“Heaven on Earth!”

Castello di Vicarello
Malibu, California
“Heaven on Earth!”
Reviewed October 24, 2013

There is a famous song which goes, " I left my heart in San Francisco" Well, I have been home from Castello di Vicarello only 3 weeks and I am still telling everyone that I left my Heart at Castello di Vicarello. I spent 5 beautiful days there. It truly was the most Sensual, Mystical, Magical, Exotic, and Breathtakingly Beautiful place I have ever been! It gave me true peace of mind.

Vicarello sits atop a mountain surrounded by vineyards with views as far as the eye can see. I have to say the place itself is imposing and different from anywhere I have ever stayed; it is romantic, warm, homey, beautifully furnished and very comfortable. The owners and staff made me feel at home, like a guest in their home. They couldn't have been more accommodating.

The food was fresh, inventive and delicious!!! Breakfast was served outdoors with beautiful homemade breads, pastries, fresh fruit baskets besides making anything else I wanted. I always had eggs. Every detail, down to the place settings was beautiful and inviting. The Dinner Setting was different everyday.

I took cooking classes while there and learned a lot!! I have bought the cookbook, "My Tuscan Kitchen" and have made many dishes from it. It is one of the best cookbooks I own. Everything I have made has been successful and brings me back to Vicarello. I wrote a blog of my trip and refer to it often as I like to re-live the feeling I had while there. (twosisterscookin.blogspot.com) I did not want to leave.

I arrived with a tear and left with more tears. There are many places in this world to visit but this is one that I plan to return to.

Room Tip: Ask for Sassi Suite
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends
castellodivicarello, Direttore at Castello di Vicarello, responded to this review, October 29, 2013
Dear Sari,

what can be possibly said in response to such a review?!
I would like to thank you for taking the time and post your comment and I will make sure to pass it onto the rest of the team.
The opinion of our guests are the most powerful tools we have to our hands to evaluate our perfomrances and improve our standards.

This is not just a job for us, it is love, lifestyle, passion and dedication to share the beauty of Castello di Vicarello with other people.

It was a real pleasure to welcome you and your sister.
It was amazing to see how hard you followed the cooking classes and it comes as no surpirse that you are mastering all the recepits.

Please do come back and see us in the future.
Our doors and our arms will always be open to welcome you and your family.

Valeria Murri

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (13)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Singapore, Singapore
Reviewed October 24, 2013 via mobile

I have wanted to visit for many years since meeting the owners Carlo and Arora in New York , at an event. The cuisine , service and breathtaking view surpassed my expectations. Carlos wine is exceptional and coupled with good made with love made it even better. Thank you to the whole team for a truly memorable experience. We will be back :).

Stayed October 2013
castellodivicarello, Direttore at Castello di Vicarello, responded to this review, October 24, 2013
Dear Mr. James,

I would like to thank you for taking the time to post your comment regarding your recent stay at Castello di Vicarello.
We cherish deeply our guests' opinions as they are the most powerful tools we have to review our performances and improve the level of our service.
I will pass your beautiful words onto the rest of the team as from the appreciation of our guests, we take the energy to performe at our very best.

We look forward to welcome you again in the near future.

New York City, New York
Reviewed October 24, 2013

This is one of the most beautiful, elegant and professional places I've ever been. Serene and completely relaxing. The attention to detail, the warmth of the staff, the food is extraordinary (authentic cuisine) and the view and property are breathtaking. We visited this past summer for a weeks stay (2 couples) and have booked another week for summer 2014 for a birthday party (8 couples). We can not wait to get back.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Travelbird,

thank you very much for taking the time to post your review.
These are very powerful tools for us to improve the quality of our service and to get better and better.
I will pass your kind words onto the rest of the team as from feedbacks like your, we take the energy to performe at best everyday.

We are looking forward to welcome you again next summer for party time.

Moscow, Russia
Reviewed October 24, 2013

Very beautiful views of nature, there is everything necessary for a good rest, while the interior design of the rooms impress with their uniqueness. The cordial and friendly owners.
The hotel offers yoga, use the services of the SPA, receive a lesson Tuscan cuisine, taste their own wine, which does not yield to the famous Tuscan wines.
in addition, the owners of the hotel offer hunting for wild boar in their own hunting farm, located nearby.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
Dear Mrs. Sumenko,

thank you for taking the time to give us your feedback about you stay at Castello di Vicarello.
We really appreciate it.
Our guest's opinions are the most powerful tools we have to improve the level of our service and in the case of beautiful reviews like yours, we also take the needed energy to keep doing what we do at our very best. I will make sure to pass your words onto the rest of the team
It was a real pleasure having you to stay with us and I hope to have the pleasure to welcome you in the nearest future.

Reviewed September 23, 2013

My wife and I stayed here during our honeymoon last year and had an amazing time. We travel quite a bit and this is probably the most unique place we have ever visited. Fresh organic food, beautiful setting, and customized service. This is the type of place where if you just sit back and go with it you will have a great time.

We are already making plans to come back.

• Stayed October 2012
castellodivicarello, Direttore at Castello di Vicarello, responded to this review, September 26, 2013
Dear Jmort82,

thank you very much for taking the time to give us your feedback.
It was our pleasure to have you with us during your honeymoon and I hope that the first year of your life together has been amazing.

We are looking forward to welcome you back in the near future and please, once you have chosen your dates contact me directly and I will personally take care of your reservation.

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 4, 2013

My wife and I stayed at Castello di Vicarello for 5 nights in August 2013 and completely fell in love with the place. It's a secluded paradise - 20 mins drive from the nearest main road you find yourself in this beautiful 12 century castle, with views over the hills and valleys all around. The entire place is designed for relaxation and calm - with only a few rooms, 2 pools and lots of space it felt like we had the whole place to oursleves. The staff are charming and helpful, while the kitchen produces great food 3 times a day.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
castellodivicarello, Direttore at Castello di Vicarello, responded to this review, September 5, 2013
Dear Ljxw,

thank you so much for taking the time to give us your feedback on your recent stay at Castello di Vicarello and for your kind words.
We daily try our very best to provide a unique stay to all our guest and feedbacks like yours give us the lifeblood to keep on going doing our very best.
I will pass your comments onto the team.
It was a pleasure having you and your wife with us and I hope to have the pleasure to welcome you back in the near future.

New York City, New York
Reviewed August 30, 2013

As long-time travelers in Tuscany, I felt as if I was getting jaded --- until we arrived at the Castello di Vicarello. Like most epic things in Italy, the harder to find means the greater the experience. Once we made it through the gate with the subtlest of signs, we arrived in paradise.

Carlo and Aurora have created a hotel with the feeling of a private home out of a fairy tale. The setting is glorious. The buildings and grounds are rooms are incomparable. Two pools -- one travertine marble, one Bizazza tile, lavendar gardens, views for miles. No detail overlooked. The power of the beauty of the place is overwhelming.

Both Carlo and Aurora were warm and generous with their time, aristocratic, charming, patient. My 7 year-old daughter spent an hour in the kitchen watching -- and then helping make-- the pasta from scratch that we ate that night and no one rolled an eye. My five year-old boy was in heaven exploring the grounds. Carlo saw that I was electrified by the place and toured me around with a twinkle in his eye, showing me the spoils of his Fall hunts (the hotel sits within a thousand acres of land it owns), explaining the wine and olive oil they produce. It was as if I had walked into a technicolor version of Cocteau's Beauty and the Beast, but without any beast.

My wife was awed, as was I by the whole thing.

The meal we had that night was perfection, in a setting not to be believed. The wine they produce was amazing.

Most of all, however, what Aurora had told me turned out to be true. She had taken me aside at check-in to say that I would feel totally alone in my own private castle during my stay, until dinner, when I would realize that i was sharing the castle with others. Incredibly, it was true. We had one pool to ourselves, and then we would try the other. Not a soul. One night, after all the kids fell asleep, I went out the pool near our room (the deluxe grotta -- perfect for families), took a swim, and spent about an hour totally alone looking at the majestic field of stars above. I can't say I remember a purer, happier moment in the last few years than that.

I've read some snarky reviews here of the castello. I can imagine that if you are looking for an antiseptic hotel experience -- a villa d'este -- or the fawning, unctuous service of a famous, name-brand hotel, you might walk away confused. The Vicarello experience is unique. It is not designed to feel like a hotel, but rather your own private home deep in the countryside with a world-class built-in staff and chef (Rizzolli publishes Aurora's cookbook, and you only have to look at the blurbs on the back to know that she is very much the real deal). The Castello is not the place to go if you want to tour around all day -- Siena day 1, Florence day 2. It is its own destination, and we did not leave -- nor want to leave -- the grounds until we left.

I would go back every year if I could, winter, summer, fall, and spring.

Is it expensive for what you get? Not at all. If you look at expensive hotel experiences in italy -- il pellicano, la posta vecchia -- the price of Vicarello is minimal. And yet you walk away feeling as if you had a day or two of being a king, and maybe befriending these fascinating, elegant people who inhabit that kingdom.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
castellodivicarello, Direttore at Castello di Vicarello, responded to this review, August 31, 2013
Dear Mr. Clevenger,

we would like to thank you for taking the time to write your opinion regarding your recent stay at Castello di Vicarello.
It was a real pleasure to host your family during the summer.
Your kind words are what we take as lifeblood to feed our motivation and keep doing our job with love and dedication for all our guests.

Looking at the joyful face of your little girl when she was make fresh pasta was an emotional moment for us all as well as seeing your little boy carry the night lantern to make sure you all were going back safly to your rooms.

This are important moments, moments were you are building family memories and to know that we are somehow assisting you in do so, makes our job much better.

We look forward to welcome you all again at Castello di Vicarello.

Valeria Murri
Also consider these accommodations in or near Cinigiano
Castello di Velona Resort, Thermal Spa & Winery
Castello di Velona Resort, Therm...
#1 of 1 in Castelnuovo dell'Abate
#1 of 1 in Porrona
L'Andana
L'Andana
#3 of 23 in Castiglione Della Pescaia

Been to Castello di Vicarello? Share your experiences!