“Nice river front hotel on promenade”

Gran Hotel Puente Colgante
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Portugalete
Wexford, Ireland
“Nice river front hotel on promenade”
Reviewed August 15, 2012

We finished a leg of the camino here. A long ugly boring leg through council flats / projects and factories belching smoke and steam skyward. Portugalete was a surprise however. Authentically basque in that there were few if any foreigners let alone pilgrims around the Sunday we were there. We had some great pintxos in a small basque bar before going to this hotel on the riverfront at the mouth of ria Bilbao. Our room overlooked the world heritage bridge which is undoubtedly a curiosity (it has pendulum style platform for cars that slides across to the other side of the river - it is the only passing point). The hotel is clean, has wifi and a lovely terraza that is popular with locals. The rooms are fine and the breakfast is good. We also had dinner here and it was reasonably good also. The service is broadly friendly and helpful.

While one might expect it, I mislaid an expensive SLR camera getting up from dinner only realising so the following morning. It was waiting downstairs for me rather than on e-bay so I am particularly greatful for that.

Please note there is no swimming pool or gym so they are not terrible - I couldn't umselect them.

Room Tip: Ask for a room overlooking the bridge
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (34)
Hickory, North Carolina
Reviewed July 6, 2012

I stayed here with a group of students and teachers as we toured Spain for 12 days. Spent two nights here, and it was HOT! If you go during the summer, be prepared for a hot room. They have AC, but it really doesn't work. Very uncomfortable, especially on upper floors. Try to get a room facing the river--beautiful views. Lots of places to walk outside, whether you cross the river or not. I suggest crossing just for the experience. Costs 35 cents if you ride in the gondola, 5 Euros if you walk across the top of the brigde. I did both, and found both to be entertaining and interesting. Can't comment on the restaurant, as our food was part of a tour package and we ate what they gave us. The service was good in the dining room, however. Very picturesque hotel, but rooms are rather dated. Old curtains and bedspreads.

Room Tip: Upper floors are hot-- try to stay on a lower floor since AC doesn't work at all. But lower flo...
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled with friends
Camberwell, Australia
Reviewed July 4, 2012

What a shame that my room for 75 euro looks nothing like the pictures on the hotel website. The room was clean but the linen and furnishings were on their last legs. A bit like the staff. My husband and I had dinner in the restaurant, and an English gentlemen on the next table asked the waitress (who spoke English) for a menu translation. This resulted in much huffing and puffing. It was only nine items to be translated. Well, seven actually when you take into account that two weren't available. And it was the fastest three course meal I have ever had! From arrival to departure, under 30 minutes. Perhaps a new Olympic event, speed dining ...
It was still early so we had a nightcap in the bar. The waiter was most surly when I pointed out that he had overcharged us.
Fantantic location, magnificent building, just needs new sheets and staff.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
London
Reviewed June 10, 2012

We had a very nice room with a view of the bridge. There was a wedding reception going on when we arrived so they were offering a restricted dinner menu. We had an excellent meal at a very reasonable price. Breakfast was really good. Altogether excellent value and a great hotel for a stopover for the ferry? We were glad we had a satnav as it would have been difficult to find otherwise

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
Paris, France
Reviewed May 20, 2012

You have to love a hotel that is located at the mouth of the Estuary of Bilbao, on the left bank with impressive views on the Vizcaya Bridge, a transporter bridge, which is less than 300 metres away.

The car ferry is suspended from a frame by wires attached to wheels on tracks above the cabin and moves from one side of the River Nervión to the other (Getxo) via a traction system.
This bridge was declared a World Heritage Site on July 13, 2006.

For a mere 13 Euros you can get a room with such a view.

The hotel is a 3 Star but could get an extra half... :-) Rooms are quite spacious and clean.

As most of my hotels experiences, this was a business trip, I stayed there during 7 nights and would come back for another 3 a week later. This business context is the angle with which I evaluate this hotel.

Breakfast:

Reasonably good cold breakfast cereals, fruit, ham, cheese, coffee. If you want eggs and bacon with toast, you must ask for it.

Service during Breakfast:

Some mornings there was nobody to greet you... I had to go to the bar next door to get my eggs order. One of the waitresses seemed very unhappy with her job...huffing and puffing every time someone asked for something, she even made some comments when a tourist did not understand what she was asking him. Not the best mood to be confronted with in the morning...

Rooms:

Rooms are quite spacious and clean, don't expect the latest in linen and decor, it's basic but quite sufficient. 13 Euros extra will get you a room with a view.
Aircon a little noisy and limited effect!

Bar:

The Gastrobar is Lively with locals and tasty Tapas, though to be honest a more authentic experience could be got from one of the smaller bars nearby.

There is live Jazz on Thursday nights (8:30 pm)

Service here was not exceptional, I guess the fact that I'm there for business and spend A LOT of time at the bar when work is over (I hate staying in my room alone...) makes it easier to spot things than someone on vacation would. I was usually hard to get a waiters attention and when you did, I felt like I was...bothering them. At one point one of them came up to me and asked if I would mind changing tables because apparently the one I was on was for 4 persons. Usually I would not mind doing so, but in this case... with me being the only customer sitting in the table area...I thought he was exaggerating, notwithstanding the fact that I had been eating there for 3 days strait and that you should treat a repeat customer with a bit more regard... He did not seem to appreciate my refusal and his attitude with me changed drastically after that.

For some reason you cant have lunch on the huge terrace they have... when I asked why the answer was...not very clear... It seemed to be some kind of internal rule... So with a beautiful sun outside we where forced to eat inside. Again, it seem's to me that when a client has been sleeping and eating in the same place for over 5 nights, you should be a bit more flexible.

Restaurant:
I didn't try it.

Business:

WIFI is free...but works on and off. I still don't get Hotels that cant guarantee quality Wifi, I mean it is the 21st century here Folks... When you are on a business trip, this is the worst that can happen. I also love it when you go to the reception desk and ask them about the problem and they look at you and say: '' It happens when there are many clients logged on''... as if this was normal.... How about investing in modernizing the Wifi set up? What really made me laugh is when they gave me a cable to hook up my computer to the internet... it did not work. Oh... and if you want to use their computer in the reception: 15 minutes will cost you a whopping 3.50 Euros, 30 minutes 5 Euros and 45 minutes 7.50 Euros. I think that's what I used to pay back in 1997 at the internet café for dial up access...

All in all it was a nice experience, I would come back but probably avoid the Gastrobar as much as I could... every one else was helpful, especially at the front desk.

Room Tip: Get the rooms with a view: 13 Euros extra.
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled on business
middlesbrough
Reviewed April 23, 2012

Beautiful location, and beautiful hotel. Ideal for people coming across from UK on the ferry into Bilbao with their car. Do need a sat nav mind you. 10 mins from the port. Outside the hotel there's a big transporter bridge taking people and cars across the river, quite impressive. Moving walkways outside the hotel to take you up the hill into the town, 2 mins max. Plenty of bars and restauraunts.

Room Tip: Rooms looking onto the river, some have small balconies
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank mickgosney
Brighton
Reviewed October 31, 2011

Stayed here one night before catching the ferry. Very nice hotel with great view across the river from our room. The room was spacious & clean and staff very helpful. A lovely meal in the bar, fantastic value. You must go on a trip across the river on the gondola, some nice bars over there. Breakfast is expensive; but nearby cafes do all you need.
Ferry terminal is a leisurely 15 minute drive.

Room Tip: Shop around & ask for one overlooking the river.
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple
3 Thank IfieldDiver
Also consider these accommodations in or near Portugalete
URH Palacio de Oriol Hotel
Sercotel Hotel Gran Bilbao
Hotel Embarcadero
Hotel Embarcadero
#3 of 5 in Getxo

Been to Gran Hotel Puente Colgante? Share your experiences!