“Nice hotel, brilliant golf”

Hotel Alicante Golf
Ranked #29 of 49 Hotels in Alicante
Leigh-on Sea, United Kingdom
“Nice hotel, brilliant golf”
Reviewed April 25, 2012

Booked a week at the Husa Alicante using Southend Airport as it's very local to me. We were going to play golf with a few days inbetween to check out Alicante and the surrounding areas.

We chose the Husa knowing that it's quite remote and far out of 'town' although we expected that there would be some night life on San Juan Plaza and we could get a cab or tram into Alicante.

There is no night life on San Juan so if buzzing cafes and pubs are your thing, this is not the right place to stay. In saying that though there is a very buzzy plaza just opposite with several cafes/restuarants/burger king etc just opposite and we were quite happy with this.

The Husa is lovely - i think its worth 3-4 stars. Staff are very friendly and although I speak some Spanish it was not necessary - staff all spoke English. We had a nice room (deluxe overlooking the golf course) however our view was obscured by palm trees and a higher room would have been nicer.

I have only 2 grumbles about the Husa - the breakfasts are absolutely dire and they really ought to do something about this as it brings the whole place down. I ended up eating cereal as the cooked and cold breakfasts are just awful. The hot food is cold (cold beans uggggghh) too which makes it worse.

The other niggle is that I booked a double bed, clarifying on 3 occasions with the agent that this was confirmed and then was given a twin when i got there with no option to change.

Everything else is great - free parking, easy acccess to the countryside and a cheap cab to Alicante.

The standout of this trip however was the golf course - loved it. The course is superb and I am so glad we booked 3 rounds on the same course. Even with this however, comes a negative - the play is EXTREMELY slow and this drove us nuts. They book everyone as a 4 ball and unless you insist they will pair you up with random strangers so that they can get more on the course. It is way oversubscribed and I found this annoying - we were quite happy to tee off in the afternoon (course is quite empty after about 2pm) and ended up changing 2 of our tee times because 5 and a half hours to go round is just ridiculous.

The above was an annoyance that i will avoid in future all over Spain as I believe this is quite common. We are going for the weekend again in May and I will be sure to book as late in the day as possible.

All round, I loved the holiday and will definitely go back to the Husa again

Room Tip: If golf is your thing and you want to overlook the golf course make sure you are on the third or 4th...
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Jane K

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (37)
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 14, 2012

I've been here recently, stayed for 3 nights. Hotel is beautiful, large and spacious. Breathtaking view over golf fields and mountain(room 430). Everyone was very friendly and helpful.

Rooms are strong 3*, maybe 3+*(ask for higher floor! no slippers and bathrobes, just ask for them at reception). They have body cream with disgusting smell! Take one with you! Same thing with shampoo and conditioner. If you have a room in the right wing looking over garden, you can get sun showers in the morning on the balcony.

Breakfast was good, good but not great variety and a lot of greesy dishes. Restaurant food was delicious! and not very expensive, set menu was 18euros.

Spa is very plain, no jacuzzi, warm sauna and small pool only. We went their for free as a part of our offer, but if you pay - you just waste your money.

Peacocks walking on the territory! We had two peacock males flying to our balcony! Had really nice pictures with them and their glamorous tails:)

Spent really good time there!

Room Tip: Rooms looking over garden have amazing view. Right wing gets more sun during a day.
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank Kristina L
Ellon, United Kingdom
Reviewed February 21, 2012

Stayed there in Jan 2012, the company I work for held their global sales meeting at the hotel.

The website advertises a gym but its only open from 10am only had some treadmills and no weights,
The free wifi didnt work most of the time.
The food was ok, pretty bland which was a shame

• Stayed January 2012, traveled on business
Zurich, Switzerland
Reviewed October 10, 2011

This hotel looked like a beauty from the outside, but as soon as I entered my room I was in dismay. The carpets were terribly stained and dirty, the room was a non-smoking room but smelled terribly of smoke, and in the bathtub there was mold growing in the corners.

The service on the terrace was more like self service or just order at the bar, and the tables neighboring me were still stacked with dishes from the last customers.

Not to mention there are no restaurants or shops in the area so be prepared to take a taxi or tram to Alicante town which is about 15 minutes away.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled solo
2 Thank jetsetter181

Travelers are raving about these Alicante hotels

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 25, 2011

Just returned from a lovely 6 day late summer holiday at the Hotel Husa Alicante. My wife chose it and to be honest it ticked all our boxes and is difficult to fault.

In summary it is a very clean and quiet hotel, set in the beutiful surroundings of a picturesce golf course, abounding with wildlife, at a reasonable cost. The staff were very friendly and most spoke good English as we don't speak more than a handful of Spanish ourselves. The food in the hotel was good, with a couple of exceptions, but especially the breakfast.

For those who wish to know more detail I will go on but flet it might be useful to casual readers to start with an overall summary...

The room - my wife booked a deluxe room (209) on the second floor - which was certainly worth the extra Euros in our view. It was very clean and overlooked the golf course. Its only drawback were two palm trees immediately outside the which obstructed the view of the course and the sunset. We were given the option of changing to another room but it had a kingsize bed so we stayed put. The room was a very good size, very clean, with a big bathroom and large balcony with two chairs and a table to sit and enjoy the sun/view.

to finish.......

Room Tip: Rooms overlooking the golf course are definitely to be preferred.
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank GraceyUk
Cork, Ireland
Reviewed September 13, 2011

My family went on holiday to this hotel. my sister her husban and my dad and myself and my boyfriend. the boys were well entertained by the gold and myself and my sister did plenty of sunbathing!! so there was a good mix for all. there was loads of wildlife about the place ducks etc which my dad totally loved. all in all a great place to go!!!

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with family
San Juan
Reviewed September 9, 2011

We booked 7 nights at the Husa Alicante Golf because the Hotel Sidi San Juan closed down earlier this year. We last stayed at the Husa 4-5 years ago when it was 5 star. The biggest difference was that staff have been cut by 75%, which meant that each member of staff was doing the same amount of work previously done by 4 and the Husa is now 4 star.

However Spanish 4 star is a different universe from English 4 star, and the service at the Husa was second to none, the room was excellent and the food far exceeded our expectations. We could not believe it when a couple of northerners said that the breakfast was appalling because the scrambled egg and bacon was not hot - for heavens sake there was a full spread of fruit, breads and cold meats with cheese.

The lunches were excellent with a 3 course set meal including one drink for € 20. The waiters were all 5 star trained and therefore first class.

There are plenty of sun loungers in the pool area, with entertainment provided by the many ducks who waddle about - really!!

• Stayed September 2011, traveled with family