“Best Holiday Ever !”

Ranked #3 of 6 Hotels in Guia de Isora
north london
“Best Holiday Ever !”
Reviewed August 25, 2009

My husband and I have two young children aged 4 and 2. We were looking for a family holiday where we could enjoy the children but also relax (I am a spa addict!) and spend quality time with each other. We used a travel agent recommended through a friend called Tots Too - they specialise in luxary holidays for families with young kids and all their hotels have top of the range spa's - exactly what we were looking for.

The Abama hotel was absoultely incredible and believe me my standards are HIGH! It was most definitely a 5 star with all the frills. Tots Too got us an upgrade to a suite with a sea view as well as two free nights. Our suite was huge and absolutely lovely. The bathroom was stunning with all the amenities. The food was fantastic across all the restaurents but I have to say the best part for us was their brilliant kids club and set up for kids. They had so many different pools there. I really recommend one of the activities we scheduled before we went out. We arranged for a swimming instructor to come to the hotel every day and teach both our kids to swim. Our daughter (4) was swimming on her own after the second day and our son (2) was almost swimming by the end of our two week trip. The instructor was called Jordie and apparently he is the teacher to the hotels managing directors son. If you are planning a trip there I really recommend asking for him before you go. It only cost $25 per hour and the kids loved every second (and so did we !)

I had a spa treatment every day which was heaven. I really recommend the therapist Maria. She was unbelievable and such a wonderful person with incredible healing powers.

Oh - another thing worth mentioning, my son is only 2 but their kids club goes from 3+years (which is free) otherwise the kids go into the baby abami which you have to pay for. I wanted my kids to stay together so I said that our son was 3 (a bit of a fib) so we didnt have to pay and they remained together. I definitely recommend this tip!

The best part was the kids club stayed open till midnight and as we didnt have to pay for our kids to go my husband and I were able to go out to eat together while the kids had loads of fun in the club. In fact the kids stayed up most nights till about 11 which meant they slept in till 10 every morning. Sheer bliss!!

The kids club were brilliant with all their activities - they made buscuits, went on a visit to see the hotel chef where they all made pizza's, painted, watched movie's, played football outside - loads of great fun activities lined up every day for them.

They also had a beautiful private beach within the hotel complex. What I loved about the beach and in fact all the pools too was the little area of kids toys which they made available to all the guests. No need to worry about not providing the bucket and spade - it was all there courtesy of the hotel.

My husband played golf on a few occassions and said the golf course was one of the best he has played on. He was gone for hours so he must have had a great time! The hotel kindly offered for him to take part in their annual tournamant too.

We didnt leave the hotel once. Next year we are booking for three weeks. We are already planning our next holiday over October half term. Tots Too have recommended the Porto Sani Village in Greece. If any one has been there Id lov to hear your thoughts.
Thanks to our wonderful friends at Tots Too and lets hope the next holiday is as good as the last. :)

Adious Amigos
x

• Stayed June 2009, traveled with family
2 Thank LondonJewishPrincess

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (457)
  • Greek first
  • Polish first
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 11, 2009

We were looking for a comfortable family holiday no more than 4 hours flight from London and were suggested the Abama by a very helpful Emma at Totstoo. Her recommendation did not disappoint.

The property is a very nice property - big, loads of activites, loads of restaurants - a place where both families and couples could find what they are looking for. Rooms are very clean and modern - it was a one-bed suite in their Citadel i.e. main building. The staff could not have been more accomodating - nothing was too much trouble. We were there with 2 kids - a 8mth old and a 3yr old. My 3yr old loved the place - the food - the pool - the beach. She was not into the kids club but I could see the facilities were of very high standard. I didn't get a chance to play golf - but the course looked faily challenging.

TIPS
1. Do not take the hotel limo to/from the airport. It is 4 times the cost of a normal cab - which are very easy to come by.
2. If travelling with kids - carry some DVDs as most rooms have a player and their collection at the hotel is small.
3. Stock up on all the free water you can at the pool/house keeping as the minibar is EUR 3 each.
4. Kids eat free lunch by the main pool and dinner is free at Pampa - Verona if parents eat too.
5. Kids club (if you kids will go) is free and open until midnight. A much cheaper option to the EUR 30 per hour babysitting (not even the Burj charges that much).
6. If you plan to do room service - ask for the menus of all the restaurants as they all are delivered to your room so you are not stuck with just the limited room service menu.
7. Recommend the Villas for couples and Citadel for familes (though some kids would love the private buggies)
8. Spend a bit of your first day exploring the hotel - it has loads of little nooks and corners worth checking out - we didn't discover lunch at the Mirador until our last day - the views from there are fantastic.
9. The beach is a public beach - so be ready for a busy weekend at the beach.

Now that I have been there once I am more aware of a few things and would know what to expect. Prior to arrival we did not expect to pay EUR 30 per hour for baby sitting - the hotel had told us over the phone it was EUR 12 per hour (this threw a damper on our holiday and pretty much most families we spoke to). Coke (small 200ml bottle) is EUR 5. Expect to pay anywhere from EUR 150 +++++ for all your meals/drinks etc per day per couple.

Overall, I would still rate this as a great family hotel and destination (the hotel to us is the destination)

Stayed August 2009, traveled with family
2 Thank s s
KENT, UK
Reviewed August 10, 2009

Although we were quite wary of visiting abama in August we had a fabulous time. It was our second visit and the children loved the kids club even more. It is now open until midnight, so that helped with babysitting charges.During the day when they were in the club I was at the adults only pool. Pure heaven. So relaxing. Husband played golf, but course was still not very busy. If you visit abama you must try some of the complimentary experiences which includes wine tasting and various cooking classes. I had always wonderd how they made that Mojo sauce. The kids really loved the whale watching and we saw dolpins too. All in all another great stay and with the offers they had on it worked out cheaper than last time. There is only one problem. The kids now want to go back for October half term. But hey..if the children are happy.. so are we.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled with family
belfast
Reviewed July 31, 2009

Just arrived back to ireland from staying two weeks in the Abama.

I have stayed in some of the best hotels 3 star 4star 5star --- abama rated as three star.

waited 1 hr for are room . then went back to reception to obtain are room keys etc...waited there another ten minutes i then decided to crack up and ask for the manager..sorry he is not available...mm funny he is standing outside the front with the so called vips for the wedding!!
i then asked someone show us to are room , to which this jump up blonde manageress saying i will show you ...walked us down the corridor and then put us onto to cleaner to show us to the room!! i was fuming at this stage...

she walked about the hotel with attitude this women...love your white lined suit by the way!!

on are arrival there was a wedding at the hotel taking place that evening ( The owners son ) well the whos who of spain where at the resort ..so the hotel decided to block of the hotel for the residences and all we could eat was at the beach restaurant - with 2 hrs waiting time wrong food arived main courses as starters etc service terrible with flies everywhere.

i could go into so much detail about this hotel ...thank goodness for the brealfast staff they made the stay so much easier..but a word of warning..stay well clear

did not charge us for the dinner as they realised there was such a [--] up.

flies flies flies i cracked up with this in the resort . breakfast lunch dinner . ever around pool..

Business Center - more like a teenager interent cafe all on the like of bebo --waited everyday for at least 15 mins to get a postion to do some business...disaster

Restaurant - overpriced bad service

except breakfast and the restaurant beside the pool as the same staff at breakfast man the operation at lunch time

resort to far out with taxi costing approx 25 euro each way into town..we decided to eat out of the resort after the fourth night of disasterous food and service...

the only thing i would say is the Kabuki restaurant is excellent with amazing service and camille the manager an asset to the hotel...thank you so much for a great time and your staff an assett...food woww service woww two many thanks..

to sum it up -- stay well clear to many mishaps to mention here -

hotel had 36% occupancy with the main reastaurant closed ..

• Stayed July 2009, traveled with family
3 Thank controleruk
London
Reviewed July 16, 2009

We just returned from a week with our 4 year old, there is absolutely nothing I could fault the hotel for overall. Yes it's not super cheap but you're getting 5 star treatment. We could just about drag our 4 year old out of the kids club they had such great activities and the staff were lovely, beach is excellent for young children and adults. Rooms (we had standard ocean view) were huge for us 3. the one thing to highlight is that it is quite isolated ie you can't walk anywhere from the hotel, so I reccomend having a car so at least you can get out and sample a few other restaurants and soak up a bit of spainish culture. Came back fully relaxed, yep even with a 4 year old!

• Stayed June 2009, traveled with family
paris
Reviewed July 15, 2009

I spent 10 days in February with my family (spouse and young children 4 and 8). It has been a fabulous experience. We were in a one bedroom suite in the villas and the hotel had placed two extra beds in the living room for the children, which was perfect. The main bedroom was very spacious with its private terrace facing the ocean and I could even see the gardens from my bathtub!!!. Being in the villas and not in the main building we were provided a buggy which the kids really enjoyed, and could indulge in some great tanning sessions by the private pool (great for intimacy!)

The restaurants were excellent and we found that for a 3 Michelin stars’ restaurant M.B was not that expensive especially for such an incredible experience. The Japanese restaurant Kabuki was really good too and the plates quite surprising as the Chef gives an unusual “Tenerife” twist to them.

The children had a great time too and loved the activities at the kids club … which allowed me and my husband to have some time together and enjoy the spa, the tennis, the golf ...

Overall it was great and we definitely recommend this hotel where we already plan to come back.

• Stayed February 2009, traveled with family
galway
Reviewed July 13, 2009

once we arrived to the abama we were very impressed,staff were very freindly and efficient and we were offered some champagne on arrival which was lovley,our bedroom was beautiful with a very spacious balcony and lovely view.unfortuntley the main swimming pool was being renovated,to me at a stupid time of year,which was unfortunate as the adult pool was also used as a kiddies pool.Breakfast in hotel was excellent .food in resteraunts were good but not excellent,best value for money at night was la pampa and verona but overall this hotel was extremley overpriced for example a gin and tonic 16euro or a burger at the beach 17euro,in my eyes no wonder the bar was dead at night as nobody drank in it as the only entertainment at night was a man playing a piano and with drinks that expensive you wouldnt drink too much.we were so bored at night as people were not drinking in the bar and we were so far from costa adeje were you would have a bit of life that we were in bed by ten every night.I felt with it being a fivestar hotel they could have shuttle buses in and out of town.I had looked at so many great reviews for this hotel but i wouldnt overrate it and wouldnt ever go back.In a nutshell if you want to go to this hotel makesure you dont mind being isolated and being in bed by ten .

• Stayed June 2009, traveled as a couple
1 Thank zaragalway
Also consider these accommodations in or near Guia de Isora
Gran Melia Palacio de Isora Resort & Spa
Vincci Seleccion La Plantacion del Sur
IBEROSTAR Grand Hotel El Mirador
Hotel Botanico & The Oriental Spa Garden
Hotel Botanico & The Oriental Sp...
#2 of 80 in Puerto de la Cruz
4.5 of 5 bubbles 1,537 reviews
RedLevel at Gran Melia Palacio de Isora
Bahia del Duque
Bahia del Duque
#10 of 57 in Costa Adeje
4.5 of 5 bubbles 2,050 reviews

Been to The Ritz-Carlton, Abama? Share your experiences!