“absolutely the best”

Cuisines: Mediterranean
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Reviewed October 15, 2013

This is the third visit,I think,that we have eaten here and its was probably the best meal on our entire holiday. Last year we ate here nearly verey night,it was so good.The food was superb,I cannot believe the last 2 reviews, were they at the same restaurant.
They have now opened a beautiful restaurant in Porto Petra,called Pavarotti and its really worth visiting,The decor is fantastic,with no expense spared including the amazing pizza oven,one of the most up to date I have ever seen.
unfortunately,the owner has some health issues and we would like to wish her all the best in a full recovery.
Also,thanks to all the lovely, staff.
We look forwrd to our next visit.
Michelle,Julia and Esther

Date of visit: September 2013
1  Thank michk

Reviewed September 8, 2013

We have been often here and always like the place, the food and service.
This week we had dinner with some friends and the place, unfortunately, lacked the atmosphere it used to have. The waitress was already complaining it seemed the end of the season as there were not many guests. Our friends were a bit afraid of visiting having read the previous reviews. I can now understand why. Although there were only four tables occupied, the service by the two waitresses was lacking. They never poured the wine and it took ages before getting something to eat. The whole place looked a bit tired including the staff. After 10 years of enjoying the place we have decided not to go back again.

Date of visit: September 2013
Reviewed August 20, 2013

Hi, I have lived in the balearics for 15 years and eaten out a lot. Its usually a mix of good and bad but eventually you figure out the better places. This place looked great from the outside but the experience that followed was really bad.

We sat down at 1950 and first impression was how expensive the food was for the type of food they served. After 20 minutes they gave us a pizza menu which they had forgotten. After 40 minutes they took our order. After an hour and a half we got our starters which were cold and not very nice and by now our children were really on edge as it was well past their usual time for eating and evening meal and well past bedtime.

We only got served our main main dishes when my wife got up to take the kids to the car so they could go to sleep.
Terrible food, unhelpful service and really expensive. 6€ for a 75cl bottle of water, unheard of.

Please dont go as you will feel disappointed with the food and angry at the price. It will ruin your night.

If any one asks me where to eat in Calonge I will tell people to stay well clear.

Date of visit: August 2013
Reviewed October 1, 2012

My sister and i have just returned from Cala D'or where we had a lovely, restful few days made all the more enjoyable by our visits to La Cascina on four nights of our five night stay. We are normally more adventurous in seeking out different eating places but apart from one very pleasant evening spent at the nearby golf club we just dare not take a risk and miss out on the delicous food Rachel (the owner) and her charming staff served up. My sister owns a four star, gold award, michelin guide Guest House in the Lake District so we pride ourselves on knowing a thing or two about good food. The veal dish I had in cream and mushrooms and herbs simply melted in the mouth and I have never had such a thick and tender steak in my life. It was huge and perfectly cooked (a` point). I am not normally a lover of pasta (which doesn't help in an Italian restaurant) but I have to concede that the lasagne was delicious and so tasty (freshly made pasta by the chef) and I was even tempted with the pasta parcels with lobster and another sea food I can't remember. My sister (who is frequently disappointed when dining out) loved every meal. The pizza part of the restaurant was closed for refurbishment but it didn't matter because the lovely little courtyard was so pretty and atmospheric with lovely lighting, old pots and little fountains. It was quite quiet on our first night but it gave us a chance to chat to Rachel (the owner) and our lovely waitress who both made us feel so welcome on our following nights. We were so glad that we didn't go into Cala D'or to the clutch of restaurants where it was packed out or down to the harbour which although very glamorous meant you got charged more for the location than the food which had always been a little disappointing on previous holidays. The harbour restaurants menus are all a bit samey. So in conclusion we were so glad we re-visited La Cascina for it's lovely atmosphere, genteel service and excellent food. I would say,however, that if we had been on hols for longer then we would have exhausted the choice on the menu so the addition of a few extra dishes would be quite welcome but all in all we shall definitely be making a bee line for La Cascina next time we are in Majorca and a big thank you to Rachel for some lovely relaxed evenings, delicous food and romantic atmosphere. Shame I was with my sister!

Date of visit: September 2012
2  Thank LadyNewton1608
Reviewed September 30, 2012

The location is great, there is no doubt. But locations like these are not that seldom in the area, and it doesn't explain the prices. The food is Ok, better than in average touristic pizzerias but it is completely overpriced compared to other places where the food is equal or better, and this even only a 100m away!.

Service is arrogant and only friendly with regular clients, nobody cares for you who may never return.

Location and atmosphe can add a special touch to your meals but if the prices are exaggerated, personnally, I lose my appetite.

Date of visit: August 2012