“Lovely ride in the Spanish countryside”
Review of Rancho La Ofra

Rancho La Ofra
More attraction details
Owner description: Horseback Riding through Guadalest Valley, Costa Blanca. Let us take you along the banks of River Guadalest and through the unspoilt mountains of the Costa Blanca. Individual tours: max. 4 Persons can take part! You do not have to be an experienced horse rider to take part on one of our guided excursions. Your horse will go in the pace 'walk' during the hack. After the tour snacks and drinks will be served for free! Important Information: The total duration of a tour is approx. 2. Hrs. Number of participants: min. 2 Persons, max. 4 Persons. Minimum age required on excursion is 12 years old. We also offer dressage and show jumping lessons for beginners and advanced students, arranged in either groups or private classes.
Reviewed November 12, 2013

Arrived on a very windy day so we were unable to do the mountain ride but the 'river bed' hack was very pleasant, passing avocado, medlar, pomegranate and orange orchards. Our guide was very experienced and spoke good English.
The horses were very well looked after and the Ranch itself was run tidy and eficiently, tack well looked after. Clean toilet facilities available.
The owner presented us with coffee before the ride and tasty tapas and cold drinks afterwards - all with views of the cute crazy squirrel outside. Owners gave directions for an excellent place serving amazing Apple Strudel and fantastic views!
My only recomendations would be:
Take the owners telephone number with you. We had great difficulty finding the Ranch, but after a quick phone call he met us at the petrol station for us to follow him back.
Go prepared with a pair of gloves. I rode Sox who liked to eat everything available so i was forever pulling up the reigns - sore hands indeed after 2 hours.
Would defo recommend to all i know.

Reviewed October 26, 2013

We had a thoroughly enjoyable 2.5 hours gentle stroll on horseback along the banks of the Guadalest river on very patient horses with an enthusiastic young leader who spoke good english. After the ride we very much enjoyed the tapas and ice cold beer and cola our host had waiting for us. My husband and I are very occasional riders of limited ability (walk, trot and a little canter on good ground) but we enjoy a horseback trek when visiting different parts of the world and our daughter has been a keen rider for many years so we are familiar with a variety of stables and can say that La Ofra's horses, staff, equipment and facilties are of a very high order. The owners and staff are charming and we would recommend this experience for riders and non riders alike.

1  Thank penandrich
Reviewed October 22, 2013

My wife and I visited here recently for one of their hacks. Despite we two being of very differing ability (me, a novice, she's very experienced) they were able to keep us together on the same route through beautiful terrain. The ranch is expertly run and the young guide who lead us was both competent and knowledgeable about the surrounding countryside we were riding through.

The horses were in good condition and were 100% bombproof, providing a very enjoyable ride. At one point my horse was frightened when a branch hit him in the face, but he didn't take a step off the track, rear, bolt, or in any way make me feel unsafe, calming down almost immediately.

When we got back to the ranch there was a lovely hot snack waiting for us - chorizo and what I can only describe as potato cake, and drinks were in ready supply!

My only criticism would be that very experienced riders may find two and a half hours of solid walking boring, and the ranch could improve their hacks by adding a little change in the pace, such as a short trot, and by researching a more circular route.

However, overall, a fantastic experience and highly recommended.

Reviewed October 2, 2013

I chose to do the river ride as I dont much like heights, I was a little nervous to begin with as you have to ride down some fairly steep concrete paths to get to the valley, you soon realise that the horses are use to it and coped well. It was just me and one other rider in the group with a lead rider, as we could both ride we did walk and trot and was out for just over two hours riding through the lemon and orange groves, simply enchanting, the ground is much to hard for much else, where else can you ride and pick a fresh fig off a tree and feed it to your horse. The owners were very friendly and offered my husband advice on where he could go while I was on the ride, they also provided drinks and tapas upon return and welcome shade which was a really lovely touch, would definately recomend.

1  Thank janderson2013
Reviewed October 1, 2013

I left it to a couple of weeks before we went on holiday to enquire about a hack and Jochen kept in contact with me via email while we were on holiday to slot me in with another couple of similar experience. The stables are well kept and the horses obviously well cared for - these are professional people. The road up to the ranch is a little off the beaten track! I have been riding for a couple of years but Jochen explained that there are some high paths with vertical drops on the trek in the mountains which I wouldn't have fancied so was happy to stay in the valley! The terrain and heat meant that we stuck to walking pace but wandering through the fruit groves at the foot of the mountain ranges for 2 and a half hours was most pleasant. All the staff spoke excellent English and were really friendly. We had drinks and tapas on the terrace on our return which was lovely. It was very good value for money when compared to the cost of riding in the UK - with lovely scenery and the hospitality, I would highly recommend it. It is very close to the lovely village of Guadalest so my husband and kids went there for a wander while waiting for me and then we went back again when I had finished!