“Wonderful Lifestyle Hotel in a fantastic environment”

Castello di Vicarello
Zurich, Switzerland
“Wonderful Lifestyle Hotel in a fantastic environment”
Reviewed June 9, 2014 via mobile

You come to Vicarello to experience Tuscan tradition, romantic evenings, quiteness, high quality food and wonderful, full bodied wines !
The rooms have no air condition as there was no such thing 100 years ago but there is always a nice breeze. You have two wonderful pools so there is room for privacy. The suites are all furnished with antiques, the amenities are house made and the paths to the villas are illuminated with petrol lamps instead of electricity. You wonder around the property finding yourself in another world.
Late lunches, late dinners with high quality food, simple but totally fresh and made to your likings.
You don't come here if you are looking for the buzz of lounge music, loud guests, seemless phone reception and constant comings and goings.
You come here to experience a tuscan family life style because it is a private home run as a special hotel. You come here to enjoy the slow food and taste the great wines produced by the host himself while looking at the grapes growing around you. The olive trees on the property produce a special oil which is worth buying a can and take home so your friends can share a bit of your unique experience!

Stayed June 2014
castellodivicarello, Direttore at Castello di Vicarello, responded to this review, July 6, 2014
Dear Mr. Eduardo

I would like to thank you for taking the time to leave your review on your recent stay with us.

You words are describing at best the owners' vision of what they wanted Castello di Vicarello to become.
A unique place lost in the wild nature, where times stop and live move slowly.
Castello di Vicarello wanted to be the unique place where people could go to when in needs of a break from busy schedule and stresfull life style.
A place where was possible to research themselves.

We are happy to know we were fully albe to communicate it and to allowd you to live such experience.

I will pass your message and kind words onto the team.

We look forward to the great pleasure to weclome you again soon.

My best Regards
Valeria Murri

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (13)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed May 31, 2014

We had a wonderful time at Castello di Vicarello - and only wish we could have stayed longer. We were there for 2 nights, with our 12 year old daughter and were lucky enough to be the only people staying (they were preparing for a wedding later in the week). The staff and the owners could not have been more welcoming and helpful,

The setting - in the middle of the S Tuscany countryside - is fantastic, the nearest town is a hour away, so you really are in the middle of nowhere. The room (we had a suite) was great - lovely old furnishings and plenty of space, and the bathroom was well-appointed. The windows were small and high, so there was no view from our room, but you only had to step outside the door to get panoramic views of the countryside.

We had both lunch and dinner and enjoyed some excellent Tuscan cooking - with some great wine.

One of the things that is so special about the Castello is the multitude of wonderful places to sit - all with equally fantastic views. The pools were great - the biggest challenge of the day was deciding where to relax next! Both my daughter and I also very much enjoyed our spa treatments.

All in all, a very magical place to stay (including the fireflies) - we would love to return one day.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
Dear Mrs, Hellen

I weould like to thank you for taking the time to leave a review and for the wonderful words.
We cheerish very much our guests' comments and opinions as they are the most powerful tools we have to evaluate our doing, be satisfy of the goods and work in order to improve our wickness.

It was a pleasure welcoming you and your family and we are looking forward to welcome you again in the nearest future.

My best regards
Sarzana, Italy
Reviewed January 7, 2014

I stayed for a couple of days in the middle of winter with my husband at the castello di Vicarello. We had a fantastic time. The castello is a breathtaking place decorated with excellent taste (although I'm personally not a fan of the hunting theme but other people may be). As the castello was empty at the time we were immediately upgraded to a room that was amazing. Our very own butler Simo, from Marrakech, was exquisite and offered us digestives, sweet wine and tea and coffee, free of charge, which we appreciated a lot. Contrary to other people's experience we had no surprises pricewise: wine price and dinner price clearly listed; we accessed spa facilities (incredibly beautiful) free of charge. Breakfast was good, with excellent home-made bread (prepared by Simo himself). Simo took us to visit all the other 6 rooms an I would recommend ours, il Giardino for a winter stay or the Vicario.

I would warn fellow travelers that the Chinese room that we were supposed to have could be a massive disappointment. I understand that the room gives access to the beautiful castle and dining room but I find it problematic that it is really diminutive (no space for an armchair) and although the bed is magnificent, it is a queen size bed not fit for a tall person. Moreover the room is split over two floors and the bathroom downstairs has no bathtub. To me, it should only be offered as an extension for a group or family staying in another, larger room. I think it might already be the case, as I understand guests are frequently upgraded when the hotel is not fully booked.

Finally, I have to confess we were flabbergasted at our arrival. The cook, apparently Indian or Pakistani, who first saw us and greeted us, immediately went to call "la signora", the owner. He returned with her husband who told him in Italian in front of us: "I told you you have to call 'la signora' when guests arrive". He was obviously extremely annoyed that the cook had found him instead of his wife for a reason we could not really understand and added "I will kick your behind" (he actually used a more vulgar expression)", in a tone that, to me, did not sound as a joke. The thing is that even if it was a joke, I have a hard time not finding the comment highly demeaning, when directed at a grown man as opposed to,say, a dog...

Again, I had a great time, as the overall rating of my comment shows. As a host, I find Simo was really topnotch, which compensates a little bit the first impression the owner gave us, especially since he was the one who recruited Simo. But I believe no one should be inflicted the humiliation of being treated as the cook was.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
castellodivicarello, Direttore at Castello di Vicarello, responded to this review, February 10, 2014
Dear Mrs. Ferrarini,

I would like to thank you for taking the time to leave us your comment on your recent Stay at Castello di Vicarello as it is the most powerfull tool we have to always improve the quality of our service.
Simoh is a very important member of our team.
He does his job with profound love and dedication and always looking out to the best way to make all of our guests happy.
I will pass him your wonderful words as the gratification of our guests is the best payback for our work.

Regarding the small issue you had a time of your arrival, I would like to apologize if created any disconfort.

Damith, our cook, has been with us for more than 9 years now, and he is a son to Mr. Baccheschi and therefore sometimes, as it happen in the best families, father and son get into small arguments.
Mr. Baccheschi is a native from Florence and tuscan people have a very colorfull way to express themselves.
I can assure you that they have a beautiful relationship and that Mr. Baccheschi will never do anything to intentionally hurt Damith or any other member of his team.
Please do not hesitate to contact me shall you wish to discuss this issue further.

Thank you again for your beautiful words and I am looking forward to welcome you agian soon.

Montauk
Reviewed November 11, 2013

Castello di Vicarello sets the highest standard for fulfilling the Tuscan visitor's dream experience. Owners Carlo and Aurora have transformed this piece of historic architecture into an artistic gem. The villa offers private, antique laden and well-appointed accommodations (we enjoyed two apartments that can be adjoined upon request). With every turn of the head the vistas are simply beautiful. There is also a wonderful freedom up there (and it is way up there in the Tuscan hills). We roamed through the vineyards and completely enjoyed Carlo's elegant blends, quizzing ourselves on vintages and varietals. We opted to take a cooking lesson with Aurora and now understand the true meaning of "joy of cooking". The property's olive oil is sensational! Like a good fairy tale, It was difficult to leave.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled with family
castellodivicarello, Direttore at Castello di Vicarello, responded to this review, November 16, 2013
Dear David,

I would like to thank you for taking the time to post your review on your recent stay at Castello di Vicarello.

It was very special time for us as well to welcome you, your wife and mother in law, spending evenings in the kitchen sharing cooking secrets while tasting the amazing red wine of Mr. Baccheschi.
They were some very special days for everyone.
We thank you very much for your kind words and we look very much forward the next opportunity to welcome you in Castello di Vicarello again.

My very best regards to you all

New York, New York, United States
Reviewed November 6, 2013

My husband and I have been to Castello di Vicarello three times in the last 4 years and it is magical! Aurora and Carlo Baccescchi Berti , are the example of the perfect Tuscan husband and wife proprietors. They have brought their dignified worldly style to this little gem in the Tuscan Hills. The decor, the fresh quality of the food and most especially the wine produced by Carlo in their own vineyards is superb. I have bought cases of it through the years. Aurora on the other hand is often in the kitchen creating the most delicious menu for her guests and attending to their every need during their stay. It's the perfect match in a fairytale setting.
Bravo to Carlo and Aurora!

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
castellodivicarello, Direttore at Castello di Vicarello, responded to this review, November 7, 2013
Dear Teresa,
I would like to thank you for taking the time and post your opinion on your stays at Castello di Vicarello.
It is very important for us to get to know the opinion of our guests as it gives us the chance to evaluate our doing and always strive to improve the quality of our service.
Castello di Vicarello is a unique place and we try in our everyday life to bring the old feeling of the Castello and combine it with modern services in order to provide to all our guest an experience hard to forget.

I would like to thank you for your kind words and I will pass them and share them with the rest of te team.

We look forward to welcome you again very soon.

New York City, New York
Reviewed November 1, 2013

The most beautiful location in a slightly off the beaten track (call it almost remote) part of Tuscany is where you will find this Castello. The experience - like no other. A sophisticated traveler will understand that this is the new luxury that all the great writers and thinkers are speaking about as a zeitgeist of luxury. Dinner at the host's table, walks around a vineyard that produces a few thousand wines only, hand picked decor that's unique and personal, a cooking lesson in the host's own kitchen learning to make pasta the way she loves to make it for her family. And hanging out on the sofa with the family and their dog - perhaps eating a tart baked for breakfast, drinking coffee and laughing about life and everything in between.

Guests will feel like they are truly home, home in the real sense of the work. A place where you are most yourself, most comfortable and most at ease. Bellisimo.

It's special and unique and will be a treasure forever.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled with friends
castellodivicarello, Direttore at Castello di Vicarello, responded to this review, November 4, 2013
Dear Daniel,
thank you very much for your comment and for your kinds words.
It is very important for us to know the opinion of our guests, these are the best tools to our hands to review our performances and to improve the quality of ou service.
By being a small, unique place, we work hard to give individual, special attention to each guest.
Spending time talking to them, exchange life experiences and get to know each other is what makes us different from others.
As the owners always say, this is our private home that we open to "Friends" and it is our biggest victory when we manage to achieve that.
It was lovely to have you staying with us and we trully hope to have the honor to welcome you again in the nearest future.

East Greenwich, Rhode Island
Reviewed October 30, 2013

After spending five amazing days at Castello di Vicarello in September 2013, I felt compelled to write this review, as it is not something I typically do. I have been to Italy several times, each trip was different and unique and always enjoyable. This time was the first time, however, I stayed in one location for so long, five days. At first I thought that might be too long, as the location was very remote and a good distance from any of the major Italian cities. This time I traveled with my sister rather than my husband and we had a mission for this trip. Firstly, of course was fun and of equal importance was to indulge our mutual passion for food and cooking. So in addition to staying at Castello di Vicarello, we also signed up for four days of cooking lessons with the proprietor Aurora Baccheschi Berti.
We arrived at the Castello in the late afternoon, it was raining. We were taken to our "suite" the Sassi Suite which should have been called the Sassi Villa, as it was very large! It was beautiful! It was elegant, certainly, but it was also very rustic yet cozy. The grounds were breathtaking even with rain! When the rain stopped one hour after our arrival, we walked the grounds, gardens and vinyard, we quickly realized that this place was like no other. But we realized far more than that in the coming days. Castello di Vicarello was not just asthetically beautiful. The staff was warm, friendly and extremely accommodating. Everything was done extremely well. While on the one hand we definitely felt pampered, we also felt like we were in someone's home, a very unique balancing act, that is done well at Castello di Vicarello.
Our cooking lessons daily with Aurora were the highlight for me. She was intent on giving as much technique as possible. She is a very skilled chef and has written a wonderful cookbook called "My Tuscan Kitchen".... I referred to it as "our text book"! We learned so much and are still cooking the many dishes she taught us, me on the east coast and my sister on the west coast.
I hope I am able someday to visit Castello di Vicarello again. It truly is a paradise like no other!
Sincerely
Joyce S

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
castellodivicarello, Direttore at Castello di Vicarello, responded to this review, October 31, 2013
Dear Mrs. Joyce,

Thank you very much for taking the time and leave your feedback on your recent stay with us.
This is veryi mportant for us as it is the only and most powerful way to evaluate our doing and improve the level and quality of our service.
You had such kind and lovely words for us and I will make sure to pass your message onto the rest of the team as are opinions like yours that give us the strenght to go on in our everyday dedication to our guests.

It was lovely to welcome and hosting you and your sister.
You cooking classes were so fun to see and I am happy that we were able to provide to you and your sister an amazing time.

If you ever plan to come back to Castello di Vicarello, please contact me directly and I will personally take care of your reservation.

Our best regards
Valeria Murri
Also consider these accommodations in or near Cinigiano
Castello Banfi - Il Borgo
Castello Banfi - Il Borgo
#1 of 17 in Montalcino
Castello di Velona Resort, Thermal Spa & Winery
Castello di Velona Resort, Therm...
#1 of 1 in Castelnuovo dell'Abate
Rosewood Castiglion Del Bosco
L'Andana
L'Andana
#2 of 22 in Castiglione Della Pescaia

Been to Castello di Vicarello? Share your experiences!