“Great winter family getaway”

The Ritz-Carlton, Abama
Ranked #3 of 6 Hotels in Guia de Isora
surrey
“Great winter family getaway”
Reviewed February 24, 2013

Had a great half term holiday at this hotel. Had 2 interconnecting rooms which were large and very comfortable. Facilities were just as advertised and catered for all. We were with our 2 teenagers and 6 year old and they all enjoyed themselves. We were on the half board option and would recommend booking the restaurants in advance as the buffet option is very much like a school canteen, although with better food. We particularly enjoyed El Mirador the fish restaurant but could only get a table on one night. All restaurants offered a good children's menu which meant we could try the tapas bar and not worry about what the youngest would eat. There was always sunbeds available and found the staff all very welcoming and attentive.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
4 Thank smilesathome

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (457)
  • Greek first
  • Polish first
London, UK
Reviewed February 12, 2013 via mobile

Stayed with family for a week. Superb location on hillside rolling down to the sea, excellent kids club, truly outstanding rooms, great funicular, excellent private beach, friendly staff, great Adult pool, excellent michelin resto. Breakfast is an animalistic scrum for tables, and some of the Restos are poor (eg the tapas bar), unbelievably slow drinks service at dinner Also the swimming facilities for good swimmers are non existent, no lanes etc.

Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank Highgate_Wanderer
Kendal, United Kingdom
Reviewed February 10, 2013

This has been our second visit to this fantastic hotel and definatly not our last.
Once your over your flight from Blackpool, which is always longer than you think. I suggest that you close your eyes through the general 'dross' that is Tenerife until you reach the safe sanctuary of the 'Abama'. You will then be in a bubble of peace and soothing harmony for your entire stay.
Tagor Villas is the place to go. No children, no noise, no hassle. Just the company of the Blackbirds singing in the mornings whilst eating breakfast looking out to sea.

The restaurants in the Hotel are nothing to write home about and very expensive. But there are some good honest fish and tapas places very close by.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
3 Thank George136
Bedford, United Kingdom
Reviewed February 10, 2013

A generally brilliant stay from all aspects of the hotel. We never needed to leave the hotel once and the hotel was in its own little bubble which is exactly what we were after.

Breakfast needs special mention as it is amazing.

The only one gripe I can think of is at weekends the locals come to the private beach and it gets very crowded. Not as massive problem though as we just went and sat round one of the pools.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank BenandEmo
London
Reviewed February 9, 2013

Stayed there for 9 days in Feb '13 with my family (2 year old daughter). We loved the hotel, great views, very nice pools and pool service, great beach (rare in teneriffe). Atmosphere was relaxed but elegant. Hotel service very friendly. great kids club (but only from 4 years old, below that age you have to supervise your kid there). There were many children, personnel very child friendly. Free newspapers and lots of toys for kids at the beach and pools. Rooms very generous (we had a seaside suite in the main hotel). There are several great pools, esp liked the adults only pool with fantastic views. We looked at the villas and found them a bit underwhelming, but heard the tangor villas are great (adults only, allows you to have breakfast in the mirador restaurant). Restaurants are great (ate at Mirador beautiful overlooking the sea and Kabuki - fantastic japanese experience). Although restaurants/drinks are quite expensive. We had booked breakfast only and in the evenings went a few times to the next village (5 min by car) where you had nice tapas (Jamon Jamon on the promenade) for less than half the price. Also in the Reataurants/pool each Cola is 5 euros. Golf course very impressive, fantastic views over the hotel/sea on almost every hole. Very tough though for the weaker golfer. buggy mandatory. Good driving range. Golf course was quite crowded in February despite the hotel not being full and play was slow, which was a pity. Heard when hotel is full restaurants can become crowded and one needs to book in advance etc, which might make it less enjoyable, one employee even told my wife she would avoifd the hotel in the high season. We had a fantastic holiday and loved the hotel very much.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
3 Thank HH-Volksdorf
Wales
Reviewed February 7, 2013 via mobile

Writing this on the day of departure from the Abama Hotel. Stayed one week in the Tagor Villas and have had a wonderful time relaxing and generally being spoiled. Our room is gorgeous and compares well to Caribbean hotels we have stayed in. We're on a bed and breakfast deal and have found meals and drinks very expensive as others have said. £25 for two gin and tonics is not an exaggeration! But thanks to the forewarnings of Trip Advisor we arrived with enough duty free for the week so avoided the main bar unless we fancied a treat.

Service at the Tagor pool has been excellent. White wine, beer and soft drinks available all day with nuts and olives if you ask for them- and the occasional bit of fruit, fish etc for you to try but alas, not really enough to keep you going between breakfast and dinner. There's a pool menu, but that's at room service prices (€15 for a burger and fries). Breakfast for the villas is in the El Mirador restaurant which is adult only and very good: mostly self service, except for a la carte options and hot items. The Cava provided made great Mimosas with the fresh orange juice! Only downside was that smoking was allowed on the terrace which on occasion spoiled it.

We ate at Wine Bar (tapas), La Veranda (buffet), Pampa & Verona (Italian) and the wonderful MB. All good meals but again very pricey. Aside from MB expect to pay around £120 for a two course meal with one modest bottle of wine. MB was nearer £300 but worth it! Fabulous experience and amazing food.

Some travellers on here state that there's nowhere to go nearby.. If you pay €5 in a taxi and go to San Juan, there's a little marina/beach and a great little tapas bar called Jamon Jamon. Had wonderful tapas and dessert, with two bottles of wine and coffees there for €75 - delightful and much better value than the hotel.

All in all, a great holiday with great service - just a little on the pricey side! If you know what to expect and still come, I'd think you won't be disappointed.

• Stayed February 2013
6 Thank AndrewandSarah
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed February 6, 2013

I have just returned from a one week golfing break. This was my third year, in a row, that I have been to Abama and I am very sorry to see a a marked deterioration from last year. I have stayed in many Ritz Carlton hotels over the world and alas this is the poorest one that I have stayed in for reasons which will come later. It is interesting that the hotel is very busy. I have never seen the golf course so packed.
The hotel is magnificent in its setting, the pools are superb and the staff are very willing and helpful. Could not be better.
I had booked a room with a sea view and was told, on checking in, that I was being upgraded. The room they gave me was poky and dark with an overhung and semi- closed balcony . Having arrived at 9.15pm, I decided that it was OK for the night. The next morning when I complained, I was given a magnificent room on the 10th floor overlooking the sea with sun all day on the large balcony. The hotel gives you bedroom slippers and I found out why..... the marble bedroom and bathroom floors are filthy. If you walk about in bare feet then the soles of your feet are pitch black in no time at all . I told the chambermaid, showed her my black soles, and she put a large towel down over the bathroom floor !!!!.The bathroom goodies are fine but the towels were very harsh, more like a loofah, not soft as they should be in this class of hotel
Since last year they have changed the restaurants. The buffet breakfast is good.The help yourself orange juice and Nespresso coffee are excellent. The breads are first class.
Where, in my opinion, the hotel has come unstuck, and why I am writing this report, is how they cater for someone like myself on half-board.For my evening meal I basically had the choice of the buffet in the breakfast room, the Tapas bar or the Italian restaurant.
For the last two years I always ate in the Italian restaurant and it was really first class and I could have pretty well anything on the menu. This year the hotel managers changed the whole restaurant set up and also the menu. To make it brief,in the fairly limited menu, the really nice dishes carried a hefty supplement. As it happened I did not really fancy the menu, anyway, so I ate in the buffet.
My wife does not " do buffets"... why ? because the food is under lights and is invariably tepid or cold, and so it was here. The deserts were very limited, The fruit salad was melon and different coloured melon. When you are paying good hard earned money you do expect certain standards and I am afraid to say that this restaurant fell well below what I expected. I was rather upset about all this so I brought the hotel manager down to the restaurant and, along with the restaurant manager, I walked them around the stations to show them what was going on.. I believe that they took in what I had to say and indeed the next time that I attended things had improved considerably. I should not have had to do this and I told them so.
From my chats with the staff, there has been a change of management this year and frankly I do not think that it was for the better. Nice though the setting is, the pools and the fabulous golf course, it is with some sadness that I shall not return next year to Abama.

Room Tip: Ask for the 3rd room first, certainly do not take the first