“wonderful stay at Abama”

The Ritz-Carlton, Abama
Ranked #2 of 8 Hotels in Guia de Isora
Reviewed November 8, 2012

I just came back from a wonderful stay at this beautiful resort. The service was excellent, great restaurants ( I really adored the MB & Mirador restaurant) and a really nice room with stunning sea views. I would recomend this hotel for everyone who is looking for a nice place to relax and who wants to enjoy a personalised service.

Room Tip: the sea view suites are stunning.
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Laura L
Write a ReviewReviews (2,581)

Reviewed November 7, 2012

Stayed here with friends in August 2012. Hotel was very luxurious and rooms were very well equiped. Would definitely return. Only 1 issue was that service in the restuarants was slow on occasions but overall the staff were fantastic.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank AMCRHarrogate
Reviewed November 5, 2012

Worst service we have received in any hotel for a very long time. Possibly ever.
It was laughable or would have been had we not paid 5 star prices. Do not go there if you appreciate any kind of service for even the basics. We have a list of over 20 serious failings in just 4 days over half term.

Stayed: October 2012, traveled with family
22  Thank David c
Reviewed November 4, 2012

Spent 4 nights here influenced by a write up by Steven Gerrards wife in "Hello" magazine! The breakfast experience in the "Veranda" restaurant was completely awful, the food was sub standard and the noise level was reminiscent of a school canteen! After this we skipped breakfast as there was no alternative in the hotel for children under 14 years!!The 2nd night, my childrens bathroom was running yellow water so the hotel advised us to move to a different room and they would move our things whilst out to dinner. Our only option out of the 5 RESTAURANTS was the "Veranda" restaurant, (AGAIN) we decided to look at the food on offer; or dine out. We decided to stay ONLY as the effort to go out seemed an unattractive option but alas so was staying in the "Veranda"!! they ran out of THE duck and i did not fancy the dried up steak; so they offered to cook a "special cut of beef"!! Alas, 25 mins later the kids had finished and I was still waiting for my main course!! We decided to leave but whilst trying to sign off the bill the the waiter decided to start dealing with another member of staff and so i high tailed it!! The drama did not stop here! The childrens' things were not in the new room on our return, so I duly made a complaint to Reception who deducted the cost of the buffet dinner. The next day unbelievably , the kids room was running stinking yellow water, the really odd thing was that the new room was blocks apart from the old room, yet when I spoke to the Manager he apparently knew nothing of this problem. I cannot believe that we were so unlucky that it happened in room 815 and again in 494! I expressed my unhappiness to the Manager "Ted" who was a very nice helpful person and he deducted the cost of dinner! The kids bathed in my room that evening. The morning of our departure when packing; my teenage daughter realised that she was missing bedding that we had bought in England for our apartments in Golf del Sur! I reported this to reception and the Assistant Director of Housekeeping and Laundry;Luca Pierucci I explained that we would leave the island on the 1st November and He instructed the reception person to not deduct anything from the bill for the misssing laundry and that he would call me when they had looked for it. Obviously I have now left the island and I email Luca Pierucci days before I left but alas i have been ignored! Maybe if you book with Expedia (like us) you get a severly sub- standard service or maybe the Ritz Carlton group do not consider that the Abama, being in Tenerife; should offer a first class service! I would like to add to this comment that we stayed at the Ritx Carlton Laguna Beach , California in August and the staff and hotel are beyond exceptional, so what is going on in Tenerife?????? My final comment is for Alex Gerrard is IF- YOU CANNOT DO BETTER THAN THIS ON YOUR HUSBANDS SALARY WE ARE ALL IN ALOT OF TROUBLE!! The hotel has a lovely location but exterior awful please update everything to reflect the prices!!

6  Thank JulieRLondon
Reviewed November 1, 2012

The first time you see the hotel it gives you the impression of oppresion- a huge terracota building with lots of palms surrounding it- Just the first impression!
Being honest the hotel it's really picturesque at night. All lights on and you have the feeling that, you are in wonderland...some of Disney's cartoons. Awe-inspiring! Even romantic!
Great views from room 913, exquisite food at El Mirador restaurant and a great atmosphera at Pampa Verona restaurant.
Breakfasts not the big thing though! If I may compare then Bahia del Duque has a huge choice and delicious in all senses breakfast!
One big big plus: it has its own beach! Beaches in Tenerife all municipal but due to its location there's actually just few locals coming to make use of it, so 95% the beach belongs to the hotel guests..
You a party-goer?? then the hotel is not the place for you! Just 25 minutes from Las Americas but no interesting places by.

Room Tip: Rooms 911,912,913 have wonderful views. Sunny terrace but NO wifi available. That area has some issu...
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled on business
2  Thank RARS
Reviewed October 30, 2012

This was my first visit to Abama Resort and Tenerife, however my family had stayed at the hotel four times previously and felt it was a good destination for us all to stay. While the hotel and its grounds are fantastic and certainly 5 star, the service was lacking and spoiled our stay on a number of occasions.

Some of the issues we encountered were the following:

- Check-In to the hotel took a long time. While we did get a complementary glass of Cava while we waited, but an hour to go over everything seemed excessive.

- One of the first issues we encountered was during check-in when the receptionist told us that we would need to make dinner reservations straight away, as all the restaurants were very busy. We thought this was odd given that it wasn't half-term holidays or summer, also upon arriving at the main buffet restaurant that was so hard to get a reservation for, there was hardly anyone there! We found out the next day from a staff member that due to it no longer being peak season, they don't have the same number of staff, as such they won't fill the restaurants anywhere near capacity because they don't have staff for the tables and kitchen. As a result we booked all the other restaurants we wanted to visit during the rest of the week straight away; we did encounter a couple who had arrived after us and couldn't get reservations anywhere and so had to leave the resort to find dinner elsewhere!

- The hotel has three Bars; one in the lobby area which has an outdoor section, then an African themed one which is more or less right next to it and finally a sports bar. The African bar was closed the entire time we were there and while the sports bar was open in the evening, there weren't any staff inside. The Lobby Bar was horribly understaffed, there was one bartender mixing drinks and then at the very most, two members of staff waiting on tables. One of our worst experiences was when we had sat down and been waiting for 20 minutes and nobody came to take an order. We had to go up to the bar and ask for a waiter to come over and take an order. Eventually a waiter came over and the drinks were ordered, but it took another 30 minutes for them to arrive! At that point it was time for us to go to our dinner reservation, so it was a total waste of time having a pre-dinner drink! I also need to point out that this isn't a really busy bar, there were only a couple of handfuls of tables in use. We encountered other guests who had the same problem. It is simply just that with too little staff and only one person making drinks it takes forever.

- One other little niggle about the bar. I asked for a drink using Cranberry juice, only to be looked at like I was making a really strange request, I was then informed they didn't have any. On the drinks menu it actually states that they have Cranberry juice, so I wasn't sure why it seemed so strange to ask for it. While I appreciate that stock can run out if that was the case, my experience of many other 5 star hotels is that they will send somebody elsewhere in the hotel to find what is needed if they don't have it. No such thing here though.

- The Beach Restaurant at the weekend was incredibly busy at lunch time and we had to put our name down to wait for a table. We sat at the bar while we waited for a table, which turned out to be a trying experience. We had waited over 30 minutes for a table, and were appalled to discover that one impatient woman who arrived after us had hassled the maitre d' for a table and he had just given in and let her have it. When we enquired as to why he had let her have the table when we had been waiting, he just tried to make an excuse and walked off. The next day, we again had our name down for a table, just as the maitre d' took us to the table, it appeared that one of the other waiting staff had said that a group who had just arrived could sit at the table which was ready for us. The Maitre d' explained that they couldn't sit there, but they now wouldn't leave the table, I can see their point though that if a staff member said they could. Luckily this embarrassing argument was then diffused by the fact that another table had just become free so he backed down.

It was clear to us that the biggest issue with the restaurant is that it was confused about what it was. It isn't a cafe, but due to there being a couple of access points and it being outdoors and open, people would just sit down at a table, which doesn't work at all when there is a waiting list for people wanting a table. Further to that, there was a lack of communication between staff, it should have been the Maitre d' doing all table decisions and it was clear that the guy in charge was fairly incompetent. We wrote a letter to the Manager after this and also explained the problem we had with waiting time in the Lobby Bar. A couple of days later, we were tracked down in the Beach restaurant by the resort's Food and Drink Manager. He had been passed our complaint by the General Manager and both apologised and thanked us for our comments. He had acted straight away and put in what was a clear front of house for the restaurant, along with a number of temporary signs that said 'Please Wait To Be Seated', which he said would later be replaced with proper signs. So that was good to see them actually acting on a complaint. As an apology, they organised to have a complementary bottle of champagne ready for us in the restaurant we were dining in that night.

- Further to the complaint we made, the General Manager left us a note inviting us to his cocktail party with the intention of discussing the issues we had. Unfortunately this wasn't at all as positive as we had hoped it would be. Unlike 'Manager's Cocktail Parties' we have seen at other hotels, where you would be standing and greeted with a drink, we arrived to find that everybody was sat down at tables and there were no drinks waiting. Instead you sat down and a staff member took your drink order, but as a result of being sat at tables, none of the guests mingled like when you are stood up. The General Manager came over, clocked who we were, but didn't even give us a chance to discuss anything, he just said he hoped our stay would be better and was gone before we even really got a word in! We didn't understand why he had stated that he wanted to discuss things when he acted in such a dismissive manner.

- The resort is based on a hill, with the golf course at the very top, then the main hotel, followed by a number of villas, then finally the El Mirador restaurant and the lift which takes you down the cliffs to the beach. Due to things being a bit of a walk, the hotel has a number of large golf buggies that they use for shuttling guests to these locations. The only problem was that these weren't run frequently enough. We twice waited 30 minutes for one at the golf club. In the evening, we waited 20 minutes just to get one from the El Mirador back up to the hotel. A couple of times, the guy driving the buggy had been a hotel doorman who had to leave his position unattended to go and get guests. Again, I believe this showed that they were understaffed.

- One evening I returned to the room to find that the maids had taken all the towels from the bathroom and not replaced them. We put in a call to reception/house keeping and they said they would send some up straight away. An hour later and we still had no towels, so I called again and they apologised and again said they would send some round. Another 30 minutes and still no towels! I needed a shower to get changed so went down to reception to complain and the the receptionist had to leave the desk herself to go and get some towels.

- Abama has a really nice, but very small beach which is accessed by a funicular lift down the cliffs. During our stay, the hotel hosted a large conference for a corporation. To begin with this didn't cause too much disruption as they are mostly using the conference centre. One morning though, we went down to the beach to find that it had been taken over by the conference in order to create a 'team building' set of challenges. The obstacle course was in front of the hotel sun beds, so just to be able to get to the water you had to try and get past it, but being such a small beach its not easy. When the event actually began in the afternoon, the people taking part were obviously enjoying themselves and quite rowdy, along with a DJ booth pumping out music. At that moment it seemed more like an 18-30 holiday than the relaxing 5 star resort they pride themselves on being. We thought that given the standard of the hotel, the least they could have done is drop a note to guests to tell them that there would be an event taking place on the beach which would cause disruption. I realise that hotels like this need to make money in the quieter months through conferences, but you should never be sacrificing the experience of your regular guests.

- The main pool is basically full of young children and babies, so it wasn't very appealing as it was noisy. There is a smaller 'Adults Only' pool and another pool area which is really only good for dipping yourself in and out. We personally stuck to the beach.

- Some of my family members played three rounds of Golf during our stay, having played the Abama course in the past. They commented that the greens were in a terrible condition, which was poor given that it was a very expensive course to play. This was something my Father brought up with the manager, but again nothing came of it.

- WiFi in the hotel is poor. The lobby area has free WiFi connection, but it wasn't very useable, with pages failing to load and such. In the rooms, you can access a WiFi network where you enter your details and you get the option to use it for free, but at just 128k speed, or you had the option to pay for a faster connection. Off the top of my head, it was something silly like €30 for 24 hours usage! Even then, I wouldn't have wanted to pay for a connection because the signal was so poor that you could barely get the network without it dropping off anyway. Plenty of other resorts do real free WiFi and have better signal strength, so I think that is something they need to look at improving.

- On our second night we ate at the bizarre Pampa Verona restaurant which is Italian crossed with Argentinian. According to my family, in the past it was two separate restaurants, but they have now merged it into one. What makes even less sense is that the menu is largely Italian, aside from an Argentinian sausage dish and a single steak dish that they offer, which despite what they say on the website isn't even Argentinian beef. Even worse is that my Sister had the steak and it came cold, so had to be sent back to the kitchen! I personally enjoyed my meal, but I think this is a restaurant that needs a bit of a rethink over its menu.

- My Father needed to print out some documents so went to the business centre. There he found that the printer didn't work. He had to go behind reception and use one of the concierge staff's computers to be able to print, which turned out to be a total hassle. I can't see how you would get any serious business work done here with poor WiFi and a badly maintained business centre.

While I have painted a bleak picture with the issues we had, it wasn't all doom and gloom.
The majority of staff were excellent and always greeted and smiled at you, from the reception staff down to the people tending the gardens that you passed on the way to the beach. The Hotel also clearly realised that some people want a more relaxing experience, given that the hotel caters for families with young children, and so they run a second restaurant for the breakfast buffet which is adults only. The gym and spa was very good and we really appreciated the free spa experience. The small beach is great and the water break means its excellent for swimming and snorkelling and quite safe for children too. El Mirador restaurant was nice and we ate there twice. M.B. was certainly worthy of its recent Michelin star and was an excellent evening. If you like Japanese food, then Kabuki Abama is worth a visit, the Chef has devised many dishes with his own twist, such as Hamburger Sushi and Fried Quail Egg Sushi with Truffle.

To conclude, unless the resort listens to experiences such as my own and that of others, I think its best to restrict stays to the summer season when they obviously must have the staff. Although I enjoyed my stay, I personally wouldn't choose to stay here again when you can get the level of service you are paying for elsewhere.

3  Thank Richard E
Reviewed October 30, 2012

We try and come to this hotel every year on our own,with friends and now we are here at October 1/2 term & Uni reading week ! In my opinion I think that this hotel is probably the best in Tenerife, but it does struggle on occasion to meet not unreasonable expectations of guests,however the poor service of previous years seem to have been addressed however
We haven't been lucky with the weather on this trip, as serious rain fall ( the first for over a year apparently) has hampered the guests stay, full capacity has shown up some cracks in the running. The bad weather has put strain on everyone wanting to be undercover during meal times and the rest of the day, not all restaurants are open and there is an intermittent rule on children's ages in some of them, which is infuriating when out for a meal and children either crying from fatigue or asleep at the table! (There are restaurants that cater for children and families) MB's restaurant (michelin starred) is only open 5 nights a week, perhaps should be more when hotel is groaning with residence, the hotel hasn't really got enough restaurants when its so full, so book before you come.
Internet is available at €25 pd! But works intermittently, in this day and age it should be free and work in a hotel of this caliber. You can book a golf buggy €30pd to get about the resort but how to secure one is a mystery as I tried 3 weeks prior to our stay, have asked daily while being here, but some have managed even though they have checked in after us!!!
On a more positive note, the hotel is well thought out and designed, beautiful tropical gardens and buildings, rooms are to a high standard, Golf course on site, a good Spa, a small but effective gym, white sand beach with a beach bar and plenty of swimming pools.
It is a lovely retreat , a bit like you would imagine the hanging gardens of Babylon to be!
A request for management is to reconsider the new rule of Mirador being closed at lunch time, it just has to be near perfect place to sit looking out onto the blue ocean with a chilled glass of wine in hand.

Room Tip: Villa delux rooms have a private swimming pool solely for that collective group of rooms
2  Thank Greg R
#2 of 60 in Costa Adeje
Royal Garden Villas
Royal Garden Villas
#6 of 60 in Costa Adeje

Been to The Ritz-Carlton, Abama? Share your experiences!