“The worst meal I've ever had anywhere in the Canaries”
Review of Las Estrellas

Las Estrellas
Ranked #36 of 98 Restaurants in Guia de Isora
Cuisines: Spanish
Newcastle, United Kingdom
“The worst meal I've ever had anywhere in the Canaries”
Reviewed November 28, 2013

We called in here for lunch on the way up to mount Teide. I’d been here a few years ago and remembered the views quite well; however I don't think I ate there at the time merely a drinks stop.

On this occasion we decided to have some lunch, after a browse of the menu our waiter recommended the special of the day, home cooked lamb shoulder. Our meal duly arrived some 5 minutes later, I wasn’t unduly concerned at the short time it had taken to cook, however when it arrived I was indeed astounded by a portion size. On each plate was what can only be described as two large lumps of bone with a roll of fat attached to each bone. The lamb that was actually attached to the bone wouldn’t have filled a small sandwich. And what there was, was completely inedible due to the massive amount of congealed fat. This was accompanied by a side order of canary potatoes which had been micro waved to state resembling shrivelled prunes. After some five minutes of attempting to plough my way through this offering I finally conceded defeat and asked for the bill. Here was another shock on the menu the lamb was £8 per portion, when the bill arrived our lamb was now £17, making a total bill of £57 for what I can safely say is the worst meal I have had the misfortune to suffer whilst anywhere in the canaries.
This restaurant is a complete tourist rip off....

• Visited November 2013

• Czech first
  • Finnish first
  • Polish first
“It's exactly what I expected”
Reviewed February 20, 2013

This is the only little restaurant you see on the way up to El Teide. We stopped because we were hungry and needed a place to eat. Judging from the outside we had no expectations. It is what it is which is a little place along the way up to the volcano. It's not fine dining. There are flies flying around inside. It is a little stinky inside. But the food was ok. I had the lasagna and it was decent. I wouldn't go out of my way to eat here but in a pinch it does the trick.

Highlight was bottle of white wine for 4 euros and it was great lol :)

• Visited February 2013
stratford upon avon
“Maybe I went on a good day?”
Reviewed September 21, 2012

We stopped for a snack and a coffee on the way back down the mountain and were really glad we did.
Great coffee and Tapas served on a balcony with what has to be the best view on the island.
Its "rustic" for sure, but genuinely so, and not created as such by some modern designers. Its also has really clean loos!

• Visited September 2012
Sandy, Beds
“Full of flies. Rude service. Mediocre food. To be avoided.”
Reviewed August 21, 2012

Arrived on a Sunday lunchtime on the way down from Mount Teide. A warm day with a slight breeze, so we asked to dine on the patio. 'NO!' said the waiter 'TOO WINDY'. But there were already two parties of people sitting out there and they didn't look as if they were about to be blown away. So we went indoors. Air-con not working so all the windows were wide open and the place was full of disgusting flies. A basket of bread arrived which was seized upon gleefully by the insect population. The food was instantly forgettable, the service was offhand and the prices were extortionate considering the dubious quality of the food and the surroundings. Fantastic location and great potential considering everything it could have in its favour. Unfortunately our visit was uncomfortable, unappetising, unhygienic and unhealthy. It's on the TF-38 - if you see then make sure you don't stop.

• Visited August 2012
Tenerife
“The meat was almost rotten”
Reviewed July 20, 2012

We ordered 5 meals, 3 roasted pork chops, roasted pork fillet, and fillet with pepper sauce, salads and canary style potatoes.

The roasted pork fillet and fillet with sauce were a little tough and not too fresh but otherwise OK, and at least the pepper sauce hid some of the past prime overtones.

The 3 pork chops ranged from bad tasting to practically rotten. We saw the cook stick her head out the kitchen and we now believe she wanted to see weather we would notice the disgusting meat she roasted. We complained and were told all the chops came from the same rack - a rotting carcass we joked about.

We were offered an exchange meal but were too disgusted to ask for anything else from the place. Even though we only ate the salads and "papas arrugadas" we were charged in full, not being one to make a fuss I'd rather not go again than have a discussion with the staff.

A shame for I used to go there with my dad loved the view and remember the food being up to local standard for roasted meats - quite good; sad,but not anymore.

• Visited June 2012