“Cold, damp and smelly, but the owner was annoyed by guests” 1 of 5 bubbles
Review of Pension San Nicolas

Lowest prices for {0} - {1}
Enter dates for lowest prices
We check up to 200+ sites for the lowest hotel prices
Pension San Nicolas
Ranked #3 of 27 Alicante B&B and Inns
Cincinnati, Ohio
“Cold, damp and smelly, but the owner was annoyed by guests”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 14, 2012

This is actually the first bad reference from trip advisor. My gut instinct when we arrived was to grab the bags and run, but I wasn't sure about the booking.com payment, plus it was too late, I was too tired and drove too far. When we checked in the owner made us feel like we were an inconvenience. She was very anxious to take the money and run. I realized why after I was wishing we had left before we paid. She wanted to be sure we paid before we realized it was wiser to get away quickly. The owner had more important things to do than worry about guests. The very pleasant, but naive girl she left here was nice enough to change the damp sheets for a another set of damp sheets. After we came back from dinner the room was even colder and the damp sheets felt even more unpleasant. I understood why the lobby was obnoxiously over scented with candles. It was to mask the damp, musky smell of the place. This is not a good deal at any price. Do yourself a favor and find another place to stay. Who recommended this place? Do they live under a bridge?

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank intlmanmystery
alicantesanicolas, Propietario at Pension San Nicolas, responded to this review, December 17, 2012
Dear guest. I am Caroline the owner of this little family pension. I am running it on my own. The sheets are washed, dryed under the Alicante sun, ironed and placed on the bed every day by myself. No damp sheets are put on beds of course....! What is happenning now in low season is that the rooms are not occupied every day so they are a bit cool hence the sheets feel cold, but not dump. As the pension is running slow in this period well the heating is not on all the time. This w-e during Mark´s stay the temperature rose in Alicante up to 20 degrees so there was no need for heating. I am running the place on my own and I have a 4 year old little boy whom I need to fetch from school in the afternoon, which is when Mark and his wife arrived. I explained to him where to park the car, showed him on the map and told him that I will not be here when they will be back. I asked for the payment just in case they could do it before parking the car because I speak perfect english and the young girl who helps me out from time to time does not....that´s the only reason why! At the reception there is one scented candle and usually all clients enjoy the nice warm atmosphere that the candle gives....that´s the only reason to have a candle!
Unfortunately, it was obvious that Mark arrived in Alicante tired and found it hard to find a place where to park the car and this made him see things in a very negative way which I truly feel sorry about.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (17)
  • Polish first
Madrid
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 13, 2012

This is excellent value. Located right behind the church in the town's centre, it is also close to the bars and restaurants. The hostel was clean and the staff helpful. THe rooms were also very well equipped for my wife and I (it even had a hair dryer). The area can be noisy as it is close to the action, though that comes with the territory. I will stay at San Nicolas again on my next trip to Alicante.

Room Tip: Ask for a room off the main street to avoid late night revelers.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
Wien
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 12, 2012

we had an awesome stay at san nicolas! Very stylish rooms, top accommodation, very clean and top location in the city center. Very friendly and helpful owner! Great for partypeople too! Partymile is next to the hostel =D

Room Tip: the viloett room is the best
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
Marseille, France
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 24, 2012

Everyone was kind and helpful, even lent us swimming towel for the beach! Liked the basket of useful things that we might have needed and use of a fridge. The room was comfortable and well decoratated with a nice bathroom. The pension is well placed, near the beach, town and good places to go out - we'll be going back!

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 24, 2011

The San Nicolas was clean, comfortable and very well located near the heart of the old city. Our room and the bathroom had been decorated relatively recently, they struck us as being pretty new. Carolina had thought of a lot of details to make our stay more pleasant. She was prepared to offer a choice of rooms on our arrival, there were shade umbrellas for us to use at the beach (which was only minutes away), and then she had suntan lotion available in case we had forgotten ours. Whenever we met she took the time to stop and chat to make sure everything was okay. While we were a few blocks off the main street of San Vicente we were surrounded by restuarant choices, shopping and tourist sites such as the Esplanada de España, the Castillo and the quaint barrio of Santa Cruz. One drawback was the noise in the street at night, the fact that we were in Alicante during the week that Spain was playing Scotland in the qualifying round for the European Cup did not help. Great value, great location and a great hostess! Thanks Carolina!

• Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple