“Nice Place for a Longer-Term Stay” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of La Villa Universitaria

La Villa Universitaria
Chicago, Illinois
“Nice Place for a Longer-Term Stay”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 3, 2012

I lived here for the entire month of May 2012 and was thoroughly pleased. I noticed that there were not any English reviews, so I figured I would give it a shot! :)

I stayed here while I took a monthlong course at the University of Alicante. You can't ask for a better location in terms of the school, which was nice because I am NOT a morning person and rolling out of bed with a 15 minute walk to my building on campus (it is a large campus and my building was on the other side) certainly still beats taking a 40-minute bus ride in from the city would not have been fun at that time of the morning.

However, when it comes to everything else, you need to take a bus into town. (The beach, the port, most shopping, etc. is around 40 minutes away) You can, however, walk to the San Vicente outlets in about 20 minutes, which has a nice movie theater and a couple of restaurants.

Obviously if you are looking for a vacation spot I would certainly stay in Alicante, close to the beach, because San Vicente (where the Villa is located), is not close.

However, for taking a class, I thought this was a great option!

Front desk staff was a mixed bag: some were friendly, others were very cold. I would strongly recommend only staying here if you speak Spanish or have a Spanish-speaking companion to help you. I did not get the impression that anyone spoke much English, however they do offer an English version of their website, which gives me the impression that perhaps they have one or two members of their staff that DO speak English.

I did not see the "hotel" side meant for shorter term travelers. I was in the "dorm" side meant for longer term travelers. In this case, we had a small mini-fridge and microwave that I shared with another girl who I never officially met. There is two doors in your room, both which lock. One that leads you to the little microwave/kitchenette area (no room for seating), and then splits off into two rooms (which also lock).

Boy, was she loud! The noise was my #1 complaint. I generally could not hear anyone else in the hallway, but the walls were paper thin between our rooms.

They offer the option to do full or half board in the cafeteria. I would recommend full board unless you plan on going out every night - as your room will only be equipped with a mini-fridge and microwave. This would be okay if Spain offered more microwavable options but it is nearly impossible to find at any grocery store! I was stuck making sandwiches any time I wanted to dine in.

There is also a "restaurant" which consists of a few dividers sectioning off a little corner in the cafeteria. Never tried it because it was sort of expensive.

Their cafeteria is OK - some days the food is funkier than others and nearly inedible, other days it is ok. I prefer when they cook Spanish food over anything else, generally a lot tastier.

The rooms were very nice, incredibly clean and a nice size. The housekeeper was a total sweetheart and she made my week every time (comes once a week, day depending on floor you are on).

There is also a pool and a gym. The pool was nice, very clean, but WAY too freezing! :( No seating by the pool though, so bring your towel!

I didn't go to the gym, but I heard that the machines were always broken.

While it would have been nice to be closer to the "action" of Alicante, I enjoyed being so close to the school and the cleanliness of the building.

I also always felt very secure.

My room card would always stop working every 3 days, which was very annoying considering it was never near my phone or other credit cards! I kept trying to move the card to a new spot in my purse but I never did figure out if it was my fault or theres.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled solo
      Cleanliness
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
3 Thank hollyx113

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room Tips
Also consider these accommodations in or near Alicante
Villa Alojamiento Y Congresos
Ensanche Diputación
La City
La City
#20 of 49 in Alicante

Been to La Villa Universitaria? Share your experiences!