My family and I had heard about Castello di Vicarello for many years from friends from all around the world. Because of the positive comments, we decided to end our 2010 European summer vacation there. Castello di Vicarello requires very specific directions and is difficult to find in Poggi del Sasso, but once you wind your way up through the medieval Italian village and turn off onto the long winding dirt road, all the challenge of making the trip happen becomes worthwhile. When you first enter into the castle-like entrance you feel a sense of welcome and awe. Beyond the gates lie manicured lawns, acres and acres of organic vegetable gardens, chicken coops, and hidden swimming pools. Greeted by the gorgeous and warm owners, Carlo and Aurora Bacceschi Berti, we felt like we were being taken into the arms of good old friends. They offered us a plate of cheese, a beautiful glass of fresh juice, and personally showed us to our room. Evidently the house in which we stayed was their private home when they were building Castello di Vicarello. The beds, pillows, linens were wonderfully comfortable. And in the hot summer days, the house remained a pleasantly cool temperature--no need for either an air conditioner or fan the way the windows were appointed to catch the Tuscan breeze.
We had our two daughters with us, ages 14 and 10, and they were made to feel equally welcome. Our girls immediately took a liking to the friendly hunting dogs which belong to the owners. I think what makes Castello di Vicarello such an incredibly wonderful hotel is that it really is the home of the owners. Needless to say, the owners have exquisite taste and have acquired wonderful collections of antiques from Java as well as Italy. Every room has its own sense of elegant charm. The style is slightly rustic so the furniture from Indonesia is old primitive teak such as big benches with wonderfully comfortable pillows, large wooden cabinets and charming hand carved (very old) tables.
The food at Castillo di Vicarello is lovely and made our stay and European summer vacation that much more memorable. The coffees, teas, rolls and fruits in the morning were the perfect start for the day. The lunch menu and dinner menu were all prepared in the owner’s kitchen with a very professional staff who put love and care into their production. The meals were authentic Tuscan cuisine ranging from Florentine steak to sausages to fresh pork to wonderful ravioli and pastas and of course always accompanied by an exquisite organic salad from their garden.
Carlo is a wine connoisseur and probably produces some of Italy’s finest wine under his own label, Castello Di Vicarello. He’s got some amazing vintage Cabernet and Merlots. We drank his wine every night absolutely loving every minute of it!
What I find most interesting about staying at Castello Di Vicarello is that there was not much to do, which is exactly what we wanted. We sampled yoga in the morning. They have a wonderful instructor from south India who is doing Hatha Yoga everyday at 9 am. We also sampled some of the Ayurvedic massage with their south Indian therapist who was excellent. We went on walks down dirt roads, sat on the lawn, swam in the pool, or sat on our front porch simply reading books and taking in the immense beauty of southern Tuscany. This is a place to go for at least 3 days to just take in the awe-inspiring beauty.
The vista goes on for miles and it’s truly a powerful experience delighting in the view of the rolling hills with all the beautiful trees. The country smells are wonderful and intoxicating. You breathe in and you want more!!
The entire staff was well trained, extremely courteous, professional and efficient.
Check in and checkout went flawlessly and as we left, the Bacceschi Bertis walked us out to our car to wish us well and encouraged us to come back again. We will definitely be returning to Castello Di Vicarello.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- At Vicarello, you will appreciate the calm, serene, and magnificent environment as well as the pleasures of the surrounding nature. We invite you to taste and savour the biological products cultivated on the estate and discover the local specialties, such as the freshly fished gourmet treasures of the Tyrrhenian Sea and the games dishes so typical from the Maremma. Tuscan flavours and Castle lifestyle are combined to make your culinary journey a real treat for the senses. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Booking.com, Hotels.com, Hotwire, Priceline, Travelocity, Cheap Tickets, TripOnline SA and HRS so you can book your Castello di Vicarello reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Castello Di Vicarello Hotel Cinigiano
- Castello Di Vicarello Italy/Tuscany - Cinigiano