“Lovely Setting and great food”
Review of La Alacena

La Alacena
Ranked #3 of 35 Restaurants in Cercedilla
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Reviewed March 13, 2016 via mobile

We ate here whilst on a day trip to Cercedilla, the restaurant was empty aside from the three of us so there wasn't much atmosphere on this occasion although I'm sure this changes when it gets busy!
There are several antiques on display such as wooden skis, a sledge and snow shoes giving it a rustic theme.
The man who served us looked like the owner and I think he may have even cooked the food as well.

We ordered several small dishes to share the lamb with humus was particularly good as well as the prawns and peppers with squid ink. There was an extensive wine list and the bottle of red we drank was lovely.

It would be a good evening with a larger group of people, I will likely return next time I visit.

Date of visit: March 2016

Reviewed February 20, 2016

I had high expectations given some of the other reviews. I was a little disappointed. We were brought bread to start with a small amount of very nice home made liver pate. The table was set with one knife and fork each. We used our knifes to spread the pate on the bread. When our first course came - we both had goats cheese, our knives were replaced on the table, even though having residual pate on and we were expected to eat the goats cheese with the same fork and knife. We thought not to complain, but found this really not acceptable given the prices in this place. We had ordered the fillet steak. I order very rare and my colleague ordered medium rare. My steak was rare and my colleague´s was medium. The steaks were unevenly cooked so some parts were well done and others not so. Disappointing. The accompanying french fries were delicious, cooked I think in duck fat as they should be and lightly salted. I ordered a Madrid wine, Tagonius. It was brought to the table stone cold and we really couldn´t appreciate it for at least 40 minutes until it warmed up a bit. We declined pudding and had coffees instead. Overall 3 out of 5 maximum. The service was good and the ambience very nice. This place is expensive by Spanich standards. We agreed that we wouldn´t go back.

Date of visit: February 2016
Reviewed October 14, 2015

We went based on TripAdvisor recommendations and were satisfied with the food, although not blown away. We had the Portion sizes are large, service is good, and ambiance is good.

Date of visit: October 2015
Reviewed July 20, 2015

We spend a weekend in Cercedilla to get away from the heat in Madrid, and we came upon this lovely restaurant by chance. The actual restaurant is quite lovely, we dined under the shade of a venerable fir tree in the front garden and it was really pleasant. Inside the restaurant is equally impressive, really well decorated, interesting, and charming. The two men in black who served us were however as sombre as their attire. The waiter who brought us our wine just brought it to the table, uncorked it, left it on the table and walked away without a word. No interest, no manners. The first dish, which we shared, was very enjoyable; red peppers filled with prawns and mushrooms in a black squid-ink sauce. I ordered an oven-baked sea bass and it was just that. A whole fish, put in the oven and taken out again. No oil, garlic or any other seasoning to provide it with moistness or taste; therefore it was dry and boring. More effort went into my wife's "cod in pil-pil sauce" but the actual fish was rather tough, far from melt-in-your-mouth tenderness. As Cercedilla is not exactly a seaside resort, perhaps we should have tried the meat, but if you have fish on the menu, you should cook it properly. All in all, a really nice restaurant let down by a rather sombre service and disappointing cuisine.

Date of visit: July 2015
Reviewed April 26, 2015

Whilst on holiday in Madrid we met up with some friends who live in Madrid. They took us here for Sunday lunch. The menu was in Spanish and as my Spanish is non existent I would have struggled without their help. They suggested we order a variety of starters, vegetables etc and share these and likewise with the main courses. They said this was much more common in Spain and it was a great way to try different dishes.

We had two types of croquettes, moussaka and potatoes with eggs to start. All were nicely cooked and I particularly liked the eggs with potatoes. As mains we shared chicken brochettes, pork escalopes and braised oxtail. Again all nicely cooked. I had a pear pastry for dessert , my husband had a mango sorbet and my friends shared a tiramisu (which was huge). For all this and bread, sparkling water and a bottle of Rioja the bill came to €107. We could not believe how reasonable it was for such good home cooking. This is not fine dining just a friendly family run restaurant with good food.

If you have a car and are visiting the area do try the food here. I'm sure you won't be disappointed and you will also not worry about the size of the bill either.

Date of visit: April 2015