“A proper restaurant and good value”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of L'Atelier

L'Atelier
Ranked #6 of 1,302 Restaurants in Alicante
Good for: Local cuisine, Dining on a budget, Romantic, Business meetings, Families with children, Special occasions
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Late Night, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
York, United Kingdom
“A proper restaurant and good value”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 27, 2013

After searching hard for good restaurants in Alicante finally we arrived at L’Atelier and it was a different class to all the others we tried.

First thing to say is that they only have 2 fixed price menus, the tasting menu of 6 or 7 smaller courses for 16 or 20 euros and a 25 euro menu of 5 larger courses so not a large choice but having the tasting menu we had 7 very good courses. First a small olive tapas and delicious home made bread rolls, then a soup course followed by a risotto and then sorbet. After that a delicious fish course, a meat course and finally dessert. So whilst each course was not large the sum was a deliciously varied and balanced well cooked meal that left us very satisfied. Together with a very nice bottle if Rioja and water all for 50 euros to me is very good value.

The ambience is also excellent, with a nice background soundtrack of trad jazz.

Another point is that for evening meals it is only open Thursday to Saturday so make sure you plan ahead. We asked our hotel to make a reservation and they told us the only available time was 8:30 so we waited until then, when we turned up there was only one table occupied so I don’t know why they would not take reservations earlier, if you make a reservation and want to go earlier then it is worth a try.

So if you are in Alicante on an evening when it is open and want a real restaurant experience then this is a must.

1 Thank Yorkie137

• Finnish first
  • Polish first
Santa Pola, Spain
“Good, modern food at a reasonable price”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 10, 2013

Have eaten here twice. First time as a walk in, and then returned with a group is 10 from work. Professional yet informal service. Good food, beautifully presented. Charmingly restored old room in the heart of the barrio, right behind the cathedral. Highly recommended. Popular with local Spanish customers and visitors alike.

northumberland
“WHAT A FIND”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 10, 2013

I had seen the reviews and on my trip to Alicante had to find this restaurant. I know the area fairly well so finding it was hopefully easy. It is down a side street behind the catherdral and wow it didn't disappoint. I had the 12 euro lunch menu del dia, all the food was freshly cooked and exceptional. I will be returning in May and can't wait to eat there again. I would like to try the evening menu as if the daytime is to go by, it should be just as good.

Ashland, Oregon
“The Gem of Alicante!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 7, 2013

I have struggled my way through barely edible meals in my three days in Alicante. On the last night we discovered this absolute gem of a restaurant. Every morsel from the bread hot from the ovens & spicy olive treats, to the perfectly flavored fish soup, followed by creamy yet delicate chicken crepes as a 1st and then a piece of hake with julienned vegetables served en papillote that simply melted in my mouth as a 2nd. The house wine was first rate and the small brownie with a daub of ice cream was not be denied. All this--not including the very inexpensive but full-bodied, fruity, yet oh so smooth house vino--was unbelievably 16 Euros. Did I mention that the venue was delightful, romantic, and the service outstanding? Best meal I have had so far in my two week travels throughout Portugal and Spain. Locals & travelers alike--Discover this gem of a restaurant tucked behind the cathedral of San Nicholas on the blvd of the same name. Should be Number 1 in all of Alicante.

2 Thank NW_Fresh
Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
“pleasant lunch”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 23, 2013

There was not a lot of choice on the set menu but the food was very good and excellent value for money. The restaurant is worth looking for behind the cathedral (you are unlikely to pass it accidentally), it is a very pleasant interior and the staff are cheerful and helpful. .

• Visited February 2013