There seems to be a lack of reasonable quality, reasonably priced, centrally located hotels in Alicante. This seemed best of the bunch from reviews and research. Hmmmmm.....
First a list of positive things
* It's minutes from the beach, two streets from the nicest square and metres from great museums
* The junior suite is roomy and has great balcony
* The air con works
things you also need to know
* It has zero, zilch street appeal
* No disabled access, six steep steps - forget wheelchair
* Only public space is breakfast area/cum reception and baggage store (complete with do not leave luggage unattended sign). Second rate 'local artist' hangs on walls
* We arrived day early - entirely our mistake - so were given standard room for one night: these are small, view less (unfinished building site well), literally beds (two fall-down-the-gap ones) a chair and bathroom. Furniture (see later) steel and formica utilitarian. Styleless taken to extremes (see later)
* Breakfast: operates from tiny bar in the communal space: noisy hand washing of dishes the soundtrack; fresh eggs; toaster broken on day one, still broken day four; bread stale day one; yoghurt, cheese, ham (?) replenished; execrable 'juice'. In summary, adequate but will not light your day
* Hotel says wifi available. Ok it is, in lobby (see above). Wasted an hour trying to book hire car, eventually sent next door to sister hotel where, after reboots charming, Englishless handyman succeeded in getting going. In hotel no wifi in rooms (1st floor just, but not in 6th floor junior suite). Lots of guests saying "is it working?"
* Said handyman had to open room safe twice - eventually advised not to use.
The junior suite: roomy, that's it. Sitting area has bed with cushions, one chair, nasty small table/desk already full with tv and ashtray (yes room used by smokers, you need joss sticks). Doors open to balcony with two chairs and two deck chairs plus dying ficus benjamina. Corridor with bathroom leads to bedroom same as room above but small double bed. Window/doors open to same building void. Air con works.
Staff at desk - rotating with Tryp Hotel next door - sufficient English to help sort problems (wifi, toaster, safe etc) and charming handyman who only works until 2pm so don't jam safe after then .... This is run like a budget chain eg Express by Holiday Inn (see our entries for Alicante) but without the attention to style (yes, a EHI is MORE stylish than this) and quality control. It needs a design and management overhaul preferably by someone who knows what hotels should be about: it's customers and their experience.
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, Hotels.com, Travelocity, TripOnline SA, Cancelon, Cheap Tickets, Evoline ltd, Hotel.de and HotelQuickly so you can book your Hotel Gravina Cinco reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.