“Great view”

Ranked #12 of 50 Hotels in Alicante
Almancil, Portugal
“Great view”
Reviewed October 3, 2012

Got a room with a great view to the square with a balcony. Only down side where the flying ants, so we had to keep the doors closed the whole time. Really nice staff and clean hotel. Great locating right near the beach, prams ad and close to the casino.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (122)
  • Finnish first
  • Polish first
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 23, 2012

OK, I'm going to be honest here in my description as there's a lot of points here (plus and minus). When we arrived there was no WOW factor at all, the reception area is a bit like arriving at a Travelodge if you know what that's like. No atrium, no nice seating area where you can relax and read the papers, no nice interiors or smart decor, no bar or restaurant, essentially this place is just a building with a collection of rooms!

The square outside the hotel is lovely, but I didn't book the square, I booked the hotel!

The rooms themselves are in need of bringing up to date. The corridors are in need of painting and rendering as they're dirty from age. The lamps in the public areas are dirty. I cannot really see how this currently has a 4 star classification at all!

The worst thing about this hotel is the NOISE! If you like sleeping this is not the hotel for you. Although it has a great location in terms of being in the middle of the beautiful Old Town this also means it's in the middle of the area with all the bars and clubs which kick out at 4am (and the Spanish weekend starts on Wednesday night!). The amount of noise that resonates between the buildings is just incredible. At first we were on the 1st floor, didn't sleep at all! We moved to the 3rd floor which seemed better but actually it was just because it was Monday/Tuesday and there wasn't a lot of noise, when Wednesday came again the noise was back to ridiculous.

I like to be totally honest about my reviews and I'm never over zealous. I don't want to paint a bad picture where there isn't one, also I don't want to be libelous, at the same time I expect to be told the truth, however I just found this description of the Med Plaza on their own website: 'A true oasis of peace and quiet in the very nerve centre of one of the liveliest cities on the Mediterranean'. Whoever wrote that is either completely deaf or hasn't actually stayed there 'A true oasis of peace and quiet' honestly???

I'm pretty sure that when I left the Med Plaza (before I got to the end of my booking) I wasn't the only one leaving because of the noise, according to what the women on reception had said.

The good point about this hotel is that the staff are very helpful indeed and completely understood about the noise. I took it upon myself to visit the other Eurostars hotel in town and ask if they had rooms available after which point I then asked my hotel if it were possible to change hotels as I was told the noise was expected to be getting worse over the forthcoming weekend. They were able to accommodate my request with no fuss at all. So unfortunately I lost a good few nights sleep but in the end we were well looked after.

If you're reading this and you're a poor sleeper I wouldn't book this hotel, nor if you're looking for a modern hotel.

Room Tip: Somewhere else?
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Pinheadplanet
Durham, UK
Reviewed September 9, 2012

This lovely hotel is 100 yds from the main beach, right next to the spectacular castle and outside in the plaza there are numerous cafes and restaurants where you can buy a reasonable breakfast for 3 euros. We had no problem with air conditioning or any other aspect of the hotel with helpful staff, clean rooms and a ready supply of new towels and toiletries. We were so impressed we intend to return there for our next holiday.

Room Tip: Rooms facing the plaza may be a little noisier than those at the back, however the view is lovely.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank linztripper
Basildon, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 30, 2012

Booked a short break in Alicante at the Eurostars Mediterranea and was worried about the lack of air-conditioning mentioned in previous reviews and the very hot Spanish temperatures. But I did not need to worry as the hotel was perfect and my room was very cool , very clean and had a lovely view over the town hall square. I was greeted with a smile every time I came in or out of the hotel and the receptionist [Maria]was very helpful with places to eat. The hotel is perfectly positioned for the beach and marina and also the old town of Alicante and is surrounded with places to stop and have a cool drink or delicious meal. A visit to the castle is a must with the lift about a half mile along the front. It is also floodlit at night and can be seen from the roof top terrace of the hotel. Will be back on my next visit to Alicante!.

Room Tip: "Rooms overlooking town hall square have lovely view of the castle at night."
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled solo
1 Thank Caroline190757
Worcester, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 18, 2012

This hotel has pleasant staff and has a perfect location.
The standard double room we were allocated was ok, but was in need of a bit of TLC.
To put it bluntly the hotel air conditioning on our day of arrival was not working at all and from what i can gather, when it is working it is inadequate to say the least.
We were informed that we could change our booking to its sister hotel, the Eurostars Lucentum, which was a five or so minute walk away. This hotel is a newer hotel with excellent rooms and with first class air conditioning. The Staff at the Lucentum were not suprised at our transfer and stated there was always problems with the air conditioning at the Hotel Mediterranea.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed August 13, 2012

Do not stay at this hotel if you like to be cool. While the hotel itself is nice enough the air conditioning is inadequate. Our room was sweltering which made sleep impossible. The hotel would be great if they just sorted out the air conditioning.
On a plus the location is great!

• Stayed August 2012
1 Thank Quinny77
Reviewed August 12, 2012

This hotel is fabulous - great location, clean, nice people, decent breakfast - but is let down by one thing: the air conditioning is absolutely terrible.

It's Spain in August and it's VERY hot outside - so decent aircon is vital. This hotel does not have it anywhere - not fun to walk out of breakfast sweating profusely....

• Stayed August 2012