See what travelers are saying:
Reviewed November 16, 2013

We stayed in the off season at very reasonable rates. Our room was clean and from the terrace/balcony we had Vesuvius on one side and a sea view with the Isle of Capri on the other. People do make a difference and the staff were friendly, helpful and responded to our every need. A young man by the name of Ciro was extremely helpful but all staff did their best to make our stay pleasant. The breakfasts were generous and certainly ample to start ones day. The location really worked for us. It is out of the bustle of the bigger centers. We parked our car and used the mini-buses (1 Euro per trip) to get us back and forth to the train. Trains gave us easy access to Naples, Pompeii, Ercolano, Vesuvius and Sorrento. Thus the combination of price, friendly staff, location and a well functioning hotel leads us to recommend this hotel to travelers.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Mel R
Reviewed September 22, 2013 via mobile

Getting into the area is especially fraught if driving, as we were.  The Italian style of driving appears chaotic, disorganized, unruly, etc.  Expect lots of beeping as mopeds make people aware of them in an endless cacophany! Then there is the area itself which is residential in the most part and looks uncared for.  During the week it is quiet but at the weekend it has lots of visiting family groups.  It is not touristic at all. This appeals to me but it probably is not for everyone.  If you are expecting 4 * you won't be booking here in Torre del Grecco.

Driving into the area in our comvertible car and we feel conspicuousus amd the top is down and we are video recording.  I actually put the windows up just in case somebody tried to snatch my camera out of my hands.  I have to say; however, that we have spent time in San Remo, Florence, Rome and Naples and have only encountered one possible pickpocket attempt.  It was just a feeling I had whilst standing in the market place in Florence, of someone being much too close and of touching my bag.  Being brought up in London serves me well. I trust my intuition.

The hotel was relatively easy to find once on the coastal road.  It looks one of the nicest so you cannot miss it.  It is virtually oposite "Lido la Sirentta"

The car seems relatively safe behind the gates and from our large balcony, we can see the car, the sea and the mountains, as well as lots of low rised residential dwellings, some of which are covered in some graffiti.  The rubbish on the streets built up over the weekend as well which I found unattractive.

It is mid September and the weather is lovely.

The balcony is large and has 2 plastic garden chairs but a table would be nice.  It's a pity and there isn't any table in the room you can drag out either.

We are early by approx 1 hr but check in was easy and our early arrival not questioned.

The reception staff are wonderful!  They are warm, friendly, helpful.  Nothing is too much trouble for them.

The room:

It has a portable old style tv. A fridge with mini bar.  Soft drinks are 2e.50 and water is 1e50 so cheaper to buy it in a local shop.  It is well stocked though with drinks.

Our room is a little dated but perfectly clean and functional.  We are on a budget so get the cheaper rooms. There are recently renovated ones.The bed is comfortable.  There is road noise with the balcony door open but not too bad when closed.  I sleep well every night.

Air con works fine and is quiet.

The lampshade on my side of the bed is crushed but it works.  There is a telephone too.

We have been in the room 30 mins and a guy comes to fix the window shutter.  I had not realised it was broken.  It worked as far as we were concerned but oh well.  We stay whilst he fixes it.

I have time to notice the pale lemon walls are scuffed with dirty marks.  Some paint is peeling so there is bare plaster by the balcony door.  It is ok though.  For the price we paid of 55e I am not expecting too much and I feel we have chosen really well.

There are plenty of plug points in the room.

The bathroom has a toilet, bidet, shower, hand basin with scuffed old tap.  It is perfectly clean and adequate.  Large people may find the shower tight.  The towels resemble thick waffle sheets but I prefer these I am surprised to say.  There is a hairdryer and it works and some complimentary soap and one shower cap between us.  It doesn't bother us as we don't use them anyway.

Wifi is not available in the rooms, only in reception and communal areas but it works very well, even on the stairs.  Most of the time we have found that often even when a hotel says there is wifi in rooms, it rarely works anyway.  No false claims here.

We have come from Rome which is madly busy and this place is just so peaceful that I forgive it's lack of splendour, fashionability - it lacks all that but it is so quiet that I welcome all that I would normally expect from a resort - which this is most definitely not.  If you are from London, expect a more faded Jaywick or Clacton.   It has definitely seen better days, but I still like it.  It's like visiting an old Auntie somehow. :)

Eating out:

Locally there are a few restaurants, most of which keep Italian hours.  One that seems to be open all day and is very good is "Il Sorrentino" on Via della gatta. If you come out out of the hotel, turn right and keep walking until you see a yellow coloured sign for the restaurant.  It is down a side street and there is also a small supermarket and fruiters shop opposite it. Pizza is great, spaghetti al la vongole is delicious, caponata tasty. So good we returned and it is probably the best restaurant local to the hotel.

Returning back to our room and from about 4-6pm we simply relax on the balcony in the warm sunshine.  It is really nice.  Yes, we can hear traffic but after the traffic of Rome, this is tame in comparison.

Breakfast:  it is served from 7.30 to 9.30am.

It consists of fresh bread, butter, a variety of jams and Nutella spread, fresh fruit, yoghurt, ham, cheese, cereal, juices, fresh croissants (cornetto), tea, coffee, milk.

I didn't dine in house so I can't comment.

The cleaners clean your room daily and do a fabulous job.  The room is faultlessly clean.

Reception is manned 24/7 and you can get a tea or coffee at the bar any time and it is good value at approx 1 euro for either.

I really liked the hotel so we stayed an extra night.  We felt welcomed and were very comfortable here.  I shouldn't like the area as it is a bit run down, but I do.

If you find yourself in Torre del Grecco and you want a good budget hotel, I can say without hesitation that this is it and it is a quiet respite from town or city life.

I really commend the staff here. They are doing a brilliant job.

• Stayed: September 2013
4  Thank nicksibubs
Reviewed April 26, 2013

We stayed just for a weekend in March 2013 as friends; mainly visiting Pompeii and a bit of Naples. We found the room to be clean & comfy; there were *great* views, the food was lovely & the staff were very helpful. I do recommend this hotel, mostly for those with cars for convenience but were relying onpublic transport and we managed ok. You can message me if you have questions re public transport to/from the hotel & local area.

Check in is simple & brief, there is a lift & the hotel is quite large but still quiet & tranquil. At the end of each corridor, there is a balcony you can go out on to & the views across the bay of Naples are stunning! Our 3 person room was at the side of hotel facing across the bay towards the city of Naples. The seafront, although quite rundown & local is very nice for a stroll at anytime of day. Just next to the hotel is a small funfair that seems to be a permanent feature & we certainly would've gone there if we had time.

The room we had was a good size for the 3 of us,with a small mini-bar, air con & big doors out on to a big balcony with chairs. The patio doors have a big metal shutter that can be bought down-we presumed as a defense against bad weather, but I assume for blackout as well, as the curtains are thin & white. The bathroom was a reasonable size & very clean. All the staff w emet were friendly & helpful: most worthy of note is the breakfast waitress. She saw us at the train station on the way back from Pompeii, recognised us & gave us a lift back to the hotel in her car, chatting merrily all the way!

The food at breakfast is very good, continental style. There is a wide variety of juices & hot drinks, croissants and rolls, meats & spreads etc. The views from the dining room are spectacular & just lovely at that time of the morning - or evening! In the evening the staff are 1 chef & 1 waiter who work very hard & the restaurant doesn't come alive really until half 8ish. The food is really very nice; we had steak & chips one night which was gorgeous, gnocchi which was yummy and some great local seafood/fish. They aren't so forthcoming with a menu though so be sure to ask for one especially & the waiter doesn't speak English very well at all.

Transport wise; we took a taxi from Naples to the hotel which cost 60E. It was good just to get our bearings, but not a great option money wise. We went to Pompeii ruins on the Sunday. Outside the hotel on the opposite side of the road is a small bus shelter which is were the "shuttle bus" stops. Acording to Reception the bus will take you anywhere you want in Torre del Greco; it cost 1E per person, per journey, try to make sure you have the right money. There is no timetable posted & the general idea is that you just hang around until it comes! The shuttle is a plain white mini bus, but if you stand overtly, he will stop for you. We took the shuttle to Leopardi Train Station (the bus drops you off, you'll see a church ahead of you, go down the road on the right of the church & you'll come to Leopardi ahead of you).
Leopardi is on the mainline between Naples & Sorrento and Pompeii only took us 10 mins from Leopardi Station. The station itself is small, covered in graffiti, very quiet but clean. The ticket office is never open & the barriers are open all the time, so we didn't have a chance to buy a ticket, but did so on the way back: it only cost 2E if that. It only takes just over half an hour on the train to get in to Naples.

So yes, don't go expecting swift or clean-cut travel connections and you won't be disappointed. We had no problems getting to Pompeii & Naples at all. We found everything easy at this hotel; clean & comfy and they have a great tourist info pack at Reception, even if the translation on the info is a bit sketchy! If you're happy to take things at an easy pace then this hotel will be good for you. With the sea on one side & the mountains on the other, this a scenic location but just like Naples itself there is a lot of delapidation and litter around, which can be shocking at first.

Room Tip: Try & get a room with a view of the sea; views are great! Wifi connection in the Reception area was very good.
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled with friends
4  Thank Disney_Mushu
Reviewed August 13, 2012

This hotel is good for those who want to live among the locals and not the tourist with beautiful ocean views. At night we would go to the carnival next door. Yes you might have a problem with English, but you are in ITALY!!! So enjoy. We got the best Pamini from a truck parked along the fair markets (huge for 4E). We put the kids on some of the rides and enjoyed the locals on summer strolls.

Angela who works so hard serving the breakfast is about as sweet as her name. She will bring you a cappachino if you ask, coming from Seattle we are abit fussy about our coffee.

As far as the room goes, it was very cramped but we did not spend much time in our room. Parking was safe and gated. We ate at some of the beach front cafes but you need to remember that you have to eat italian time as they shut down everything during the hot time of day.

As far as complaints go regarding beaches is that you can always find the public beach as it is the one where the embrellas don't match. Every beach has one.

I suggest you drive to sorrento as it is very close and by freeway. Or take freeway to Messina. Beaches in Naples seemed dirty. Best beach is in Minori and parking is only 3E per hour. Great Free Beaches.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family
3  Thank Sandie02
Reviewed June 29, 2012

You would think that mid-June would be considered generally as a potential tourist season - but not in Torre Del Greco. The only thing open was a bar on the sea front, and upon asking if there was a restaurant open nearby we were told "no". The Hotel restaurant was open, if you wanted to sit on a gigantic round table for 10 people without a cloth on it and have your order taken by the chef who seemed to have personal hygiene issues.
The hotel is on the seafront, but you have to pay to get on the beach and the road is busy - could not have the window open at night. No terrace, no outside seating. It was good value - we paid 50 euro's per night B & B - and ideal for Vesuvius and Pompeii.
I would advise simply staying somewhere else - Castellmare looked ok, or in Pompeii town where tourists are well catered for.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled as a couple