“Great value for money”
Review of La City

La City
Ranked #20 of 50 Hotels in Alicante
Reviewed July 17, 2011

Stayed here with some friends in July 2011. I thought the price was great as it had breakfast included, and as a lot of places push their prices up in July and August, we got a great deal.

The rooms are great, spacious, clean, and although it's on a busy street there was no noise whatsoever. It's literally right next to the train station, which is great if you need to catch the train somewhere or have been dropped off there by the airport bus. It's not next to the beach but Alicante is a small city so it's only a 15 or 20 minute walk away.

The breakfast had the usual basics (juice, coffee, ham, cheese, fruit, croissants), which was fine for us really and no less than we expected.

There was always someone on reception and we liked the fact that the guy who was there in the early hours still greeted us with a smile despite the time!

So all-in-all if you're just looking for a place to stay that's clean and comfortable I recommend it.

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled with friends
3  Thank markoCR

Reviewed July 14, 2011

There were absolutely no frills to this hotel but it was safe and the rooms were clean (except a slightly musty shower). The rooms were narrow as were the hallways but it is right across the street from the train station, and you cant beat that at all. You can easily walk to the central square and from there to the beach. All in all, you would pay a lot more for a comparable room in the US this close to the beaches. All in all I would give it a solid B.

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled with family
3  Thank manu4t
Reviewed June 13, 2011

I booked a last minute flight to Alicante the week before last, and used a price comparison website to find a late deal on a hotel. The price seemed reasonable so I checked directly on the hotel website and saw the difference between a standard room and a junior suite was barely anything - so I reserved the last junior suite for three nights at €75 a night with breakfast. For the standard of the hotel this was extremely reasonable and I would have been prepared to pay a lot more.

I was concerned about car parking as I was hiring a car for our trip and the hotel website explains that parking is available at Alicante Train Station opposite. You go straight to the train station car park, take a ticket and get it stamped once a day at the hotel, then take it to the booth at the car park when you want to take your car out and then the zero the cost of the ticket and the hotel adds €10 to your room bill - extremely good value as the car park is €20 per day usually.

The junior suite I reserved was extremely clean upon arrival, the usual large flatscreen tv, minibar with soft drinks were available, a very large private balcony with 2 sun loungers and a 6 seater table was outside and the bathroom was just right.

Breakfast was a simple bread/ham/cheese selection with croissants and preserves and coffee and fresh orange juice available - self serve - perfect for those proactive enough to serve themselves!

The reception staff were very friendly and welcoming making the stay even more enjoyable.

Room service is outsourced to telepizza - a local delivery service - and they can't speak English - If you struggle with Spanish, ask the reception staff to call and order for you - they did for us!

Only one negative point, our room wasn't made up on the third day - I didn't complain or check whether it should have been but I was a little disappointed that we didn't have clean towels.

We would definitely stay here again - thoroughly enjoyed!

Room Tip: lacity.com for comparison of suites/standard room!
  • Stayed: June 2011, traveled as a couple
2  Thank mjt1986
Reviewed October 21, 2010

We arrived here late and left by early train. This is why we stayed here, as it is opposite the train station. The hotel is easy walking distance to bars and restaurants in the city centre. The hotel is very simple and room was nothing to write home about, but everything worked ok. We were put in a front facing room, above the road, and I imagine that once the morning traffic gets going it would be noisy (we left too early to prove this). For 70 euros in our view it was overpriced.

• Stayed: October 2010, traveled on business
Reviewed October 8, 2010

Very nice modern hotel just across from the rail station, really good rooms, clean and with good air con, good bath room large and clean.

Nice small cafe on ground floor, staff are very good and will help you out with any information you need.

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled solo
1  Thank redplm
Reviewed July 13, 2010

I stayed here with a friend over an extended weekend and it was better than we had expected. Our room was large, very clean, and very modern. The service staff was more than nice and helpful. The computer downstairs has free internet and was very useful for looking up various things. It is a 15 walk to the beach and port area and a 5-10 minute walk to other trendy restaurants and shops. There are a few tapas restaurants right around the corner so make sure you ask the staff to point you in the right direction ;)

• Stayed: November 2009, traveled with friends
1  Thank guan66
Reviewed March 18, 2010

I was passing through Alicante and so stayed at this hotel for only one night. I got my dates mixed up and arrived one month early! Still, they gave me a room right away. This is a modern hotel and what struck me about it was that it sparkled...it was so clean. The next thing I noticed was that it was close to all the sights - easy walking. There was also a free computer with internet access. I wish I had more time to visit this city and I would definitely stay at this hotel again.

• Stayed: February 2010, traveled solo