Albergue Bide Ona(Portugalete)
  • Beachfront
  • Bar/Lounge
Bellamar(Portugalete)
TripAdvisor
All reviewsthe rivertransporter bridgepuente colgantenice hotelfamous bridgegood sizetapasnext morningcentral bilbaosecure underground parkingferry portbreakfast servicetrain stationwould stay here againtwo daysenjoyed our staybusiness trip
Reviewed September 28, 2012

I stayed here for two nights as a base to see Bilbao. It is a great location with spectacular views of the port, the puente colgante bridge and overall a lovely area. For travelling into Bilbao there is the metro and the train. We took the train-it took about 20 minutes which was reasonable. On the day that we travelled into Bilbao there was a strike so I cannot comment on how frequent public transport generally is into Bilbao. The price for the stay in this hotel was far lower than anywhere we could get nearer to Bilbao where prices were extremely high. It also has a lot of underground, safe parking which is hard to get in Bilbao city centre. It was also extremely difficult and stressful to drive around Bilbao city centre so we were happy not to do it more than once!
The rooms were very reasonable for a 3 star and the reception staff were lovely. I could identify the particular grumpy waitress in the hotel restaurant from previous reviews straight away! However, the food was quite good.
The only very poor thing about the hotel was the shower-it had no power and just dribbled out.
I would stay in this hotel again but maybe in a room with a better shower.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 28, 2012

We got our room within 5 minutes and the receptionist was friendly. We paid 65 euros excl. breakfast for 2 persons. We choose this hotel because we thought we would got a somehow romantic hotel just next to the Puente Colgante. Unfortunately this hotel is nothing special, the rooms quite old and the area around the hotel without any animations!
In addition, the price ask for our (very) small park space (15 euros) is to our opinion too expensive (taking into consideration the fact that we saw that you could rent a similar park space for less than 100 euros a month...)
We didn't try the breakfast buffet as we were disapointed by our room standard and thought that asking more than 15 euros per person was a bit expensive.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank patrik_switzerland
Reviewed August 15, 2012

We finished a leg of the camino here. A long ugly boring leg through council flats / projects and factories belching smoke and steam skyward. Portugalete was a surprise however. Authentically basque in that there were few if any foreigners let alone pilgrims around the Sunday we were there. We had some great pintxos in a small basque bar before going to this hotel on the riverfront at the mouth of ria Bilbao. Our room overlooked the world heritage bridge which is undoubtedly a curiosity (it has pendulum style platform for cars that slides across to the other side of the river - it is the only passing point). The hotel is clean, has wifi and a lovely terraza that is popular with locals. The rooms are fine and the breakfast is good. We also had dinner here and it was reasonably good also. The service is broadly friendly and helpful.

While one might expect it, I mislaid an expensive SLR camera getting up from dinner only realising so the following morning. It was waiting downstairs for me rather than on e-bay so I am particularly greatful for that.

Please note there is no swimming pool or gym so they are not terrible - I couldn't umselect them.

Room Tip: Ask for a room overlooking the bridge
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 6, 2012

I stayed here with a group of students and teachers as we toured Spain for 12 days. Spent two nights here, and it was HOT! If you go during the summer, be prepared for a hot room. They have AC, but it really doesn't work. Very uncomfortable, especially on upper floors. Try to get a room facing the river--beautiful views. Lots of places to walk outside, whether you cross the river or not. I suggest crossing just for the experience. Costs 35 cents if you ride in the gondola, 5 Euros if you walk across the top of the brigde. I did both, and found both to be entertaining and interesting. Can't comment on the restaurant, as our food was part of a tour package and we ate what they gave us. The service was good in the dining room, however. Very picturesque hotel, but rooms are rather dated. Old curtains and bedspreads.

Room Tip: Upper floors are hot-- try to stay on a lower floor since AC doesn't work at all. But lower floors are noisier, since there is often a lot of activity outside the hotel.
  • Stayed: June 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed July 4, 2012

What a shame that my room for 75 euro looks nothing like the pictures on the hotel website. The room was clean but the linen and furnishings were on their last legs. A bit like the staff. My husband and I had dinner in the restaurant, and an English gentlemen on the next table asked the waitress (who spoke English) for a menu translation. This resulted in much huffing and puffing. It was only nine items to be translated. Well, seven actually when you take into account that two weren't available. And it was the fastest three course meal I have ever had! From arrival to departure, under 30 minutes. Perhaps a new Olympic event, speed dining ...
It was still early so we had a nightcap in the bar. The waiter was most surly when I pointed out that he had overcharged us.
Fantantic location, magnificent building, just needs new sheets and staff.

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled as a couple