“Must be the best hotel in Alicante but small areas for improvement”
Review of Hospes Amerigo

Hospes Amerigo
Ranked #1 of 50 Hotels in Alicante
Reviewed March 27, 2013

Having booked this hotel a few months earlier and being very pleased to get a good rate of £80 per night from Expedia I was then a bit nervous having read a few less than glowing reviews recently. However I was very happy when we arrived and found a very smart and modern hotel in a tastefully converted old convent (all white marble, dark wood, glass and chrome but within the original outside shell and exposed stone inside the lower floors).

The staff on the reception desk and in the breakfast room were very friendly and helpful and after a short time we definitely felt like part of the family.

We had a standard Dreamer room but it was surprisingly large, it seemed bigger than advertised with one bedroom / sitting room with a proper 2-seater sofa, then a similar sized bathroom / dressing room with 2 sinks, bath and shower. The bathroom was one area where I think they could look to improve, in particular the shower leaked very badly and the open plan bathroom / dressing / entrance area lacks privacy, there is a door between that and the bedroom / sitting room area but it still doesn’t seem right somehow.

There is no tea / coffee making facilities as standar4d in the room but was provided on request, unfortunately though the tea, coffee and bilk was not replenished at all and the cleaners did not clean the cups, maybe it’s just a british thing but being able to make a hot drink at any time is a must in a decent hotel.

The other issue with the room was the noise. We had a third floor room facing the inner courtyard so even though we did not face the main road the noise was very intrusive, every word could be heard from the ground floor. The windows appeared to be double glazed but maybe they could look at better soundproofing.

The hotel is theming itself on sleeping well so it is strange that the rooms are not quieter, also the pillows were firm foam ones, I asked for some softer feather pillows as I sleep much better on them, they only managed to find one in the whole hotel. Again, even Holiday Inns provide a pillow menu

The breakfast was excellent with a large variety of cold items from juices, cereals, fruits, meats, cheeses, fish, pastries, breads etc, good if you have a breakfast inclusive rate but at 18 euros (+4 euros for a cooked course) it is a bit steep when there are good options close by for a breakfast at around 5 euros (try explanade café 50 meters away).

The leisure facilities are on the roof with a very small pool (about 8 meters by 3 meters and less than 1 meter deep), there are a few sun loungers but no seats to sit in the sun, again something we looked for in vain as the weather was good in March and we would have liked to sit out to read.

So, there are a few niggles (as a regular business traveller I know how most hotel rooms have something that is not quite right), but nevertheless it is a good hotel and I expect it is definitely one of the best in Alicante and would have no hesitation in staying there if we visit there again.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled on business
2  Thank Yorkie137

Reviewed March 17, 2013

We booked the apartments but due to the reviews upgraded to the main hotel on arrival. It cost 20 euros,money well spent apparently. We had a room on the 3rd floor at the rear of the hotel and it was excellent. View of the castle and cathedral and no noise from the street, but it was a Sunday night. The staff were excellent, not always the case in Spanish hotels, either suggesting the pool might be cool. It was in fact lovely and warm but does need some work. We didn't eat at the hotel as the area is awash with bars and resturants.

Room Tip: Rooms at the back are quieter
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank JJSETWESB
Reviewed March 14, 2013

This hotel was booked on Hotwire.com. Beware because if you do that, because you will not get the Hospes Amerigo Hotel. Instead, we were told that we had a room in their apartments, about 200 meters away from the hotel.
What is insane is that my Hotwire.com account specifically said that I had booked a room in the Hospes Amerigo hotel, but the hotel disagreed. I showed them my account and they still said that I had booked a room in their "Hospes Amerigo Premium Apartments." I even showed them confirmation by Hotwire on my Iphone that I had a room at the supposedly 5 star hotel and asked them "What would you think if you booked a room at a 5 star hotel and then were taken to an apartment 200 meters away from the hotel?" The desk clerk helping me agreed that he would be more than confused by the situation. Basically, the hotel blamed Hotwire for not showing on my account that I had reserved the "Hospes Amerigo Premuim Apartments." The hotel is blaming Hotwire for the mistake, which they should be taking ownership of. The hotel elects to use Hotwire to sell their rooms. It was not surprising that with classy Spanish hospitality, the manager at the hotel diffused responsibility onto Hotwire. Of course the hotel was not at fault, they can do no wrong!
The hotel said that they would give us a free breakfast as an accomodation. OK, that seems like a nice move, but what they brought for us to eat was two cheap, bare-bones sandwiches on white bread. Again, not 5 stars!
As for my experience at the "Premium Apartments" I can only say that we both barely slept a wink because of loud outside noises. Even while sleeping with earplugs I was awakened at 4AM because I thought there was a domestic violence situation going on. A true 5 star experience. The apartment was large compared to many rooms in Spain but it had no phone. I mean, what if there is an emergency? There was also no artwork up, which made the place look barren and spartan.
The hotel is very nice inside but much of their furnishings are outdated. Their pool area is something out of a 3 star hotel and the gym is in shambles. I figured that staying at a 5 star hotel I would be able to get a decent workout in, but the gym doesn't even have a weight set -- all they have is outdated cardio equipment. If you sweat or are thirsty there are no towels or water in the gym, either. Five stars? That is just a blatant lie. This is 2 or 3 star stuff.
Finally, I think that it is particularly sleezy that the hotel recommended us to eat at some of their restaurants that the hotel chain owns. We wanted a great local place and instead they directed us to an adequate but overpriced place where everyone spoke English. Not an honest recommendation, in my eyes.
This place is nothing short of a huge disappointment.

Room Tip: Do not book through Hotwire. You will not get a 5 star hotel!
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
4  Thank Dr B
Reviewed March 8, 2013

The building is stunning, full of history and in a superb location. Staff are excellent and very service-orientated. Rooms are very well appointed and equipped. I love the interior design of them.
Pool area is rather small but there are two nice little sun traps on the roof by the spa with great views of the city.

Minor issue is the tapas bar opposite, which has live music on many days, people hanging out in front and chatting. Ergo, it is really loud and I would therefore avoid having a room out front again.

Room Tip: Don't stay in the rooms out front on weekends. Tapas bar opposite very loud into the early hours...
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank ChickCam
Reviewed March 8, 2013

If you fancy TV flat screens, bathrobes and other niceties of the kind, and you have spare money, AND YOU DO NOT CARE UGLY VIEW AND SURROUNDINGS, then go there. Otherwise choose something else, unless you can have a guarantee to obtain rooms 322, 321, 320 or, alternatively, 222, 221, 220, which can have a glimpse of the sea and, necessarily, a lesser view of the ugly surroundings.

Now, you are going to tell me that Alicante is not precisely what you would call a nice and beautiful place and, therefore, ugly view and surroundings are not necessarily a bad thing, since it is typical of the town. It is true and untrue at the same time. Because, wandering about I saw nice squares, with hotels on them, e.g. in the Piaza del Ayuntamieto, which would necessarily offer a nicer (and less expensive staying).

Also, is it conceivable that a supposedly five stars hotel does offer coffee and tee making facilities? Apparently it is....

Pity, holidays is precious thing, people pay a lot (and not only in terms of money) to have them and the professional of tourism make unduly unjustices to themselves.

And a last thing. At some moment tourist authorities should also control the advertishment about hotel swimming pools.

Room Tip: Insist on a room with a sea glimpse, in particulat in ordrer to reduce view of ugly surroundings
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled with friends
4  Thank Haris55
Reviewed March 5, 2013

lovely hotel in central position for exploring Spanish Old Town. Five minutes walk to beach. Use of roof terrace, small gym, sauna and rooftop indoor swimming pool. Quality linens and excellent bathroom and shower facilities with top quality products. Great bar and restaurant, advisable to book restaurant for week-ends. Staff friendly and helpful. Airport bus service 5 minutes walk and excellent prompt for 2.70e.

Room Tip: avoid breakfast at 18e overpriced and extra for some cooked items. Great places close by to eat, Ley...
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
4  Thank ileana318
HospesHotels, Director General at Hospes Amerigo, responded to this reviewResponded March 8, 2013

We would like to thank you for the time that you have spent writing to us and also for choosing the Hospes Amérigo in your last visit to Alicante.
We are very glad that you enjoyed all the Hotel facilities and services in your stay with us, including the service provided by Monastrell Restaurant and Isla Incity Lounge Bar.
Be assured that we will pass your very kind comments to all the Hospes Amérigo Team.
We are really looking forward to welcome you to our Hotel very soon.

Francisco Capó

Reviewed February 26, 2013

My wife and i stayed here for our honey moon in May of 2011. We picked this hotel for location. Arrival went smooth, The room was smaller than expected, and the bathroom had broken tiles and glass edges. The hotel staff were friendly. Sadly the hotel walls were paper thin and at 6:40 every morning we could hear the garbage trucks and delivery trucks out side our room, we were on the 4th floor. The rooftop pool was small but hit the spot. The roof top bar was not stocked with the drinks you would expect at a 5 star hotel, so i settled for a Corona. The hotels joining restaurant was shockingly rude, we dropped in on them late one night for two oysters and a piece of cake and the waiter was kind enough to build a 10 euro tip into our 14 euro bill. I would not recommend you stay here. For the money you can get more. Hopefully they have refurnished by now.

Room Tip: Say way from the main road, very noisy
  • Stayed: May 2012, traveled as a couple
4  Thank Speel

We would like to thank you for your comments regarding your stay at the Hospes Amérigo in May 2011.
We would also like to take this opportunity to send you our sincere apologies for not been able to meet your expectatios and provide you with the service that you expected.
Again we would like to thank you for your comments and we hope to have the possibility to welcome you to our Hotel, so you can have the chance to see the improvements in the service in both the Hotel and the Restaurants and Bars since your last stay.

Looking forward to welcome you to the Hospes Amérigo in your next visit to Alicante.

Francisco Capó