“Good value”

Tamworth, England, United Kingdom
“Good value”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 5, 2013

Good value.

Rooms basic and could be improved with minor changes ie duvet and curtains are drab and need brightening up. Tea / coffee facilities in room would also improve stay.

Pool is freezing as not in full sun until the afternoon.

Food basic but everything within a 15 minute walk

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (122)
  • Finnish first
  • Hungarian first
  • Polish first
Marlow, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 24, 2013

I am glad that you guys had such a nice experience being at this hotel. That what I can't say about myself! I went up there to spend my birthday thinking that it would be the best time ever and I was totally wrong. I was attacked by an another guest who complained that my friend and I were too noisy (it was at about 2 am, we were a bit drunk but we behaved, definitely! - we just came back to our bedroom after party). The woman just came into our bedroom (wearing only pants and T-shirt) and started to shout at us (I am not so sure who made bigger noise at the end) and pushing my friend and me. She came 3 times making a mess about (she squeezed my arm - I had a big brust on my left arm and she also tried to squeezed my neck!!!!). Of course, the manager (or whoever he was) came to make us calm (not her!!!). The following day, my friend went downstairs to complain about that situation (actually, they called us in the morning to come). They suggested her to go to the Police (we asked them about the cameras at the hotel as a proof, they had no objections). When we were ready to go, the manager called me again to his cabinet and told us that... it is not good idea to do it because they haven't got any cameras and in that case... we just don't have any proof! They said to us that it would be better to enjoy the day instead of calling the Police (that what we have done at the end because... it was our last night there and we didn't want to spend all day to be investigated, especially in that situation when all staff was against us). We just came back to Englad with some suntan and bad memories.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
London
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 23, 2013

Stayed here with my 7 year old for 4 nights at easter to escape the freezing weather in the Uk and it was a very good choice for the price which was very reasonable.

The facilities like the pool and bar were good, though pool rather chilly and there is a gym though we didn't use it. Decor in the breakfast room and terrace area was good, the lifts etc all quite modern and staff friendly and helpful.

We had a large room with nice sea view on the 7th floor ( smoking floor which i would have preferred not to have had) and enclosed balcony and although the room was fairly basic in style had everything you need. The room got very hot but that encouraged us to get out and about. The towels were a bit thin as were the walls and we heard loud lovemaking and conversations at night which was a bore but I think it was also due to the neighbours being inconsiderate.

We opted for half board which was a bit hit and miss. The breakfast was very good and more like a 4 star than 3 star, lots of options to choose from both hot and cold which seemed to be perfectly hot to me unlike some reviews I read. Small details could have been better like the orange juice tasted like they mixed real juice with something from a packet but generally no complaints there. The supper wasn't quite so good, but perhaps because wasn't high season. On the nights when there seemed to be large groups or coach parties it was served as a buffet in the main dining room and there was a good selection of salad, soup and puddings but the vegetables were pretty much all potato based and either fish or meat ( not so good for vegetarians) but on the other night ew had waiter service in the restaurant on the ground floor. there wasnt much choice and the food pretty poor, very salty as to be virtually inedible one night.

Location is very good easy walk through the old town or along esplanande to the centre and bus to & from the airport very close by ( 2.70Euro) as well as right next to marq metro/tram station which takes you to the top of town one way and benidorm the other.

All in all I'd stay again but just bed and breakfast as there are plenty of places to eat and several very close to the hotel.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Ros729
Leeds, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 15, 2013

We stayed here for 3 nights in a double room and a twin room next to each other for an end of school Easter holiday break. I really wanted to give it 4 1/2. I would definitely stay here again.

Location: We felt excellent. Out of the hustle and noise of late night Alicante, but on the doorstep. About 10 minutes walk to the old town and 5 minutes walk to the north end of the beach - which was much quieter than the south side. The walk into town is on the very nice promenade at the back of the beach. 23 euros taxi from the airport. After a visit to the castle, the walk down ends right by the hotel. 100 metres from a large shopping centre Plaza Mar 2 with all my kids favourite Spanish brands (Zara, Stradivarius, Pull and Bear etc) for late night shopping - open til 10pm plus an Al Campo supermarket.

Rooms: Very clean but I felt a little outdated. Everything that you need. Good shower! Good range of TV channels including BBC1, 2, ITV1,2,4 etc.

Staff: Very friendly.

Breakfast: Very good range of hot and cold food. Good juice, coffee, range of teas.

Swim Pool: website said it was only open from June - but it was open in April, which the girls were very pleased about.

Bar: Good and not too expensive. We did not have food except for breakfast - too many good places to try in Alicante.

Other: Good free wifi which we could get in our 7th floor room, which was a real bonus.

Overall, a very good stay.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
3 Thank loulouleeds
Cartagena, Spain
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 14, 2013 via mobile

The only reason I marked this hotel down is the walls between the rooms must be paper thin.
We could hear everything - the phone conversation, plugging in to sockets, turning on light switches.
The staff were good, better Spanish customer service than many. The rooms were well equipped, modern and clean.
The price value is excellent.
I wasn't expecting great things of the breakfast after reading some reviews, but I thought it more was more than acceptable. A good variety and what I had I enjoyed.
Would like to stay again but it would depend in the neighbours!!

• Stayed April 2013
1 Thank janestopforth
Scotland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 24, 2013

Just back from our 3rd visit to this hotel and it just keeps getting better. Rooms are spacious and the staff all very friendly and helpful. We had a room on the tenth floor with a closed in balcony. Our view was over the castle which suited us - especially seeing it lit up at night.

The Maya is changing but all for the better. More television channels in English which was good for us as we are not the local nightlife type of couple ! They also now have a detailed explanation of local trams in the foyer now i.e where they go, line details etc and using thatn we had a lovely trip to El Campello which I would highly recommend.

Breakfast is nice but sadly as many other reviews have mentioned, the hot food is more lukewarm than hot- although there is now a microwave handy I noticed :)

We will always return to the Maya when we go to Alicante. The location is great being just a short walk to the town and the beach, tram stop just outside for going further afield and a quiet area. Already looking forward to returning there again in the future

• Stayed February 2013
6 Thank traveller281
A TripAdvisor Member
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 14, 2013

Good value, friendly staff, nice rooms with satellite TV and terrace. At 10pm I still could get food at the bar. Public parking is available on the street behind the hotel, but can be difficult to find a place, depending on time of day.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled solo
Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com

1 Thank A TripAdvisor Member