOLDCAR, who said "just return it to us and we will replace it". I told them that I had to take my family to the airport to CATCH THEIR RETURN FLIGHT, BUT THEY DIDNT CARE, "JUST RETURN IT TO US", THEY REPEATED.
At this stage we were worried about missing the flight and so we called for 2 taxis, as there were 6 people plus me travelling back to the airport. I paid for the taxis in the belief that GOLDCAR would re imburse me.
After I saw my family off, I wentr to the goldcar service desk who prompty changed the minibus for me. I asked about customer service and they presented me with a card and told me that all customer service was conducted online and that I would have to email them. Bemused, I followed this instruction.

This is a quopte from one of the emails received from Goldcar.
What a Joke!!
"Dear Mark

I understand that it wasn’t funny that the door wasn’t working but your passengers could have used the front door in order to access to the back seats instead taking 2 taxis

We are not able to refund for any Taxi cost that our road assistance did not autorized previously

Kind regards

Katherine

-----Mensaje original-----
De: Mark [
Enviado el: martes, 14 de septiembre de 2010 12:00
Para: Atención al cliente - Customer Services"

19 Thank irishmark42
Cavan, Ireland
3 helpful votes
“La Sede Is The Best Bar in Alicante”
Reviewed August 20, 2010

Myself and my friend spent a week in Alicante last week, and it was one of the best holidays we've been on (and we travel together 3 or 4 times a year).

The people were exceptionally friendly, weather great, beach or sightseeing options, given that it is a city, we couldn't really fault it.

One of the things that made our holiday so great was a little bar we found at the start of our holiday called La Sede in the Old Town, or El Barrio section of the city.

From the moment we entered the barman/owner Javier made us feel completely welcome and like one of the locals. Both my friend and I would go so far as to say that he was the best barman we've ever met! This is the case with the other staff that we met there - Bernadette & Marina. They couldn't do enough to make you feel more welcome and we went back night after night to savour this hospitality.

Something else to note is that La Sede has some of the cheapest drinks in the city so is very popular with locals, something we really liked as you get a much greater sense of the place when mixing with them.

La Sede might not be the most elegant of bars, but the atmosphere more than makes up for that and the staff are exceptional. We will be back!

3 Thank IrishCailin74

Been to Alicante? Share your experiences!