“Wonderful once again”

Cuisines: Mediterranean
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Reviewed May 6, 2013

Great “Super Menu” very good, value great, warm atmosphere.
If you find yourself in Alicante you should go to this restaurant. It is in a narrow street behind the Cathedral. Wine is good and well-priced, menu is fixed but there is a choice of courses.

Run by a lovely couple.

3  Thank ChampagneChuck

Reviewed May 6, 2013

I have reviewed this restaurant in the past and it is worthy of another comment. We just had our wedding anniversary celebration weekend in Alicante and went on Friday night. We had the "Especial Menu" this was a wonderful combination of courses with the penultimate being prawns, I have never tasted prawns as good they were succulent juicy and so so tasty, if that wasn’t fantastic enough the main was T-bone steak. Not one of those "desperate Dan" things you get in the UK but a perfectly cooked piece of meat cooked in garlic and herb oil it was bloody lovely. A bottle of Crianza Rioja "Ramon Bilbao" 2009 was enjoyed with the steak, only €13.5 amazing value.

The whole evening that included 2 Menu’s a bottle of Crianza 4 glasses of white wine (to go with the prawns) desert 2 coffees and 2 massive glasses of amaretto on ice came to €90… absolute bargain and a Michelin star style evening for pizza money.

So good we went back on Saturday had the other menu and guess what it was fantastic. The owners found out it was our anniversary and gave us a glass of champagne each and a special dessert.

Whilst we were dinning on the Saturday they had to turn away 3 parties totalling 15 people as they were fully booked. So call and book 0034-965 206 287.

It is one seating be prepared to enjoy up to 3 hours of great food lovely wine in great surroundings. It can be much less if you ask but we just enjoyed the food the music and the amazing atmosphere. Another couple were there both nights also!!!

3  Thank DaleK182
Reviewed April 17, 2013

We had lunch here, I chose the special menu at €25 and my wife had the normal menu at €12. We had mixed success.
The restaurant scores top marks for atmosphere,friendliness, cleanliness & class but the food suffered mixed results.
I had the ham followed by king prawns, orange sorbet and the steak and then the strawberry cake.

My wife had the pasta, sorbet, fish stew and again the cake.

Two dishes were pretty poor and the others were very good.

Avoid the pasta which was overwhelmed with too much oregano and the flagship steak course was cooked to perfection but was swamped in rock salt to the extent that I attempted to wipe away the salty taste on my napkin!.
To their credit they were very concerned with our feedback and offered alternatives.
We were going to book another date for an evening meal but decided against due to the fundamental errors that spoilt our meal.

2  Thank AlanAnnie
Reviewed April 17, 2013

In the heart of the old city, L'Atelier restaurant nestles quietly behind San Nicolas cathedral and unless you are looking for it you would quite possibly walk past it. However, once found in the side streets of San Nicolas, this gem of a restaurant does not disappoint.

I went there with my husband on the recommendation of TripAdvisor reviews and we were so glad that we did. I believe it opens during the day for lunch, but for evening meals it opens around 8pm (Thurs-Sat) although it filled up by 9pm and then due to the nature of the menus there is no room in the inn so to speak!

The menus consist of 2 fixed priced "menus del dia." A tasting menu with 6/7 smaller courses costing 16 or 20 euros and a tasting menu with 5 larger courses for 25 euros. We decided to have the 20 euro(p/p) and believe me the 7 dishes we had were a gastronomic delight.

The first dish is a special tapa of olives with warm fresh bread rolls followed by a homemade soup. Next we had beef in crepes, with a main of fish, a strawberry sorbet to cleanse the palate, a steak main and finally finished off with a delicious dessert. Water was provided at the table and the wine was sheer quality. The whole bill including drinks cost around 58 euros.

The service was extremely professional, courteous, unhurried and friendly and I would describe the surroundings as intimate with soft jazz playing in the background. If I had to pick out a negative it would only be that softer lighting would enhance it even more, but then I would be being extremely picky.

There are times that you can leave a restaurant either feeling too full or still hungry and to some extent very disappointed, L'Atelier left us feeling fully satisfied on many levels. Great food, great atmosphere, great value, great service and when in Alicante next time, we will certainly return again and again to what we consider a GREAT restaurant.

4  Thank Annie5691
Reviewed April 12, 2013 via mobile

I have visited L'atelier a few times now, and it is by far my favourite restaurant in the Alicante area. The food is excellent and delicate. The price is very reasonable, considering the quality and the owners are extremely kind.

1  Thank casperjul